Official 8th Generation (2018+) 010B Camry Discussion

Reactions
I wonder if there's a way to get the all white/clear headlights from the Euro version for the U.S.? That would be an investment I'd be willing to do in the future.
Most other markets where the Camry is sold in are clear (Australia, Asia), so you don't have to just source them from Europe. There could even be aftermarket ones too...there are aftermarket tails on eBay, but go figure on the quality.

Reactions
Most other markets where the Camry is sold in are clear (Australia, Asia), so you don't have to just source them from Europe. There could even be aftermarket ones too...there are aftermarket tails on eBay, but go figure on the quality.
I searched the web for a few hours but found nothing. I realize the clear lights are on nearly all of the non-US Camrys, but it didn't help.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
It would be difficult to find any for sale in the US unless you have them custom made which is pricey. It is a federal mandate that manufacturers have the amber reflectors on the front. There are a lot of different little things manufacturers have to comply with selling their product in the US. The taillights have to be a certain amount of square inches, and when the signal or brakes activate the illumination has to be over a certain size and everything. Makes you appreciate everything that goes into a redesign or new car in a sense.

Reactions
It would be difficult to find any for sale in the US unless you have them custom made which is pricey. It is a federal mandate that manufacturers have the amber reflectors on the front. There are a lot of different little things manufacturers have to comply with selling their product in the US. The taillights have to be a certain amount of square inches, and when the signal or brakes activate the illumination has to be over a certain size and everything. Makes you appreciate everything that goes into a redesign or new car in a sense.
That's one thing I do not like about the american versions. Those amber side markers in the lights annoy me.

mikeavelli

Reactions
It sounds like the TRD will be priced right under 32k. Heck of a car for the money. It will be more SE with features than XSE.....

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
It sounds like the TRD will be priced right under 32k. Heck of a car for the money. It will be more SE with features than XSE.....
Exactly. Here's what Autoblog has to say:

2020 Toyota Camry TRD will start at $31,995
Least expensive way to get into a V6 Camry, but omits plush options
JONATHON RAMSEY
Aug 22nd 2019

The 2020 Toyota Camry TRD takes a different approach to its place in lineup than the 2020 Toyota Avalon TRD. Cars Direct, having seen order guides for the Camry TRD, says the sedan will start at $31,955 after a $955 charge for destination. That makes it about $2,000 more than the most expensive four-cylinder Camry trim, and $3,410 less than the least expensive six-cylinder Camry, the $35,405 XLE V6. The Camry TRD has just become the most cost-effective way to get the 93 additional horsepower that comes with the 3.5-liter V6.

Compare that to the Avalon strategy. The Avalon TRD came in at $43,255, which is $4,000 more than the sport-inclined Avalon XSE with the same 3.5-liter V6 engine, and not even $1,000 from the most expensive Limited Hybrid trim.

When Cars Direct asked Toyota about the positioning, the carmaker responded that the Carmry TRD should be judged against the mid-grade, four-cylinder SE trim that sits two levels below the four-cylinder XSE trim, and costs $5,000 less than the V6 Camry TRD. Since the TRD version gets performance and appearance mods like a tuned, lowered suspension, larger brakes, a TRD exhaust, black wheels, aero tweaks, and interior eye candy, the standard equipment list stays modest. The TRD sticks with SofTex synthetic leather seating and can't be optioned with the Navigation or the Driver Assist Packages. If the TRD trim mirrors the SE package options across the board, a moonroof, a blind spot monitor and keyless entry, and an Entune 3.0 audio system that bundles dual-zone climate control will be the only possible upgrades.

