Official 7th Generation ES Thread: Full Reveal on 4/25 in Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFGeneer

Fan
Reactions
Can we agree that the current RWD IS has a Hofmeister Kink?

I would not agree to that as the kink of the IS or any other Lexus was never designed by anyone with the name of Hofmeister. :D
If anything, the C-pillar designs of various Lexus/Toyota models resemble the 'chinese eye' kink of the 2000GT.
Statements like 'Hofmeister kink indicates RWD or premiumness' are just funny.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
It has to be amazing in every possible way as it will be Lexus only midsize so it will play the role of 2 cars this is regards of course of what will happen to the GS

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
And yet... no mention of HP or powertrain. If they drop the 4- cylinder turbo into the next generation ES, I'm done with the brand.
I love my current 2015, have always wanted an F Sport to replace my IS F Sport.
The ES is so smooth off the line and so spacious inside. But the lack of handling and sport suspension has always kept me from owning two at the same time.
While the timing of its debut may be off regarding my current lease coming to term, I'll be anticipating performance figures and a spirited test drive once it debuts.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
CAFE pretty much demands the turbo 4 as the base engine, and it's not like only Lexus is doing it. I'd be surprised if they went 4-only like the Accord though.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
And yet... no mention of HP or powertrain. If they drop the 4- cylinder turbo into the next generation ES, I'm done with the brand.
I love my current 2015, have always wanted an F Sport to replace my IS F Sport.
The ES is so smooth off the line and so spacious inside. But the lack of handling and sport suspension has always kept me from owning two at the same time.
While the timing of its debut may be off regarding my current lease coming to term, I'll be anticipating performance figures and a spirited test drive once it debuts.

What's your problem with a turbo-4 if they are still going to offer a V6? Even the Camry has one.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Surely it will be 2.0T base with optional V6.

i assume you mean that twin turbo V6? Since having base turbo 2.0l and then NA 3.5l V6 makes little sense. But then again, does ES really need twin turbo V6? