Official 8th Generation (2018+) 010B Camry Discussion

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
How do we know that is "TRD" form? Toyota has SE and XSE trims on Camry, and all we can judge from those spy pics are aero pieces and wheels.

No way a twin turbo 3.0L motor is making its way into a FWD Camry.
Quad exhaust tips don't seem like part of a regular trim level of a Camry
2018-toyota-camry-spied-inline1-photo-672210-s-original.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If Toyota was ever to create an AWD SE or XSE version, I'd buy one without a second thought. Otherwise, just no interest in owning FWD anything.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
honestly i got a news maybe right maybe wrong take it with a grain of salt right now
that starting from the next generation Toyota FWD sedans "Corolla & Camry" will be offered with AWD versions also

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
honestly i got a news maybe right maybe wrong take it with a grain of salt right now
that starting from the next generation Toyota FWD sedans "Corolla & Camry" will be offered with AWD versions also

I'm all for more AWD sedans.....and more AWD alternatives to SUVs.

Years ago, Toyota offered both the Corolla and Camry All-Trac (AWD) versions here in the U.S., but they were discontinued, probably because of the rapidly increasing popularity of the RAV-4 and Highlander SUVs. A Corolla wagon-derivative called the Matrix, with a different interior but done on the same platform, was offered here in both FWD and AWD configurations (also sold as the Pontiac Vibe)...but they were also discontinued.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Akio Toyoda quite a while ago did mention that they were restructuring TRD in North America, and there was a rumor of TRD sport trims appearing on future Toyota vehicles. We'll see soon enough if this spied Camry in the above shots is an SE, XSE, or a new TRD trim.

Edit: Also apparently the 2018 Camry is set to go on sale in roughly the 3rd quarter of 2017. Likely a production debut early 2017.

Last edited:

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Definitely looking like the 7th gen Camry will be the best looking yet. Toyota is quietly making a play for disgruntled 3rd gen Acura TL owners :D

cdauto-toyotacamry-103116-2-1.jpg

cdauto-toyotacamry-103116-10-1.jpg

cdauto-toyotacamry-103116-16-1.jpg

cdauto-toyotacamry-103116-3-1.jpg

More: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2018-toyota-camry-spy-shots/#slide-4253489

This car right here, is the 2018 Camry XSE, which will remain powered by a 6-cylinder engine.

2018-Toyota-Camry-CarScoops2.jpg
2018-toyota-camry-rendering.jpg

I'm very eager to see the next-gen Toyota Sienna...

...I imagine the next-gen Sienna will be on TNGA, as the new Prius is the first TNGA vehicle. All other debuts from now are supposed to be TNGA.

The 2018 Sienna seems to have completed its design freeze prior to August 2015, so I figure that will debut within the next 6 months. I wouldn't expect Job #1 to be more than 24 months out from mid-2015, which would be a fall 2017 launch date at least.

the question now
after the 2018 Toyota Camry in it's TRD form spotted is will Toyota make the 3.0TT as Lexus exclusive or we can see it with Toyota brand also?

This vehicle in question is powered by a naturally aspirated V6 (2GR-FKS) and is the MY2018, not the 943F engine nor a TRD variant.

How do we know that is "TRD" form? Toyota has SE and XSE trims on Camry, and all we can judge from those spy pics are aero pieces and wheels.

No way a twin turbo 3.0L motor is making its way into a FWD Camry.

You got it, it's not any TRD version. This is the next generation XSE and it still uses a V6.

Akio Toyoda quite a while ago did mention that they were restructuring TRD in North America, and there was a rumor of TRD sport trims appearing on future Toyota vehicles. We'll see soon enough if this spied Camry in the above shots is an SE, XSE, or a new TRD trim.

Edit: Also apparently the 2018 Camry is set to go on sale in roughly the 3rd quarter of 2017. Likely a production debut early 2017.

The prototype above is the 2018 Camry XSE, which will still be powered by a naturally aspirated V6. There will be no TRD version. Somehow I get the impression it will also have direct injection. In fact, this describes the 2018 Camry XSE for the U.S. market:

Toyota employees were shown a pre-production build prototype from the 010B program of the 2018 Toyota Camry XSE sedan. Styling is said to be reportedly similar to the 2016 Nissan Maxima at the rear (somewhat irrelevant, as final 010B styling was set very early to accommodate TNGA-K, almost paralleling launch of the 2015MY facelift), in which the XSE has an available two-tone paint scheme (black on top, red on bottom).

