Reviews: The Fifth Generation (XF50) Lexus LS

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I personally believe S Class is the better car, but you also have to pay for that - and it's a lot - so it should be better. And LS would easily be my second place pick over 7er, A8, and others.

True. Both are in a different league compared to others.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Even in it's old(er) age, S Class is still a wonderful car. The new LS is more athletic, but there are some key areas where the Mercedes is still ahead: infotainment, customization, engines, safety technology, overall luxury options.

As Ian mentioned above, the S Class and LS are more different now than they've ever been. Historically, they've both been using the same formula but Lexus changed direction a bit with the 5LS, while Mercedes has stayed true to the mission.

I personally believe S Class is the better car, but you also have to pay for that - and it's a lot - so it should be better. And LS would easily be my second place pick over 7er, A8, and others.

I think S class is good and gorgeus car but as a young adult we and other millenials share opinion that all Mercedes sedans are outdated in looks. They are like Volkswagen boring to look, something that familyman or pensioner would buy :/

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think S class is good and gorgeus car but as a young adult we and other millenials share opinion that all Mercedes sedans are outdated in looks. They are like Volkswagen boring to look, something that familyman or pensioner would buy :/

Are any millennials fawning over flagship luxury sedans? I don't think so, personally. LS is definitely the most dynamic looking though.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Are any millennials fawning over flagship luxury sedans? I don't think so, personally. LS is definitely the most dynamic looking though.
I meant that LS A8 7-Series are more aggressive and better looking. I don't know about US but in Europe (EU) MB is not sexy.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I meant that LS A8 7-Series are more aggressive and better looking. I don't know about US but in Europe (EU) MB is not sexy.

I would say that in USA:

- A8 is primarily bought by people who want to be "under the radar," so not much caché for the layperson.
- 7er is also kind of a has-been car... I feel like it's primarily purchased by people who are just moving up through the BMW lineup, or people who have just "always had a 7 series."
- Panamera is badass and definitely has a solid following and lust factor.
- Model S - generally bought by techies and early adopters.
- LS - historically an older customer, and I don't have any real first hand experience with the LS 500 to provide an updated opinion. I'd like to think it is a younger and more performance oriented consumer, but I haven't really seen that in the few of them I've seen on the road.
- S - still very aspirational, has the most caché, the default, de-facto flagship luxury sedan, status symbol.
- XJ - bought by old ladies with big gray hair, oversize pearl necklaces and bright red lipstick.

Wildcard: I just saw my first refreshed CT6 on the road this week, and WOW. That really is a good looking car from the outside. It's a shame that it's headed out to pasture.

vehicles-ct6-gallery-exterior-01-l-m.jpg

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Wildcard: I just saw my first refreshed CT6 on the road this week, and WOW. That really is a good looking car from the outside. It's a shame that it's headed out to pasture.

vehicles-ct6-gallery-exterior-01-l-m.jpg

Cadillac CT6 is getting something of a reprieve. It and the Chevy Impala will see an extended manufacturing run until January 2020, and the order books have even been reopened on the tantalizing CT6-V (albeit at a price thousands of dollars higher than the first 250 or so hand-raisers).

Cadillac also has to manufacture its next-gen RWD sedans (CT4 and CT5) somewhere. I have a perhaps naïve gut feeling that CT6 may see an 11th-hour reprieve, with its production moved either under the same roof as the new sedans or perhaps imported from China if some sort of tariffs and trade accord is reached between President Trump and China.

Serpens

Fan
Reactions

You definitely shouldn't speak for all millenials, as we're of differing opinons. Also Mercedes' average buyer age has declined in the last 5 years, so apparently their styling is resonating with younger people after all.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
You definitely shouldn't speak for all millenials, as we're of differing opinons. Also Mercedes' average buyer age has declined in the last 5 years, so apparently their styling is resonating with younger people after all.
I could bet that models attracting younger buyers are coupes and SUV. Not C or E.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

While I really like where Mercedes style is at right now... $30-$35k models like A Class, CLA and GLA probably have more to do with the average age of their buyer declining.

Serpens

Fan
Reactions
I could bet that models attracting younger buyers are coupes and SUV. Not C or E.

They all share the same design language, so that point is moot.

While I really like where Mercedes style is at right now... $30-$35k models like A Class, CLA and GLA probably have more to do with the average age of their buyer declining.

This is true along with increased C-class sales. The GLC also sells better than its predecessor GLK. Regardless, they all have a very close family resemblance so the styling is resonating.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

There are people out there that dislike Mercedes design? :neutral:

The single greatest thing about Mercedes is their commitment to being the best. They may miss the mark occasionally, but by and large, Mercedes is the most dominant force in luxury automotive. I would never bet against them.

The crazy thing is, I feel like Lexus was right there with Mercedes until they hit the reset button in 2012 with the introduction of the spindle grille and the great DESIGN branding push that ensued. With so many resources allocated to revamping the Lexus character, there was no way for product to maintain the same level as Mercedes and it's been a bumpy road ever since.

I would say that in USA:

- A8 is primarily bought by people who want to be "under the radar," so not much caché for the layperson.
- 7er is also kind of a has-been car... I feel like it's primarily purchased by people who are just moving up through the BMW lineup, or people who have just "always had a 7 series."
- Panamera is badass and definitely has a solid following and lust factor.
- Model S - generally bought by techies and early adopters.
- LS - historically an older customer, and I don't have any real first hand experience with the LS 500 to provide an updated opinion. I'd like to think it is a younger and more performance oriented consumer, but I haven't really seen that in the few of them I've seen on the road.
- S - still very aspirational, has the most caché, the default, de-facto flagship luxury sedan, status symbol.
- XJ - bought by old ladies with big gray hair, oversize pearl necklaces and bright red lipstick.

:heart_eyes:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The crazy thing is, I feel like Lexus was right there with Mercedes until they hit the reset button in 2012 with the introduction of the spindle grille and the great DESIGN branding push that ensued. With so many resources allocated to revamping the Lexus character, there was no way for product to maintain the same level as Mercedes and it's been a bumpy road ever since.

Well said - agreed.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions

I'll raise my hand on that. I think the current S looks dated in the age of Sedans With No Headroom. The rest of their lineup is attractive but definitely trending towards "vulgar" with the light-up 3-pointed-star and stuff like that. I can't wait for gold plating and Bedazzling to become factory options on the C and E Class.

Serpens

Fan
Reactions

The single greatest thing about Mercedes is their commitment to being the best. They may miss the mark occasionally, but by and large, Mercedes is the most dominant force in luxury automotive. I would never bet against them.

Agreed. I find it personally frustrating to see Lexus like this because I know there's no shortage of talent. I'd love to see Lexus reestablish themselves as a product leader with this next generation of vehicles.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Agreed. I find it personally frustrating to see Lexus like this because I know there's no shortage of talent. I'd love to see Lexus reestablish themselves as a product leader with this next generation of vehicles.

I think there's a lot of opportunity for Lexus, because with TNGA they've finally got the actual driving right. They just need to drop a PHEV LS in 2021 and blow up the category.

Serpens

Fan
Reactions
I think there's a lot of opportunity for Lexus, because with TNGA they've finally got the actual driving right. They just need to drop a PHEV LS in 2021 and blow up the category.

They're going to have to go bigger than that. Mercedes is dropping their all electric EQS in 2022.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Given the only coherent fast charge network in North America is Tesla's I don't see how that's gonna work. PHEV is the way forward until probably 2030.