Puzzling Spy Shot

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
burlappcar-toyota-4runner.jpg
I'm not sure what this is supposed to be or represent , but the amount of camouflage says FMC/redesign, but my better knowledge makes me question the timing.

Seems like Fortuner, but way covered up for just a facelift. I'm used to Fortuners in Africa.

Will1991

Reactions
Maybe TNGA Hillux/Fortrunner?

They should be able to improve profits with this new platform, so it’s in their interest to do it.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Mid East / Africa / South Asia are the main markets

And honestly I got astonished from how many I found from it in Egypt, every time you go down to the streets for anything you will find it

It has a factory in Egypt also , not Toyota but licence and been made in AAV factory there

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
The same lot of pics had camouflaged Hilux‘s with the Fortuner aswell
Really? Can you recall where? The source of this photo tends to be very forgetful or obtuse at times, that it I tread carefully following his content.

I have had concerns this is doctored by someone else or old. The C and D pillars seem too carryover, plus whatever is on the bonnet/hood seems PSed and photo is very blurry.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
@Carmaker1 thank you for reminder about Vince Burlapp, i have not visited that page in years.

LOL, maybe it's a good thing you didn't remember. Very hit-or-miss website at times (often). He called this the 2021 4Runner. Common sense says it's not. I'm not perfect either, but never would my mind go there.

p.s. they are freeing up production in the US for something...

Other than business with Mazda, I can't imagine if it's 4Runner related. The next Land Cruiser is allegedly more of a toy, than family hauler for USA at least. Not sure what that means, but I will wait and see.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Mid East / Africa / South Asia are the main markets

And honestly I got astonished from how many I found from it in Egypt, every time you go down to the streets for anything you will find it

It has a factory in Egypt also , not Toyota but licence and been made in AAV factory there
For some weird reason I see Land Cruiser Prados more often than Fortuners in southern Nigeria. Yet the GX isn't cherished wholeheartedly, as people would prefer a TLC 200 or an LX instead (not officially sold).

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Agree with you on Prados in Nigeria
I was surprised also from that, but mostly are used cars from other markets or corporates related to be differentiated from the local market Fortuners

For me those photos maybe Fortuner facelift, nothing more as everything including the pillars are the same, or maybe just maybe a mule to next generation Fortuner/Hilux

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
For some weird reason I see Land Cruiser Prados more often than Fortuners in southern Nigeria. Yet the GX isn't cherished wholeheartedly, as people would prefer a TLC 200 or an LX instead (not officially sold).

GX sells well only in the USA, nowhere else. I would guess because people would rather get LC200 than GX for same money.

As to the Prado, it is car that sells everywhere (but US)... 4Runner is mostly for the US and it just had its record sales year there.

Interestingly enough, people do not have same problem between LX and LC, they both sell well in same markets.

As to the new LC300 comments, i would guess why - they are not changing the formula, it will still not be the car for US market. LX will be similar i would bet.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I guess the reason is there are a lot of surplus Land Cruisers in Africa after mining corp/military/NGOs retire them.

Reactions
Really? Can you recall where? The source of this photo tends to be very forgetful or obtuse at times, that it I tread carefully following his content.

I have had concerns this is doctored by someone else or old. The C and D pillars seem too carryover, plus whatever is on the bonnet/hood seems PSed and photo is very blurry.
On Instagram page car_news_vip I have no doubts about that page being accurate, they post a lot of content of current releases and spy shots. These Hilux Fortuner spy shots are taken in Thailand.

Reactions
It’s fair to say the Fortuner is due for a cosmetic upgrade, it has been out 4-5 years in Australia without a facelift I’m just a bit surprised the Hilux is being upgraded at the same time as it had a facelift 3rd quarter of 2018. The reason I’m thinking is that the Hilux is in the most competitive category in Australia and Thailand, the Ford Ranger and Hilux battle hard for sales in this part of the world and Ford update the Ranger almost annually. With a new Dmax, BT50, Ranger and Triton on the way I think Toyota is trying to stay half a step ahead.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I guess the reason is there are a lot of surplus Land Cruisers in Africa after mining corp/military/NGOs retire them.

Huh? That's a puzzling extrapolation. Hardly the reason in Nigeria, since it's just one country and not all of Africa the continent. Each market is different of course, just like China, Malaysia, and Japan vary. Toyotas are officially sold there and have been since the 1960s, so I'm not sure about that one.

I am referring to the buying demographics of Prado being much *higher* than the also locally sold and cheaper Fortuner, which is unlike Asian, or other African countries that actually do/did have foreign military presence/NGOs/mining companies within them to make a dent via used units.

Most over there would rather have a secondhand Prado 120 or J150 over a new Fortuner if not wanting/able to spend more Naira/USD or deal with depreciation on a new Prado. I had believed the Fortuner was supposed to be for those who can't afford anything LC, but it doesn't work as I expected.

The Fortuner seems to do better in other markets from my observation, but why? Such groups you listed, are not the ones in parts of West Africa buying civilian spec, non-armored Prados. Except for maybe oil & gas companies that want a bit more comfort, without armoring cost.

It just reminds me of how the GX is not as well received as the globally more popular LX. Therefore I never really understood the purpose of Fortuner at times.

It does very well in mostly parts of Asia, South Africa and Kenya, but not in Nigeria, where people go for the cheapest Prado instead or gray import 4Runner. I only see early 1st gen Fortuners driven by "middle class" (small middle class).

I just find it silly how a good cost savings proposition exists in the Fortuner, yet many people prefer the Land Cruiser badge above all. I guess Fortuner mostly exists for countries with strict regulations and/or narrow roads.

Last edited:

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions

Thanks! Really weird though. If Fortuner gets such an update, that's taking it through at minimum mid-2023 to late 2024 I am guessing.

This second generation Fortuner is a well done effort and doesn't feel as cheesy as the previous gen, which felt dated. Interior feels like a discount Lexus in high spec.

It's only been around since Q3 2015, so it's now reaching midlife, but the Hilux is a mystery. Hilux arrived in parallel, so does it last through 2023-24 as well?

Reactions
Thanks! Really weird though. If Fortuner gets such an update, that's taking it through at minimum mid-2023 to late 2024 I am guessing.

This second generation Fortuner is a well done effort and doesn't feel as cheesy as the previous gen, which felt dated. Interior feels like a discount Lexus in high spec.

It's only been around since Q3 2015, so it's now reaching midlife, but the Hilux is a mystery. Hilux arrived in parallel, so does it last through 2023-24 as well?
The last gen hilux went from 2005-2015.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
The last gen hilux went from 2005-2015.
Yes, I've been well aware of that since it followed release of the N200 Tacoma in October 2004.

What are you trying to state? Toyota isn't automatically abiding by past lifecycles, so it doesn't really have any bearing on new generations going forward.

I already said an EOP of June 30, 2022 was once given for the 3rd generation Tacoma, but that has changed. This being another update, one has to wonder why 5-6 years in? (Versus last year.)