The 2018 Camry will be available with the 360° Bird's Eye View Camera system and red leather interior a la Lexus F-Sport. The XSE V6 will have sport suspension, standard LED headlights, 19" inch wheels. 3rd generation Acura TL really comes to mind for many people regarding this vehicle, as there are reportedly features it will have "that no Acura sedan is currently available with".

It will be offered with a panoramic roof and of course, has a lower centre of gravity with "little wheel gap".

Screen-shot-2015-09-13-at-5.58.41-PM1-1024x679.png

A little history here, as Toyoda is trying to do 1991-92 all over again, as once done with the XV10 Camry for the 1992 model year. The 1992 Camry platform was all-new since 1982, not even being replaced until the K platform based XV30 '02 Camry arrived in 2001.

Despite Toyota starting development on the 3rd generation Camry in 1986, the amount changes and differences later demanded in 1988 for the export Camry warranted over a year in delays and a new chassis code, now based on the Lexus FWD programme for late 1991.

As late as February 1988, the third generation Camry was intended to globally launch in August 1990 for the 1991 model year. Both the ES250 and Windom/ES300 were previously commissioned in 1987, but due to shorter lead time, the ES250 was a more marginal effort (ES300 design was completed as ES250 launched in 1989).
c784a73b_big.jpg

wallpapers_toyota_camry_1990_1.jpg
1991_special_selection_v30_02_b.jpg
It was when this very car (V30 above) was shown to Toyota executives in the early months of 1988 as a final design clay model (third photo, bottom right insets of V30 design process from 1986-88) and was rejected by Toyota USA, that it resulted in a extremely turbulent year long period between 1988-1989 to get the wide-body XV10 approved by a Q3 1989 deadline and ready in time at least for the '92 model year. It is why variants such as the SE and wagon didn't even arrive at autumn 1991 launch and were delayed availability into the 1992 calendar year, due to pacing of lead time.
wallpapers_toyota_camry_1991_1.jpg

l-xfpw48strtb9k6.jpg

92812081990903.jpg

5704f573e1126_322335b.jpg

toyota_camry_1992_pictures_1.jpg

After XV10 development ended in the first half of 1991, Toyota by the end of that year turned their attention towards development of the Q3 1994 refresh and XV20 redesign for Q3 1996. At the time, the X80 Cressida was entering its last year, styling of Avalon was reaching a climax, the newly registered GS300 trademark accompanied a delayed, soon to be completed S140 Lexus sports saloon (distant Cressida successor), and Japan was in recession.

The advent of the incoming Avalon, greater need to justify the premium of the Lexus ES300, the need to increase profits and simplify the manufacturing process and survive the economic climate, resulted in cost cutting measures for the XV20 Camry. Similar reasoning was applied by the early 1993 for the XV10 mid-cycle facelift, which arrived in late 1994 as a '95 model.

After nearly 2 years of development, design of the XV20 Camry and Lexus ES300 for the 1997 model year were both set very early at 36-39 months ahead of Job #1, in the summer of 1993. Design freeze for both cars were in January and February 1994, despite both cars not even entering production until August 1996. Shocking reality, considering the regression and the fact the new XV20 Camry cost Toyota $250 million vs over $600-650 million for the outgoing XV10.

August* 1993 XV20 Clay Model of Kawazu Masahiko Proposal C
1997-Toyota-Camry-styling-model-C-early-FL-med.png 1997-Toyota-Camry-styling-model-C-early-RL-med.png
XV20 Design File from Japan Patent Office February 9, 1994 filing
JPS_001057806_000005.jpg JPS_001057806_000006.jpg

When the company itself fell out of Toyoda family hands in 1995, Toyota stepped up cost-cutting efforts even more for mainstream products. The midsize K platform was commissioned in 1995 as Toyota was deep in prototype testing of '97 Camry, so it debuted in the Highlander in Nov. 2000 (May 1998 design appr., launch Jan. '01). So, I have always refused to call the K platform the "Camry platform". The heavy-handed cost-cuttin trend just might be seeing a gradual reversal, which will continue to appear in Toyota Motor Co. product launches of the second half of 2010s and come full circle by 2022. At retirement in 2020-21, the K platform would have been in use for over 20 years and in existence for over 25 years.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
As always, thank you for the great post, @Carmaker1

A Camry XSE with red leather interior, panoramic roof, 19" wheels, two tone paint scheme, 296hp V6, 8AT, dual exhaust... Wow. Toyota is going all out lately, and I love it.

