Reviews: The Fifth Generation (XF50) Lexus LS

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
According to an article I read in Motor trend. Apple car play and Amazon Alexa will be in LS500 and many other models. that is big plus to the infotainment system. I think all the news that we have had in the last 2 days lexus is very much on the right track. I just hope the ls sales continue.

momers

Fan
Reactions
Some praise from Road & Track here: What Is the Future of Luxury?

"Yet Lexus has extracted an ornament from an inconvenience. Shorn of the responsibility to hold up a balance sheet, the LS 500 is free to serve as a branding talisman, a corporate mission statement rendered in sinuous metal."

"On the twisting path to the Mount Wilson Observatory, the LS 500 confirms its excellence as a driver’s car, never experiencing brake fade and permitting a small but gratifying amount of sideways attitude before the stability system clamps down gently but firmly."

"While the LS’s combination volume-and-track-selection knob is a work of functional art and should be standard in every car, accessing other features requires a tiresome slog through the center-console menu."

"The transition from cover band to concert headliner suits the LS. Rightly renowned since its birth for being durable, it can now also be characterized as desirable."

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
You take new pics yet at @Ian Schmidt ?

It's rained here in northern MD I think every day for like 3 weeks now. Not an ideal situation to get the car detailed up.

Regarding the article, I think it made a different point from what you're saying, which is that Lexus is no longer chasing the S-Class, they're making their own car on their own Japanese terms. And that they're both great cars for what they're trying to do. Dude-bros who demand that full-size luxo-barges go at Porsche-like speeds can pay the horrifying markup (and depreciation) on the S63; smarter money buys an LS500 (or if you're a committed badge whore, an S550) and a Vette Z51. Or, heck, a Performance Package Model 3.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@Ian Schmidt yeah it has rained!! so much lol!!! take them when you can sir!! :) now that you say that your right but i never thought the LS ever chased the sclass.. but i'm probably wrong. I just think the LS is much better than the Sclass!! these cars don't need speed.. Yeah the S63 is very costly..

lmao i'm none of them!!!!!! sticking with the 5LS

Reactions
Lexus LS500 F-Sport AWD Review by Matt Maran Motoring.

Saw this in my list of recommended videos today!

The review was also very positive (like most reviews of the LS) but there was one weird issue that he noted. If you guys want to watch the video then don't click on the spoiler. If you don't however......

"There was a huge delay when the transmission tried to go from reverse to drive. Which caused problems for him on hill starts. Is this a safety issue or?"

Last edited:
Reactions
Awesome article!!! I knew no one is missing the V8..

Don't be so quick to make such conclusions. I know you mean in comparison to the 4.6 L V8; and yes, the TTV6 obviously more superior than the V8, but I just want to let you know that the LS needs a V8 option in general, namely a TTV8. The TTV6 in the LS, despite its greatness, if it wants to stay competitive, it needs to have a V8 under the hood.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
We will know about LS F soon enough, but I think Lexus has an opportunity to evolve the F strategy for this car into something that we haven't seen before - and capture both high performance shoppers and those who are looking for - and willing to pay for - "more" in general. I have a feeling that LS F will be the "super LS" that many of us have dreamed of, but not just in the realm of performance.

Will it be fast? Yes. Will it have quad exhaust and the fender vent? Probably. But let's be honest: Lexus' historical approach to F Sport might not work so well on a 5,000 pound, full size luxury sedan. They can't just put aluminum and carbon fiber trim inside a flagship car that costs ~$110k... the audience isn't going to be looking for that.

I am expecting higher end trim options like an open pore black woodgrain with laser etching or aluminum framing, a unique door insert pattern like the pleated one on the kiriko glass optioned interior, more alcantara, a unique steering wheel, etc. etc. I feel like their approach to this car will be "more LS" instead of just "more performance."

Looking at what a 750i and S560 costs, Lexus could easily position the LS F against them with a pricing strategy but punch above their weight at S63, S8 and Panamera GTS, etc.

LS 500 starts at $75k. I don't see why this car can't start around $100-110k and appeal to both the "ultra flagship" shopper as well as the high performance shopper.

Such a strategy would eliminate the need for a mid-level LS with a V8.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
We will know about LS F soon enough, but I think Lexus has an opportunity to evolve the F strategy for this car into something that we haven't seen before - and capture both high performance shoppers and those who are looking for - and willing to pay for - "more" in general. I have a feeling that LS F will be the "super LS" that many of us have dreamed of, but not just in the realm of performance.

Will it be fast? Yes. Will it have quad exhaust and the fender vent? Probably. But let's be honest: Lexus' historical approach to F Sport might not work so well on a 5,000 pound, full size luxury sedan. They can't just put aluminum and carbon fiber trim inside a flagship car that costs ~$110k... the audience isn't going to be looking for that.

I am expecting higher end trim options like an open pore black woodgrain with laser etching or aluminum framing, a unique door insert pattern like the pleated one on the kiriko glass optioned interior, more alcantara, a unique steering wheel, etc. etc. I feel like their approach to this car will be "more LS" instead of just "more performance."

Looking at what a 750i and S560 costs, Lexus could easily position the LS F against them with a pricing strategy but punch above their weight at S63, S8 and Panamera GTS, etc.

LS 500 starts at $75k. I don't see why this car can't start around $100-110k and appeal to both the "ultra flagship" shopper as well as the high performance shopper.

Arent most expensive LS500's already pushing $110k?

I think that is the reason they will have both V8 version and LS-F.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

So, a Lexus Maybach. They need something like that.

I don't know if MB still offers non-Maybach V12 S-Class these days. The S65 is discontinued right?