Cars Direct didn't break out pricing for all Camry trims, but price increases are coming based on order guide figures for the SE, XLE V6 and XSE V6. The SE goes up by $200 to $26,995, the XLE V6 will cost $150 more, and the top-tier XSE increases by $110.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/22/toyota-camry-trd-pricing-rumor/

mikeavelli

Reactions
Exactly. Here's what Autoblog has to say:

2020 Toyota Camry TRD will start at $31,995
Least expensive way to get into a V6 Camry, but omits plush options
JONATHON RAMSEY
Aug 22nd 2019

The 2020 Toyota Camry TRD takes a different approach to its place in lineup than the 2020 Toyota Avalon TRD. Cars Direct, having seen order guides for the Camry TRD, says the sedan will start at $31,955 after a $955 charge for destination. That makes it about $2,000 more than the most expensive four-cylinder Camry trim, and $3,410 less than the least expensive six-cylinder Camry, the $35,405 XLE V6. The Camry TRD has just become the most cost-effective way to get the 93 additional horsepower that comes with the 3.5-liter V6.

Compare that to the Avalon strategy. The Avalon TRD came in at $43,255, which is $4,000 more than the sport-inclined Avalon XSE with the same 3.5-liter V6 engine, and not even $1,000 from the most expensive Limited Hybrid trim.

When Cars Direct asked Toyota about the positioning, the carmaker responded that the Carmry TRD should be judged against the mid-grade, four-cylinder SE trim that sits two levels below the four-cylinder XSE trim, and costs $5,000 less than the V6 Camry TRD. Since the TRD version gets performance and appearance mods like a tuned, lowered suspension, larger brakes, a TRD exhaust, black wheels, aero tweaks, and interior eye candy, the standard equipment list stays modest. The TRD sticks with SofTex synthetic leather seating and can't be optioned with the Navigation or the Driver Assist Packages. If the TRD trim mirrors the SE package options across the board, a moonroof, a blind spot monitor and keyless entry, and an Entune 3.0 audio system that bundles dual-zone climate control will be the only possible upgrades.

Cars Direct didn't break out pricing for all Camry trims, but price increases are coming based on order guide figures for the SE, XLE V6 and XSE V6. The SE goes up by $200 to $26,995, the XLE V6 will cost $150 more, and the top-tier XSE increases by $110.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/22/toyota-camry-trd-pricing-rumor/

First off I really love both cars, the Camry really seems solid and its cool you can get something tuned for around 30k instead of needing to spend 100k on a car.

I understand the need to keep pricing low and maybe get people in the door. I'm hearing 6k a year is the goal. That is nothing compared to the 350k or so they sell a year. On the other hand I really am getting drained with Toyota/Lexus absolute refusal to stuff their sport models with the same options as their luxury models. This car has the base headlights, smaller 7" screen, no sunroof. Then like the RC F you lose the drop down seats because of a brace in the rear. I'm sorry but if Audi sells a RS7 hatchback etc etc with tons of utility then why can't we have both here? Maybe make two packages one base and one fully loaded for 5k more. Cause some people do want the sport and all the luxury options. They are not mutually exclusive.

Why is it sport people are stuck with lack of options and packages.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
2020 Toyota Camry TRD Drives Better Than We Expected
And that’s perfectly OK. As I said before, this car isn’t made for the track, or even the autocross we lapped all day. Part of me wants to complain that Toyota didn’t let their engineers far enough off the leash, that maybe adding a supercharger, adaptive suspension, and upgraded transmission would have made this a more cohesive performance package. Sounds like great fun, but there’s absolutely no market for something like that, not to mention those changes would result in an outrageous sticker price.

This is probably about far as anyone can really go in this market segment. Leave the hard-charging, stiffly-sprung hot hatches to the next smallest segment, and enjoy the fact that Toyota, of all automakers, is offering a hop-up kit for its bread-and-butter sedan. That’s more than Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, and Chevy can say. What’s more, with all the stylistic upgrades, killer wheels, and sport exhaust, it looks (and feels) more special than anything else in the mid-sized family.

2020 Toyota Camry TRD Changes the Camry's Game
The Camry TRD is successful mainly in proving that the Camry is more capable than you might realize. We doubt any of the 6000 or so Camry TRDs that Toyota plans to build for the 2020 model year will ever end up at a racetrack or even a parking-lot autocross. Buyers will dig its look and its aggressive sound. Perhaps the most exciting thing about the sportiest Camry (finally) being a real thing is that, at $31,995, the TRD is now the least expensive way to get a V-6 in the Camry.

