Puzzling Spy Shot

Will1991

Reactions
Yes, I've been well aware of that since it followed release of the N200 Tacoma in October 2004.

What are you trying to state? Toyota isn't automatically abiding by past lifecycles, so it doesn't really have any bearing on new generations going forward.

I already said an EOP of June 30, 2022 was once given for the 3rd generation Tacoma, but that has changed. This being another update, one has to wonder why 5-6 years in? (Versus last year.)

Everyone is trying to push for more SUV's as they usually command higher profit margins, maybe they want to rearrange product line up and avoid questions about segment position?

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Everyone is trying to push for more SUV's as they usually command higher profit margins, maybe they want to rearrange product line up and avoid questions about segment position?

Do you mean in terms of model lifecycles by rearrange?

Reactions
Yes, I've been well aware of that since it followed release of the N200 Tacoma in October 2004.

What are you trying to state? Toyota isn't automatically abiding by past lifecycles, so it doesn't really have any bearing on new generations going forward.

I already said an EOP of June 30, 2022 was once given for the 3rd generation Tacoma, but that has changed. This being another update, one has to wonder why 5-6 years in? (Versus last year.)
Sometimes to predict the future you must look at the past

Will1991

Reactions
Do you mean in terms of model lifecycles by rearrange?

Regarding model position... USA buyers can now have:
-> 4Runner;
-> Sequoia;
-> Land Cruiser V8

If I understood correctly, Toyota will also give a cheaper LC (and here my guess is offering a all-new J150/Prado to the US), so the end result would be:

-> Prado;
-> 4Runner;
-> Sequoia;
-> LC V8
And for this to make economical sense for Toyota to offer both LC's, both 4Runner and Sequoia will have to move upmarket.

Even if they forget the LC V8 for the USA (which I think highly unlikely), they would have to move them even more upmarket....

Only recently I've understood how amazing TNGA is, they have so much more freedom while enjoying big financial savings... And while it started slowly, it's starting to make sense since they're improving almost all factories and moving production around to increase savings even more. And this takes time and money.
Look for US production from their last press release, they can save so much money and improve manafacturing efficiency...
Look to Europe, they're now producing HSD's powertrains in Europe and TNGA gives them the capability to make almost all options on the same factory... The other day I was reading a SAE article from Toyota, and since TNGA even the PCU (from HSD system) is modular, it's amazing.

The same thing will be possible to car production, just look to the Yaris based SUV, it's a new model and it will be made next to the Yaris... Easy adaptation...

Wan't a PHEV/BEV version? No problem, just bring in the battery pack...

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Regarding model position... USA buyers can now have:
-> 4Runner;
-> Sequoia;
-> Land Cruiser V8

If I understood correctly, Toyota will also give a cheaper LC (and here my guess is offering a all-new J150/Prado to the US), so the end result would be:

-> Prado;
-> 4Runner;
-> Sequoia;
-> LC V8
And for this to make economical sense for Toyota to offer both LC's, both 4Runner and Sequoia will have to move upmarket.

Even if they forget the LC V8 for the USA (which I think highly unlikely), they would have to move them even more upmarket....

Only recently I've understood how amazing TNGA is, they have so much more freedom while enjoying big financial savings... And while it started slowly, it's starting to make sense since they're improving almost all factories and moving production around to increase savings even more. And this takes time and money.
Look for US production from their last press release, they can save so much money and improve manafacturing efficiency...
Look to Europe, they're now producing HSD's powertrains in Europe and TNGA gives them the capability to make almost all options on the same factory... The other day I was reading a SAE article from Toyota, and since TNGA even the PCU (from HSD system) is modular, it's amazing.

The same thing will be possible to car production, just look to the Yaris based SUV, it's a new model and it will be made next to the Yaris... Easy adaptation...

Wan't a PHEV/BEV version? No problem, just bring in the battery pack...
There is going to be no V8 offered in the trucks and SUVs anymore. This is definitely a given. The TTV8 will be the only TMC 8 cylinder alongside hybrid Century/600h UR V8 going forward.

They are not going to offer two Land Cruiser nameplates in the US. The next Land Cruiser is going cheaper per one of our admins and is losing the luxury focus.

Someone else informed has also confirmed (independently) the August production date relating to an unchanged 200, but claims he is unaware about any redesign other than it being approved internally. Seems to me our admin here just knows more than he does, because CY 2021 will defintiely replace 200, but will that apply to USA or will this new beast, be the next generation Prado arriving stateside instead?

Best car web is wrong or they are referring to an early unveiling in the form of a concept or LC500 style early reveal via prototype vehicle (not concept).

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
p.s. just for clarity reasons, Prado is more expensive than 4Runner. Both LC150 and LC200 are still pretty luxurious even in base trims, quality of materials is still good.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
p.s. just for clarity reasons, Prado is more expensive than 4Runner. Both LC150 and LC200 are still pretty luxurious even in base trims, quality of materials is still good.
Ever since the GX470 made its motor show debut in January 2002, months ahead of the 120 series LC unveiling, I have automatically known the Prado nameplate to be luxury and it's seen that way (status symbol) in many developing and undeveloped nations.

I have always disliked the cynical disdain towards the Prado in Western Europe, like it's some overpriced cheap quality SUV. It was good enough to be a Lexus basis and wear the Land Cruiser name, so I've disagreed quite a bit.

I imagine some people aren't aware of it being more expensive, but I've known that since youth LOL.

The 90 series was almost there in execution, but not quite. 120 was a revolution, especially because a Lexus version became a factor in 1998 during early development and it forced a major change for the N210 4Runner.

My thing is, it can hurt the 4Runner if it had to go cheaper against the next gen Prado (as USA LC) or affect GX, if it is too similar.

They'll get it right I imagine.

I really do have to wonder what is going on though? Are these unsubstantiated rumors definitely addressing death of 200 in US and no direct replacement, giving way to halo mobile along the lines of FJ40 in modern form?

What I recall hearing from our admin ;) privately is, "ultimate..." And he didn't mean luxury with a Toyota badge. Is there a separate TNGA SUV being possibly developed to compete with niche market vehicles?

Probably not, but nice to speculate of course.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
If the 4Runner goes in the direction as a FJ revival and compete against Wrangler and Bronco then it won't have the problem of a LCP competing against it. And this strategy is guaranteed to work. It's working for Jeep, and we know Toyota truck enthusiasts REALLY want the FJ back. The current 4Runner unfortunately has to be the FJ and LCP at the same time, and it's good at being neither.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
If the 4Runner goes in the direction as a FJ revival and compete against Wrangler and Bronco then it won't have the problem of a LCP competing against it. And this strategy is guaranteed to work. It's working for Jeep, and we know Toyota truck enthusiasts REALLY want the FJ back. The current 4Runner unfortunately has to be the FJ and LCP at the same time, and it's good at being neither.

that's exactly what i wanted and i thought it will be, i even wrote it before

let the 4Runner rugged looks with a real solid axle as the new generation FJ & 4Runner
let the LCP replacing the current 4Runner in the lineup
then Sequoia & LC300 shall have their own normal arrangement

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The american 4Runner is what the rest of the world has as Fortuner. Prado and Fortuner in the rest of the world are as 4Runner and GX in america.