Officially Official: Lexus RX 350L and RX 450hL Debuts in LA

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Talk of a Lexus crossover SUV with third-row seats dates back quite a few years. Lexus even rolled out a concept previewing such a model as early as the 2003 New York auto show, the HPX.

Lexus put off a production version, deeming the segment too mainstream for a luxury player. Instead, Lexus offered its rugged GX and LX body-on-frame SUV to buyers seeking a third row. Now, however, the allure of crossover sales is simply too strong to ignore.

Lexus engineers are out testing a 3-row, 7-seat version of the mid-size RX, and a report from Japan claims the vehicle will debut in October at the 2017 Tokyo auto show. Modifying the fourth-generation RX to fit a third row should be straight forward given the vehicle’s corporate cousin, the Toyota Highlander, already has three rows.

According to Mag-X, the 3-row RX, to be badged an RX L, will maintain the wheelbase of the current 2-row model but feature an extended rear. To provide sufficient headroom for the third-row, the roof will remain flat towards the rear instead of sloping down like on the 2-row model.

In the United States, the vehicle should be offered in both RX 350 and RX 450h trim, though perhaps not both at launch. Potential rivals include the Audi Q7, Infiniti JX and Volvo XC90.

What’s puzzling is why it’s taken Lexus so long to launch a 3-row crossover. The RX is the brand’s most popular model and a 3-row crossover has been the number one demand from dealers for several years now. Cadillac is another luxury brand that’s been dragging its feet when it comes to 3-row crossovers.

The Tokyo auto show opens its doors to the media on October 25. To follow our coverage on the event, head to our dedicated hub.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ef7&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

2017-lexus-rx-with-third-row-seats-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100521680_l.jpg

2017-lexus-rx-with-third-row-seats-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100521681_l.jpg

2017-lexus-rx-with-third-row-seats-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100521679_l.jpg

2017-lexus-rx-with-third-row-seats-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100521678_l.jpg

2017-lexus-rx-with-third-row-seats-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100521677_l.jpg

2017-lexus-rx-with-third-row-seats-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100521676_l.jpg

2017-lexus-rx-with-third-row-seats-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100521675_l.jpg

2017-lexus-rx-with-third-row-seats-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100521674_l.jpg

2017-lexus-rx-with-third-row-seats-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100521673_l.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I wish if Lexus postponed it totally till the next generation RX
This is pure definition of mess

I agree... this seems like a disaster and Lexus is trying really hard to make this solution work. There are a lot of things about this that seem strange to me... floating C pillar, large front overhang, huge rear overhang, and based on pics... the third row looks almost unusable.

How does this look so wrong when the Highlander gets it so right?

2017-Toyota-Highlander-Hybrid-Limited-front-three-quarter-05.jpg

mikeavelli

Reactions
The thing is it doesn't matter what it looks like. Look at all these SUVs people buy them no matter what. It might not be a looker but it is going to sell and its going to hit the Enclave/MDX/QX60 immediately. It will also hit the GX as well.

I assume the seats will fold flat. I'm really curious how this is going to work as the RX is a ton bigger than in the past but doesn't feel super roomy inside.

I agree... this seems like a disaster and Lexus is trying really hard to make this solution work. There are a lot of things about this that seem strange to me... floating C pillar, large front overhang, huge rear overhang, and based on pics... the third row looks almost unusable.

How does this look so wrong when the Highlander gets it so right?

If I recall correctly this was was the last generation wasn't stretched either. The RX swooping rear makes it hard to turn into a 3rd row. The Highlander and the competition are built to be more boxy and vanlike. I still am impressed with the room in the QX60 third row for example.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Proportions look very good. But I think Subaru Ascent will be best in class with best AWD system.

Yuan

Fan
Reactions
The RXL still looks miles better than its competitors in the price range, keep in mind the RX is essentially a FWD car of course it will have long overhangs. People don't buy the third role to seat people, it's more of an extra feature that people like to have on their SUV. BIGGER = BETTER for potential buyers

Michael

Fan
Reactions
Is the US spec Lexus RXL still going to be made in Canada or is it still going to be made in Japan?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Is the US spec Lexus RXL still going to be made in Canada or is it still going to be made in Japan?
An excellent question. My best guess is that it will be built primarily if not exclusively in Canada, but I could be wrong. The answer will probably come during its unveiling, most likely at the Tokyo Motor Show in late October.

Michael

Fan
Reactions
I hope the new long wheelbase RX is made in Canada or in the Toyota's Indiana plant where Toyota manufacture the Highlander.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Seriously though, is this some kind of joke? The rear area looks only a tiny bit bigger than the current model. So essentially most of the cargo room will now be taken up by a tiny 3rd row while leaving almost no actual usable cargo room? This is the worst of both worlds. I understand that dealers and customers have been pleading with Lexus for many years now for a CUV with a proper 3rd row. I understand the time pressure Lexus is under. This does not look like a proper 3rd row at all.

There's too many doubts and what look like compromises with this thing so far. Could they not have stretched the K platform any further? Is this the max it can go? Would it have been too expensive to further stretch? Is there a point in releasing this RX L in the coming year, versus waiting a few more years and just designing it properly on a TNGA platform? If engines are going to be the same, that won't be enough for this bigger, heavier RX.

I just don't get it.

NO IT'S AMAZING.

LOOK AT THAT APPROACH ANGLE.

Lol good one krew :D.

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
...Could they not have stretched the K platform any further? Is this the max it can go? Would it have been too expensive to further stretch? Is there a point in releasing this RX L in the coming year, versus waiting a few more years and just designing it properly on a TNGA platform? If engines are going to be the same, that won't be enough for this bigger, heavier RX.
The longest-wheelbase version of the K platform is the current Toyota Sienna minivan, with a wheelbase 9.5" longer than the current RX and Highlander. So, yes, they could've stretched it if they'd wanted to. And, being blunt, I won't disagree that the RX L appears to have been a rushed, half-assed effort done as cheaply and expediently as possible to satisfy the clamor of U.S. Lexus dealers crying out for a crossover SUV with a third row seat at least marginally roomier and more comfortable than that in the body-on-frame GX.