internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
It's literally a continuing symptom of anti-asian sentiment. It's giving insecure "We-are-the-greatest-C-students-in-the-world" western bias vibes.
Especially as Toyota is so dominant and competent, combined with a conservative careful nature, insecure loud impulsive losers target them. It goes back to the meaningless "japanese cars don't have soul" ignorant BS we heard for years.
And then when Toyota comes up with the 124 mile / 200 km PHEVs (second generation PHEVs per Toyota) in 2026/27 , there will more scrutiny over PHEV emissions lol.

Toyota got the right strategy from the beginning -- give the market what it wants.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It's literally a continuing symptom of anti-asian sentiment. It's giving insecure "We-are-the-greatest-C-students-in-the-world" western bias vibes.
Especially as Toyota is so dominant and competent, combined with a conservative careful nature, insecure loud impulsive losers target them. It goes back to the meaningless "japanese cars don't have soul" ignorant BS we heard for years.

lol.

wait, you are saying it is racist? Hahahahahhahha.

Reason AU newspaper talks about Toyota about WLTP is because Toyota is #1 seller in Australia for years, and they have the most hybrids available.

I assume similar articles in Germany are talking about Mercedes, or whoever has most plugins sold there (not a Toyota who is #12).

mikeavelli

Reactions
I call BS on these articles, maybe the PHEVs from some other brands that run out of electricity way too easily and way too often might be the ones that emit significantly more CO2 than advertised (mainly the PHEVs from the German brands), but Toyota's PHEVs have been pretty good at maintaining a decent amount of charge in the battery most of the time driving on the street and keeping low load on the engine.

Yeah, it’s an Australian EV site. EV websites are worse than Fox or CNN lol

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
lol.

wait, you are saying it is racist? Hahahahahhahha.

Reason AU newspaper talks about Toyota about WLTP is because Toyota is #1 seller in Australia for years, and they have the most hybrids available.

I assume similar articles in Germany are talking about Mercedes, or whoever has most plugins sold there (not a Toyota who is #12).

America literally had Japanese internment/concentration camps including for citizens up until the end of the 1940s where they kidnapped and interred over a hundred thousand people. Pretending that came from nowhere, and that it somehow immediately disappeared (despite everything we see every day proving otherwise) literally gives people away as sympathizers.

First japanese products were "junk", and then when people couldn't deny reality anymore they became "reliable but boring".
Always something to criticize.

People who choose not to acknowledge that Toyota and japanese brands have been stereotyped and subjected to disproportionate scrutiny from the west:
1) Haven't been paying attention, or more likely
2) Hold these views and were triggered by someone calling them out

BoP adjustmentsin european-centric racing leagues, ridiculous reviews that rehash the same outdated criticisms, very clear passes given for poor offerings from european makers, disproportionate attention paid to every issue the company has, etc.

Most people are well aware of how many people *play dumb* because they want to keep it going and secretly hold those views themselves.

It comes from the same people that brought you loaded dog whistle terms like "inner city", "urban", "thug", and "states rights", and atrocities like reserves, residential schools, japanese internment camps, small pox blankets, etc.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

Is this a puff piece for evs or are drivers really not able to use a product correctly thereby making evs or ice only/hev cars the only path forward?

Those MIT researchers probably own a single-family house where they can just plug in their cars at night. It's really ironic since I now live in the Boston area and I know people spend $3000 a month just to have a bed to sleep in. Most of the EVs you can find in this area are concentrated in some rich neighborhoods. Owning a single-family house and driving low-carbon cars is a privilege. You CAN'T blame people for driving "dirty" cars when they are spending half of their salaries to have a roof over their head.

A lot of PHEV owners use their cars as pure HEVs and charge infrequently. When that happens a PHEV has more emissions than a HEV because of the extra weight. But that's an infrastructure problem not a user problem. People are not stupid. If they have access to easy charging they will always charge because electricity is cheaper than petrol in lots of places.

And again, those studies consider CO2 emissions as the ONLY environmental problem we are facing when it's actually not the worst. Decades of outsourcing industrial production to developing countries have caused severe degradation in air/water/soil quality in these places so some western countries can live their "low carbon" life and then blame those countries for not doing their part in reducing pollution. Guess what happens when the battery recycling issue becomes unsustainable? They just ship the batteries to some third world country so the poor workers with little safety gear can do the dirty work. It already happened before with plastic recycling.

Last edited:
Reactions
America literally had Japanese internment/concentration camps including for citizens up until the end of the 1940s where they kidnapped and interred over a hundred thousand people. Pretending that came from nowhere, and that it somehow immediately disappeared (despite everything we see every day proving otherwise) literally gives people away as sympathizers.

First japanese products were "junk", and then when people couldn't deny reality anymore they became "reliable but boring".
Always something to criticize.

People who choose not to acknowledge that Toyota and japanese brands have been stereotyped and subjected to disproportionate scrutiny from the west:
1) Haven't been paying attention, or more likely
2) Hold these views and were triggered by someone calling them out

BoP adjustmentsin european-centric racing leagues, ridiculous reviews that rehash the same outdated criticisms, very clear passes given for poor offerings from european makers, disproportionate attention paid to every issue the company has, etc.

Most people are well aware of how many people *play dumb* because they want to keep it going and secretly hold those views themselves.
While I don't think it's THAT deep and I'm not one to always complain about "racism", I wholeheartedly agree that there is a ton of anti-Japanese sentiment and it manifests itself in so many ways. You see this a lot with primarily people in Europe.
It comes from the same people that brought you loaded dog whistle terms like "inner city", "urban", "thug", and "states rights", and atrocities like reserves, residential schools, japanese internment camps, small pox blankets, etc.
Not sure how any of those terms are dog whistles, but you made some excellent points before this IMHO.

We should move back to powertrains though.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
While I don't think it's THAT deep and I'm not one to always complain about "racism", I wholeheartedly agree that there is a ton of anti-Japanese sentiment and it manifests itself in so many ways. You see this a lot with primarily people in Europe.
It's more like anti-Asian in general, like for example Europe bans the palm oil from my country to be exported into their market lol.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Not sure how any of those terms are dog whistles, but you made some excellent points before this IMHO.
Come have a chat with my uncles. You'll wonder why 4 rural guys -- who have basically never visited a city -- use so many of those words and have so many opinions about "urban" areas and the people living there. Those words are dog whistles because that's literally the definition of a dog whistle. It is meant to be somewhat coded and to change the tone of the conversation without explicitly resorting to slurs or naming the out group.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
alyssa-edwards-drag-queen.gif