Official 8th Generation (2018+) 010B Camry Discussion

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
As everyone knows in the US market and many left-hand-drive markets outside of Europe, the Toyota Camry is a very high selling product.

The next generation model has undertaken a longer development process than usual, currently being worked under 010B for 2018 model year. It will ride on the new TNGA modular architecture.

Here is what some sources in Japan claim it looks like.2017toka-001.jpg 2017toka-002.jpg 2017toka-0015.jpg 2017toka-0016.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Looks really sharp... almost has a 3rd gen TL vibe, which was one of my favorite Japanese sedans of all time.

I think the Camry is going to debut a new corporate 2.5L I4, around 200hp and 195 lb-ft of torque with D-4S and Otto/Atkinson. I assume they might mate it to a CVT. I think the V6 option will be the 2GR-FKS (295hp/267lb-ft/8AT).

mikeavelli

Reactions
Looks really sharp... almost has a 3rd gen TL vibe, which was one of my favorite Japanese sedans of all time.

I think the Camry is going to debut a new corporate 2.5L I4, around 200hp and 195 lb-ft of torque with D-4S and Otto/Atkinson. I assume they might mate it to a CVT. I think the V6 option will be the 2GR-FKS (295hp/267lb-ft/8AT).

I'm thinking base has a I-4 and the V-6 is replaced with a turbo 4....

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Thanks again for another scoop. I eagerly await to see what the new Camry will bring, especially on the interior front. That rendering looks nice, if a bit generic. The refreshed 2015 styling I personally prefer more, we'll see soon enough how accurate the rendering is.

I continue to pray that the Camry does not lose the V6.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

I think that's possible, but three things:

1) That platform easily supports a V6 (I guess now they're all going to be on the same TNGA architecture), so the V6 is an off-the-shelf solution.

2) The 8AR-FTS, if they use that engine or a derivative of it, uses premium gas which will be a major deterrent for a mainstream car like a Camry.

3) In repeated surveys, Camry V6 buyers say that they want the smoothness and better NVH that the V6 model offers over the I4, moreso than the horsepower advantage.

If it does remain V6, I think this may be the last generation that is as such.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions

That is very likely, even though the source only referred to the hybrid.

That is a possibility, if they only want to leave a V6 for the Avalon. Likely not for refinement concerns.

Thanks again for another scoop. I eagerly await to see what the new Camry will bring, especially on the interior front. That rendering looks nice, if a bit generic. The refreshed 2015 styling I personally prefer more, we'll see soon enough how accurate the rendering is.

I continue to pray that the Camry does not lose the V6.

Something tells me that MY2017 production has started, so it is possible that this car arrives by early next year.

Usually I refrain from posting poor renderings, but in this case it looks too properly done to ignore. I only dislike the chrome "grille" on this.

I'll do some more Japanese research to verify what is happening.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm very eager to see the next-gen Toyota Sienna. It remains the only Toyota model on the K platform with a rear beam axle suspension. The Odyssey has had a double wishbone rear for ages. All other K platform Toyotas have either double wishbone or multi-link rears. Even the Rav4 on the smaller MC platform now has a double-wishbone rear.

I imagine the next-gen Sienna will be on TNGA, as the new Prius is the first TNGA vehicle. All other debuts from now are supposed to be TNGA. I truly hope they finally upgrade the Sienna to a double wishbone or multi-link rear. The Highlander has now had a double wishbone rear for a few years now, and multi-link before that. They could still easily retain the unique AWD option on the Sienna with a double wishbone or multi-link rear.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
First spy shots are out, and @Carmaker1's photos are looking highly accurate:

2018-Toyota-Camry-1.jpg

2018-Toyota-Camry-3.jpg

2018-Toyota-Camry-4.jpg

2018-Toyota-Camry-5.jpg

2018-Toyota-Camry-6.jpg

2018-Toyota-Camry-7.jpg

2018-Toyota-Camry-8.jpg

2018-Toyota-Camry-9.jpg

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions

I found an instagram video of an LC prototype testing and it looks like its being followed by a next-gen LS
Two interesting takeaways from that video:

1) I'm not all that certain that the camoed prototype is a Lexus LS. The overall proportions seem too stubby and there appears to be far more sheetmetal above the front fender than in the previously-sighted LS mules.

2) I never would've imagined the slim vertical strip on the outboard edges of the LC taillights would be the turn signals. They're definitely the most distinctive turn signals I've seen since recent Ford Mustangs' retro-inspired sequential signals.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Two interesting takeaways from that video:

1) I'm not all that certain that the camoed prototype is a Lexus LS. The overall proportions seem too stubby and there appears to be far more sheetmetal above the front fender than in the previously-sighted LS mules.

2) I never would've imagined the slim vertical strip on the outboard edges of the LC taillights would be the turn signals. They're definitely the most distinctive turn signals I've seen since recent Ford Mustangs' retro-inspired sequential signals.

it's approximately confirmed that the 2 camoed sedans behind the LC was in fact 2018 next generation Toyota Camry nothing more
https://carsoid.com/2018-toyota-camry-rumors-price/
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/09/u-spy-2018-toyota-camry-with-more.html

the front fenders alone confirmed this

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
this's a rendering for the next generation camry
original.jpg
original.jpg

and a lot of cues from this rendering can be found under the camoed cars
but honestly if this's it
it will my first dream Camry
just wow
until now this will be the 4th Toyota to get the TNGA after the Prius , Prius plug-in & the C-HR
and all of them promising so far at least in driving dynamics

so if this really the next Camry we can be then 100% we will be wowed with the next generation Avalon / ES / Highlander / Harrier / RX / Sienna / Estima(Previa) with the handling in the FWD taking another level so it's solid to say the handling in the RWD chassis which the LC will be the first vehicle to adopt it will be in a league with it's own for the driving dynamics and handling

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
i have no problem
i just posted because i really got wowed from it
and from the handling test for this new chassis that done on the Prii
so really if Toyota start giving it's top 2 Vanilla Beige family mediocre appliance FWD vehicles the driving dynamics
so is this means that the already sporty oriented IS /GS / Mark-X will be in another dimension with there next generation iteration ?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
From the photos and images, its size, IMO, makes it look more like (maybe) the next Corolla than Camry.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
the question now
after the 2018 Toyota Camry in it's TRD form spotted is will Toyota make the 3.0TT as Lexus exclusive or we can see it with Toyota brand also?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^If you look at it next to the highlander and RX, it's definitely a Camry!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
^If you look at it next to the highlander and RX, it's definitely a Camry!

Don't want to take the thread too far off-topic, but, as far as looking at it under those conditions, I have a very low opinion of the whole business of disguises, body-tape, bras, fake trim/moldings, etc....to start with. It forces manufacturers and auto-press groups into continual cat-and-mouse games of never-ending disguise and never-ending spy-shots/speculation. IMO, stop that nonsense, take the disguises off once and for all, test the vehicles like they are actually going to be driven in the real world (i.e. without disguises), and if someone sees it a few months early, so what? Big deal. More often than not, it will be displayed at the the L.A. or Detroit Auto Show in a few months anyway, where the whole automotive world will see it.

(Sorry, folks, just ranting....but I get irked every time I see those nonsense disguises).

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
the question now
after the 2018 Toyota Camry in it's TRD form spotted is will Toyota make the 3.0TT as Lexus exclusive or we can see it with Toyota brand also?

How do we know that is "TRD" form? Toyota has SE and XSE trims on Camry, and all we can judge from those spy pics are aero pieces and wheels.

No way a twin turbo 3.0L motor is making its way into a FWD Camry.