Reviews: The Fifth Generation (XF50) Lexus LS

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
When has an LS been clocked by a third party at 4.6 seconds 0-60?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I actually believe 4.6 is possible, but you have to know how to convince the software. Every once in a while I hit the pedal hard and I really do get all 420 foot pounds of torque for a second or two before the stability control prevents me from being further stupid.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
When has an LS been clocked by a third party at 4.6 seconds 0-60?

So far the only place the LS500 has achieved a 4.6s 0-60 is in a simulation 🤣 [source]

Note that the software they use is quite conservative, and real cars tend to post faster times than predicted (it assumes higher drivetrain losses). Their prediction of naturally aspirated RWD cars are surprisingly accurate though.

@Ian Schmidt is right, the question is how quickly the engine gets on boost at launch in real world scenarios. Inconsistent launch performance has always been why turbocharged Lexus fail to reach factory claimed numbers, the most notorious example being the IS200t/300.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
This reviewer largely gets why I love the car. And I appreciate the detail on the AWD system. I knew from driving in snow this last winter that it was more effective than the 4LS's, but I don't think that was spelled out well elsewhere.

What's the new cruise control like? It is similar to Caddy's super cruise?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
It's pretty standard "match the speed of the car in front of you" radar cruise, definitely not up to Super Cruise standards.

I'm expecting we'll see something more like Super Cruise with the refresh, given Toyota's promotion of their autonomous tech in the run up to the Olympics.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
It's pretty standard "match the speed of the car in front of you" radar cruise, definitely not up to Super Cruise standards.

I'm expecting we'll see something more like Super Cruise with the refresh, given Toyota's promotion of their autonomous tech in the run up to the Olympics.

It doesn't have the lane trace assist where it follows the car in front, or the lane keep?

Is it a separate package / option maybe?

Or maybe supercruise is more advanced than i've been led to believe?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
My understanding is that only JDM versions actually steer themselves. The US-spec can auto-brake, and rumbles the steering wheel if you're too close to the edge of the lane, but anything like self-driving is reserved for the better-mapped road network of Japan.

Caddy's Super Cruise has equivalent capability to Tesla's system, except it refuses to engage on normal city streets (highway only) and has much better driver attention lockouts (defeating Tesla's so you can sleep while it drives or whatever is a thriving third-party industry). Some reviewers have said it does a better job than Tesla.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

The total package offers up the luxury that’s expected, and the 31 mpg highway isn’t something to sneeze at, especially given this car’s weight. This version of the LS does exactly what it’s supposed to do – be a comfortable cruiser that eats miles without a huge penalty at the pump, while offering some passing punch and being just competent enough when it comes to handling to avoid being a complete snooze.

If you’re the boss, and you want to be pampered while being green, this is for you.

Reactions
For those wanting an outgoing MY20 LS, as much as $9,000 off in incentives
Now that it's reached the end of the 2020 model year, the Lexus LS features a massive $6,000 cash incentive in most parts of the country. Even better, Lexus is offering a $3,000 bonus when choosing a limited-edition Inspiration Series model. That's $9,000 in potential savings. But there's another way to save money, too.

Alternatively, Lexus Financial Services (LFS) is offering 0% APR for 60 months. The $3,000 Inspiration Series bonus is still available, but buyers get the added incentive of a $1,000 APR Bonus simply for financing. Altogether, you can now save up to $4,000 and get zero-interest financing to boot through September 30.