I guess I wasn't so far off about the car looking like the 3rd gen TL!

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Excellent post Carmaker1, thanks as well!

So that is indeed an XSE in the spy shots...wow, more aggressive than I expected for an XSE. I truly wonder then what Akio Toyoda's plans are for restructuring TRD.

As for the Sienna, that is excellent news if true. I had heard conflicting rumors that the next-gen Sienna might have been delayed. A launch late next year would be great, as IMHO the Sienna really needs a new platform, and to move away from the rear torsion beam suspension, which is a very mediocre rear suspension design for the segment, and especially for the Sienna's price.

I'm also very curious that you mention Toyota is doing 1991-1992 (the XV10) all over again. Do you mean to say Toyota has given an unprecedented budget for this new Camry? That Toyota has over-engineered this new Camry to be almost a Lexus in comfort, quality, and reliability?

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
As always, thank you for the great post, @Carmaker1

A Camry XSE with red leather interior, panoramic roof, 19" wheels, two tone paint scheme, 296hp V6, 8AT, dual exhaust... Wow. Toyota is going all out lately, and I love it.

I guess I wasn't so far off about the car looking like the 3rd gen TL!

Thank you Gecko, everything I posted above in this case is from a Toyota employee. I only reworded some things to not draw attention to him, as Toyota themselves demanded a retraction of this info. The Maxima bit came from a TFL article, where a TTMMK source also verified this information to them.

The engine code is not what was given, but the primary source tried to avoid answering that and owns a 3rd generation TL himself. Point blank they said, the XSE pre-production vehicle was that V6. The 2.5 turbo might be a mid-range offering possibly.

Excellent post Carmaker1, thanks as well!

So that is indeed an XSE in the spy shots...wow, more aggressive than I expected for an XSE. I truly wonder then what Akio Toyoda's plans are for restructuring TRD.

As for the Sienna, that is excellent news if true. I had heard conflicting rumors that the next-gen Sienna might have been delayed. A launch late next year would be great, as IMHO the Sienna really needs a new platform, and to move away from the rear torsion beam suspension, which is a very mediocre rear suspension design for the segment, and especially for the Sienna's price.

I'm also very curious that you mention Toyota is doing 1991-1992 (the XV10) all over again. Do you mean to say Toyota has given an unprecedented budget for this new Camry? That Toyota has over-engineered this new Camry to be almost a Lexus in comfort, quality, and reliability?

I'm not sure either about TRD, unless he's referring to the Supra and the truck/4x4 operation. The Sienna is definitely a 2018 model year, so I would ignore Automotive News on that front. I have not really paid much attention to the Sienna, but I understand your point very much. Honda is heavily investing in the next Odyssey and have been seen testing in public for over 2 YEARS.

I expect Toyota to bring it, as the Sienna has been on the same platform since 2003 (if not almost late 2002) and now is the opportunity to execute very well. Anyway, Automotive News might have gotten the correct 5LS launch date well before everyone else back in 2013-14, but they have serious inconsistences at times (especially right now) that make me scratch my head.

My information on the 2018 Sienna is directly from fellows that have worked on it, as well as the 2018 Tundra, 2018 Camry, and 2019 Corolla. The latest launch for that would only match up to that of the 2014 Highlander and 2013 RAV4 as Q1 releases. Toyota is testing the Tundra and Sienna, but hides them very well. Spy photographers for that matter can be extremely lazy in some cases, missing some of the very obvious. A CL forum member caught a 5LS mule (not full prototype), which much of the people in that thread and its OP are still failing to pick up on it and referring to FWD products or that of Genesis.

