Official 8th Generation (2018+) 010B Camry Discussion

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I was expecting stronger visual changes - you really have to try hard to see them. The new dash and interior are very nice though!

I wish Camry XSE Hybrid had the larger battery from the RAV4 hybrid (219hp) or Highlander hybrid (245hp). That extra power seems to jive better with "XSE."

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
looks ok... i hope EU gets dual tone model and not just fleet versions. Not sure who thought selling it as strictly a fleet car makes sense.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
And it looks worse because -- again -- Toyota placed a tablet in front of a dashboard that was designed for a built-in screen. It looks so much like an "oops!" -- ran out of time, ran out of money to do it right.
These are the exact same problems I have with the LS dashboard! What in the heck is going on and should I start worrying about redesigned vehicles now too?

I understand that the interiors for these vehicles (XV70, XF50) were designed in 2014 and perhaps Toyota shifted to floating tablet screen design ethos sometime after 2015.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
They specifically call it out as a "floating screen", so it's intentional. Unfortunately.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
And it looks worse because -- again -- Toyota placed a tablet in front of a dashboard that was designed for a built-in screen. It looks so much like an "oops!" -- ran out of time, ran out of money to do it right.

it is 2020, everything that is integrated looks out of place. Camry prior interior looked like it was from 2000's and it would be one of the reasons I would never buy it.

Another one is graphics/screen quality.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Two things on the new dash:

1. There were a lot of complaints from shoppers who thought the old dash was a sea of shiny black plastic. They weren't completely wrong. I think the position of the new screen helps to break things up and it doesn't seem like "so much" black plastic.

2. "Slap on tablet" is something most shoppers like because it looks "techy" and feels like an extension of our devices. I don't like it either and much prefer something more integrated... but I am not in the majority.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
2. "Slap on tablet" is something most shoppers like because it looks "techy" and feels like an extension of our devices. I don't like it either and much prefer something more integrated... but I am not in the majority.

Also, if you have people in your house that expose you to too much HGTV, you know that "floating" things are very fashionable right now. Vanities and bedside tables that don't touch the floor, staircases that are wide open on both sides, and shelves with no visible brackets. "Slapped on tablets" are that same kind of visual effect.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Guys as we are in Camry thread, I want to talk about something different

After Yaris Cross and Corolla Cross, will Toyota make a Camry Cross as the true midsize 2 rows and Avalon Cross as a real new midsize 3 rows??

For me I hope no?, but I am afraid that Toyota will make it by time

Reactions

After Yaris Cross and Corolla Cross, will Toyota make a Camry Cross as the true midsize 2 rows and Avalon Cross as a real new midsize 3 rows??

The RAV4 and the Highlander are already there. The Venza is right in between the two so there's absolutely no point to have a Camry Cross and an Avalon Cross.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions

The last-generation Venza was the Camry Cross. This new one would have fit the bill if it had been larger.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
We are in a world where there is a separate SUV class for every 0.1 meter difference in length. And in the same size class two models can coexist with different styling. So while we never heard of a Camry cross from rumors I won't be surprised if there is one.

Toyota now has:
1 4.0m- class (Raize)
1 4.1m class (Yaris Cross)
1 4.3m class (C-HR)
1 4.4m class (Corolla Cross)
1 4.6m class (RAV4)
2 4.7m class (Harrier/Fortuner)
2 4.8m class (4Runner/J150)
2 4.9m class (Highlander/J70)
1 5.0m class (J200)
1 5.0m+ class (Sequoia)
I think I left some raised wagon/MPV style 'crossover' in niche market too.

That's 13 SUVs but still plenty of space left! In fact their competitors are in niches Toyota isn't in and don't feel that's enough yet.

I was expecting stronger visual changes - you really have to try hard to see them. The new dash and interior are very nice though!

I wish Camry XSE Hybrid had the larger battery from the RAV4 hybrid (219hp) or Highlander hybrid (245hp). That extra power seems to jive better with "XSE."
Because the bigger Highlander battery couldn't fit? The RAV4 and Camry use the same battery but RAV4 gets extra power from E-Four.

Last edited:

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I think I am going to go take a 21 Camry XSE Hybrid for a test drive this week. Looking forward to seeing how it drives. I am not a fan of the floating tablet design but it’s something I could get over if everything else checks the boxes. 47 mpg sounds nice with the XSE good looks too.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think I am going to go take a 21 Camry XSE Hybrid for a test drive this week. Looking forward to seeing how it drives. I am not a fan of the floating tablet design but it’s something I could get over if everything else checks the boxes. 47 mpg sounds nice with the XSE good looks too.

We are thinking of replacing our IS 350 with one... let me know what you think!