Official 8th Generation (2018+) 010B Camry Discussion

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
They're talking about the garbage gear ratios that Toyota set for the Camry. There's no reliability issues on the 8-speed for the V6. All it needs is a ECU reflash and the 8-speed should be a beast.
An simple ECU reflash cannot fix poorly-chosen gear ratios; it can only change when the transmission shifts -- earlier or later.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
European Camry Hybrid arriving with more dynamic design and updated safety technology

2021-Toyota-Camry-Hybrid-03.jpg

2021-Toyota-Camry-Hybrid-10.jpg

2021-Toyota-Camry-Hybrid-11.jpg

2021-Toyota-Camry-Hybrid-15.jpg

2021-Toyota-Camry-Hybrid-04.jpg

2021-Toyota-Camry-Hybrid-05.jpg

2021-Toyota-Camry-Hybrid-16.jpg

2021-Toyota-Camry-Hybrid-24.jpg

2021-Toyota-Camry-Hybrid-25.jpg

2021-Toyota-Camry-Hybrid-19.jpg

2021-Toyota-Camry-Hybrid-27.jpg

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Does the rear seatback fold down? It does not look like it does. Or if it does, it looks like it is not split-fold design.

Will1991

Reactions
Does the rear seatback fold down? It does not look like it does. Or if it does, it looks like it is not split-fold design.

Top spec versions with electrical adjustable rear seats don’t fold down, only the lesser versions.
Basically, if the middle seat has that touchpad, they don’t fold down.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
We have decided to trade in our IS 350 F-Sport for a 2021 Camry XSE but are trying to decide between the V6 and the Hybrid. Drove both today and loved each, but came away a bit more impressed with the hybrid. However, coming from an IS 350, the V6 maintains most of the performance we are used to.

I have a very random question and assume @ssun30 might know. The Camry V6 uses the 2GR-FKS, recommends regular fuel and produces 301hp @ 6,600rpm and 267lb-ft of torque @ 4,700rpm. The current GS and IS also offer the 2GR-FKS, both recommend premium fuel but report 311hp @ 6,400rpm and 280lb-ft of torque at 4,800rpm. I guess I’m trying to understand how these engines differ, exactly, aside from the fuel ratings? Just the overall tune is slightly different?

Thanks in advance!

Will1991

Reactions
What made you choose the V6 over the hybrid? The fuel economy wasn't good enough to make you "loose" the power of the V6?

It's the facelift?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
What made you choose the V6 over the hybrid? The fuel economy wasn't good enough to make you "loose" the power of the V6?

It's the facelift?

The hybrid was great and we could have been very happy with it but coming from an IS 350, we wanted to keep a similar level of performance/acceleration if possible. Around town, the hybrid is peppy but the V6 is the way to go on highway driving and passing.

Plus, I’m fairly certain this will be the last V6 Camry, so we decided to opt for that knowing there will be many more hybrids in the future.

Yes, we ordered the 2021 (facelifted) version. I think there were some unpublished changes between the 2020 and 2021, because the 2021s do drive a little different in my opinion. Feels like maybe some slight suspension changes and maybe more sound deadening?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Can't go wrong with either choice. But if I lived in USA with that kind of fuel price I would go for the V6 too. The hybrid has about twice the fuel efficiency in real world.

The 2GR-FKS for transverse and longitudinal differ in component placement due to the layout difference, obviously. But otherwise the only difference is mapping. I only had experience with ChDM 7GR-FKS (similar to Tacoma's 'utility-variant' of 2GR-FKS) and it has negligible power difference in 92RON ('regular' in USA) and 95RON ('premium' in USA is 97RON).

It would be interesting to compare it to an older Camry V6 with FE. Almost all the power gains in the FKS is in the high end (above 6000rpm) vs. the FE. So I wonder if there is noticeable difference in real world performance (i.e. low and mid range).

Motor

Expert
Reactions

At the end of the day, the 2021 Toyota Camry Hybrid is an impressive midsize sedan that’s powered by a great hybrid powertrain. It’s not boring to drive and if you aren’t a fan of the Prius, the good thing is that the Camry Hybrid has almost the same mpg ratings.

Brandon B

Fan
Reactions
I actually got curious last weekend and test drove a Highlander Hybrid Limited... potentially to replace my 4Runner. The +20MPG difference and new tech were really appealing.

Pretty quickly, I realized that the Highlander was not for me. I forget that crossovers are literally the in-between when comparing true SUVs and passenger cars... with a driving position that's between the two and driving dynamics that are neither as quick as a sedan or as substantial feeling as a true SUV. Overall, it's really nice though, and perfect for someone looking for extra space, new features and great MPG. It was incredibly solid and planted on the road, and I liked how it handled. The difference in TNGA products compared to their predecessors is immediately noticeable, and the Highlander was really impressive... but just not for me.

With that said, our Camry XSE V6 came in yesterday and we're picking it up (and trading in the IS) on Saturday. Driving the HH made me excited to drive GA-K in a sportier execution with more power. More to come.
Your experience driving the Highlander is the same thing I felt when I sold my previous 4R to drive an MDX. I drove the MDX for a few years and just couldn’t get used to the car like feel. The 4R was much more truck like and it’s what I prefer. My wife has a 2016 IS350 and I’ve also considered the Camry for the new technology but haven’t made the jump.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I actually got curious last weekend and test drove a Highlander Hybrid Limited... potentially to replace my 4Runner. The +20MPG difference and new tech were really appealing.

Pretty quickly, I realized that the Highlander was not for me. I forget that crossovers are literally the in-between when comparing true SUVs and passenger cars... with a driving position that's between the two and driving dynamics that are neither as quick as a sedan or as substantial feeling as a true SUV. Overall, it's really nice though, and perfect for someone looking for extra space, new features and great MPG. It was incredibly solid and planted on the road, and I liked how it handled. The difference in TNGA products compared to their predecessors is immediately noticeable, and the Highlander was really impressive... but just not for me.

With that said, our Camry XSE V6 came in yesterday and we're picking it up (and trading in the IS) on Saturday. Driving the HH made me excited to drive GA-K in a sportier execution with more power. More to come.
Congrats!

RAL

Reactions

Congratulations!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Your experience driving the Highlander is the same thing I felt when I sold my previous 4R to drive an MDX. I drove the MDX for a few years and just couldn’t get used to the car like feel. The 4R was much more truck like and it’s what I prefer. My wife has a 2016 IS350 and I’ve also considered the Camry for the new technology but haven’t made the jump.

I understand exactly what you mean! The GS would have been the logical "upgrade" for us but hard to do that as it's now gone. The new IS, with carryover engine and 95% carryover interior, just felt like money poorly spent over a 2014 IS 350. We ordered the Driver Assistance Package (Ventilated seats with full perforation, bird's eye camera, clearance sonar and rear cross traffic braking), Nav/JBL audio package and cold weather package, so with all of those options and the V6, it was kind of a no-brainer. I'll post some pics and stuff when we get it tomorrow.