2020 Toyota Camry TRD Review: Stiffer and Sportier, but Better?
In a lot of ways, the Camry TRD is the oddball of the TRD lineup. Whereas the 4Runner, Tacoma, and Tundra TRD models are singularly focused on exceptional off-road performance, the Camry TRD isn't the on-road performer it could and should be. It's at best a stiffer, sportier Camry, but that shouldn't be enough to talk someone out of a base Accord, let alone a truly sporty Accord Sport. Although I'm certain that won't stop the Toyota faithful from snapping up the 6,000 examples Toyota plans to build for the 2020 model year, the Camry TRD is nevertheless a textbook example of an engineering team working with a hand tied behind its back. TRD has proven it knows how to tune a good car. Next time I hope big Toyota lets 'em do it.

2020 Toyota Camry TRD and Avalon TRD First Drive Review: Who Are You Calling Boring?
With annual production expected to be in the low-four digits for both vehicles, the 2020 Camry TRD and Avalon TRD are more statement cars for Toyota than anything else. By the textbook definition, would a "boring" manufacturer build family sedans that look this racy, sound like junior Jaguars, hold their own on the autocross course, and have seatbelts this red? No. But shaking off a long-held public perception takes more than a few sport-ish sedans, and these two cars likely won't satisfy the haters. These cars are interesting, even admirable in the face of current market trends, but they're not groundbreaking or revolutionary in any sense.

Sometimes it really is easy to feel bad for Toyota—but then you remember that it expects to collect a profit of nearly $23 billion this year. The feeling goes away pretty quickly after that.

A lot of positives.

Why is it sport people are stuck with lack of options and packages.

I couldn't agree more. Hopefully, the mid-cycle refresh corrects this.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I couldn't agree more. Hopefully, the mid-cycle refresh corrects this.

I imagine the 2020 RX approach of F-Sport Styling and F-Sport Performance packages being separate options may translate over to other models (hopefully), and point to more customer choice.

Reactions
Can't believe that one guy basically said to get an Accord Sport! lol, those things are ugly. Just because there's a turbo doesn't mean that it's a better car either.

Reactions
Can't believe that one guy basically said to get an Accord Sport! lol, those things are ugly. Just because there's a turbo doesn't mean that it's a better car either.
Many auto journalists have preferred the way the Accord drives despite that the Camry's looks have improved while the Accord has gone in the other direction; historically they were better handling than the Camry.

Will1991

Reactions
Yesterday there was a small-ish local auto show in a city close by and was finally able to experience this new Camry.

This is just a revolution from the last-gen Avensis! For 45\50.000€ it’s really hard to point some negatives!

It remind me of a small article comparing TCO from a Camry vs. Model 3, but what this article didn’t said was Camry’s build quality... It’s in another level!

Reactions
Many auto journalists have preferred the way the Accord drives despite that the Camry's looks have improved while the Accord has gone in the other direction; historically they were better handling than the Camry.
Journalists are often not in line with what the public wants. The Accord trails the Camry in sales this year and I think that's what Toyota aimed for. Doesn't hurt that the Camry is more appealing imo.

Reactions
Journalists are often not in line with what the public wants. The Accord trails the Camry in sales this year and I think that's what Toyota aimed for. Doesn't hurt that the Camry is more appealing imo.
Of course, journalists don't buy cars since they get press loaners. The Accord Sport is favored by journalists because it has a stick still.

The Accord trails because the amount of incentives Honda puts on it is much less than the Camry, not to mention that many Camrys are sent to the rental fleets. The Camry itself has more character than the last one and handles better no doubt. But either way, they are the top tier choices in the segment still, even if Toyota knows that it no longer is the bread and butter vehicle of the lineup anymore.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I think the current Accord is ugly, too. The exterior lines are weird (and the few that I see often have the goofy spiral rims), and the interior has one of the worst cases of "we superglued an iPad to the center stack" on the market.