Small things Lexus can do to improve?

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
The designer of the current 2021 IS exterior is a great guy. I got a chance to meet him at the LA Auto Show many years ago during the debut of the Lexus LF-CC concept debut. His official title:

Lexus International Chief Designer Kenichi Hirai​

I hope he gets promoted to Head of Lexus Design, which I believe is currently Koichi Suga.

Koichi Suga - General Manager, Lexus Design - Lexus LS 4th Generation

What are you working on now?

Suga:“I don’t have a specific project because I’m now general manager of Lexus Design Division, so I have to manage our team of designers and guide the brand’s design direction. It’s a fun job educating these young designers.”

I personally think the LS was a huge disappointment in execution from concept to production. I hope he allows the new guard to take over soon.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
I hope he gets promoted to Head of Lexus Design, which I believe is currently Koichi Suga.

Koichi Suga - General Manager, Lexus Design - Lexus LS 4th Generation

I personally think the LS was a huge disappointment in execution from concept to production. I hope he allows the new guard to take over soon.

Suga-san is his boss. He's a good guy too. I have a picture with Suga-san and Sato-san on my desk.

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
More interior color choices, types of wood leather, wheels. Also more exterior customization, like type of pipe exust, darker window glass, two tone paint etc.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
More interior color choices, types of wood leather, wheels. Also more exterior customization, like type of pipe exust, darker window glass, two tone paint etc.

Darker window glass won't happen as this a regulated feature in different countries. In the USA, sedans can only have tint which is basically your UV coat on all the windows. On SUV's and trucks, any windows behind the front passenger doors can have privacy glass (embedded tint in glass, not film) usually about 20-30% depending on the manufacturer. It's illegal to have front windshield and front door window tint in some states.

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
What about wider tires? When I was driving on highway recently. Two cars in front of me, one GX the other MB (non AMG). MB tires were wider and it made the car look much better, more aggressive/powerful than the thin GX tires. GX tires in comparison looked weird actually, at least to me.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
What about wider tires? When I was driving on highway recently. Two cars in front of me, one GX the other MB (non AMG). MB tires were wider and it made the car look much better, more aggressive/powerful than the thin GX tires. GX tires in comparison looked weird actually, at least to me.

Wider tires are legal here in the USA. I know some countries in Europe won't allow this. GX is a purpose built full-time 4WD vehicle that is capable to go off road. Which MB are you comparing it to?

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
Wider tires are legal here in the USA. I know some countries in Europe won't allow this. GX is a purpose built full-time 4WD vehicle that is capable to go off road. Which MB are you comparing it to?
GLE if I remember correctly.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
X5 M or with the M Sport package... I think the tires on that thing are at least 10" wide. They're massive!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
One of the biggest opportunities, IMO, is around F SPORT.

- F SPORT vehicles should get a power bump, even if it's nominal (20-50hp)
- More interior trim options: open pore black wood, laser etched wood, new trim materials ... basic metal trim doesn't cut it above $50k, even if it's got a pattern or machinework to it.
- More interior leather options: black and red are fine, but I'd also like to see some cooler special editions (navy?), or maybe brown thrown into the mix.
- Leveled build options from factory: Level 1: F SPORT car. Level 2: F SPORT car + cat back exhaust or subset of options. Level 3: F SPORT car + exhaust, wheels, aero kit
- Standalone dealer-installed options like we had years ago when F SPORT accessories launched: wheels, springs, spoilers

An elevation of F SPORT like this would also pave the way for more desirable F SPORT Performance and F cars, IMO.

Will1991

Reactions
One of the biggest opportunities, IMO, is around F SPORT.

- F SPORT vehicles should get a power bump, even if it's nominal (20-50hp)
- More interior trim options: open pore black wood, laser etched wood, new trim materials ... basic metal trim doesn't cut it above $50k, even if it's got a pattern or machinework to it.
- More interior leather options: black and red are fine, but I'd also like to see some cooler special editions (navy?), or maybe brown thrown into the mix.
- Leveled build options from factory: Level 1: F SPORT car. Level 2: F SPORT car + cat back exhaust or subset of options. Level 3: F SPORT car + exhaust, wheels, aero kit
- Standalone dealer-installed options like we had years ago when F SPORT accessories launched: wheels, springs, spoilers

An elevation of F SPORT like this would also pave the way for more desirable F SPORT Performance and F cars, IMO.

We had some cars with blue leather, for the F 10th anniversary:

It was a limited run for RC F and GS F.

We also had some open pour wood inserts:

2020-lexus-is-i-blue.jpg

It was a limited run 2019 Lexus IS.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Did I already say front cams and around view cams in everything?
Carbon fiber interior trim option on LC and F SPORTS

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I would not say small but add torque vectoring options to the sportier models of its ICEV, HEV, PHEV, BEV line ups.

This is one area where Lexus is definitely lagging. The only ICEVs that have it are the RC F non-track edition, and the LC500 (someone reminded me the update LC500 has it) but it sounds like it has a brake-based torque vectoring, which is still probably a good start:

I know rear torque vectoring is not the holy grail of dynamic handling but most reviewers typically praise a vehicle with torque vectoring over the base counterparts with none. The new Golf GLI has brake-based torque vectoring, the new Golf R has torque vectoring. Most Porshe AWD vehicles have the PTV Plus as an option.

Anyone who says torque vectoring (or four-wheel steering) doesn't improve handling must be a professional race car driver, a professional RWD drifter or just plain ignorant.

I definitely wouldn't go for a >$100k car to get torque vectoring seeing how many of the competition already offer that in $40-60k vehicles.

I do value Lexus' build quality and reliability so to me it's really a waiting game. If not Lexus, maybe an Acura or maybe even something else if it takes more than a decade of waiting.

Reactions: RAL

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
More choices! The lease on my LS500 is coming up so I went into the dealership last night to chat about getting into a 2021, and was unhappy to find out that the Noble Brown interior (which I love) is no longer a thing. Also, exterior color options are limited now to 2 whites, 2 blacks, 3 greys, red (Matador Red Mica, which looks like a fire chief car), and blue (Nightfall Mica, which my current LS is, and is awesome). No green? No purple for @krew?