People really need to keep their eyes peeled, as it's beneficial to us (automotive firms or engineering affiliates) when observers do not pick up on prototypes running around. For all of TFL's foibles, they do a very fine job of keeping up with prototypes and mules. Back in the day, the craziest of leaks occurred in prototypes being seen very early (as in 2 years before reveal). I saw the 1993 Camaro and Firebird F-bodies in full regalia in a (circa) November 1989 news article archive, over 3 years before they were released in early 1993. Things have gotten much tighter nowadays.

Reactions: CIF

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
#Carmaker1in2020

lol

Geeze I feel like I'm in school! Awesome stuff.

Thank you, I really do like discussing the history (well, trivia) of various brands. There is so much I have learned about Toyota innovations, that the length of it would be too much work to read at once. I really do hope the company is now taking such efforts again, as innovation in the automotive sector cannot simply be a German task (as much as I respect the big 3).

Little do people know that Jaguar nearly had the opportunity in the 1980s to introduce parking sonar to the world, but Sir William Lyons passed on it for the XJ redesign. Toyota introduced rear parking assist sensors in 1982 and invented the integrated backup camera for passenger vehicles in 1987. For some weird reason, the LS400 did not offer either and they waited until the LS430.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Toyota introduced rear parking assist sensors in 1982 and invented the integrated backup camera for passenger vehicles in 1987. For some weird reason, the LS400 did not offer either and they waited until the LS430.

As I've mentioned before, Toyota seems to have an aversion to introducing tech features at the high end, and it's often frustrating. I'm hoping that streak is broken for the 5LS.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
what i am thinking about right now is that if there's any hope the next generation Mark-X to be international to go with Kia & Hyundai RWD

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Little do people know that Jaguar nearly had the opportunity in the 1980s to introduce parking sonar to the world, but Sir William Lyons passed on it for the XJ redesign.

An interesting question, though, is if Jag electronics were reliable enough back then......maybe Lyons passed on it for a reason. As a student of automotive history, I'm sure you are well-familiar with the British Lucas electrical systems...and how they were the butt of jokes. ;)

Today, of course, with not only back-up cameras, but advanced features like camera-surround and cross-traffic back-up warnings, that technology is considered primitive.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Parking sonar really benefits from a graphical screen to show where the obstruction(s) are and how close they are. You could've done it in the 1980s with 18 or so LEDs, but it would've been expensive and probably not all that practical.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
When the company itself fell out of Toyoda family hands in 1995, Toyota stepped up cost-cutting efforts even more for mainstream products.

Yes, that is just about the time I first started noticing it myself. The 3rd-generation (1992-96) Camry, IMO, was arguably the best one ever built (I still see them running around today with 250-300K miles on them). From the 4Gen on until just recently, when improvements started to show up again, it seemed like a slow but noticeable descent in the solidness of materials used, though general reliability remained good. I also noticed it with other Toyota products.

Reactions
http://autoweek.com/article/detroit...ew-2018-toyota-camry-coming-detroit-auto-show
CamryTeaser.jpeg

A new Toyota Camry isn't big news in the same way a new Toyota Supra is big news, but it's big news nonetheless: The Camry has set the standard for the sub-luxury midsize sedan segment for decades -- and an all-new 2018 model is headed to the 2017 Detroit auto show in January.

We don’t like posting teaser pictures, but the close-cropped low-angle rear three-quarter view of this 2018 Camry XSE reveals hints of -- dare we say -- styling? Meanwhile, the rear taillights look like they’re going to pick up some of that far-out trapezoidality from the Mirai fuel-cell vehicle and the new Prius.

For all the crap enthusiasts give it for being a touch (OK, more than a touch) on the conservative side, the Camry is actually a commendably consistent, eminently practical car; it also happens to be one of the most American vehicles you can buy, if that’s your thing. Toyota moved 429,185 of these things last year despite ever-growing pressure from family-friendly crossovers. So, whatever the 2018 Camry ends up looking like, get ready to see a lot of them on the road.

Will the all-new car represent a great leap forward for the Camry nameplate? Revolution isn't really in the Camry playbook, but we suppose anything is possible. We’ll bring you all the details from the floor of the Detroit auto show.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Seriously WTF does it have the same cues as the LC.....disgusting......

Otherwise, totally shocked so far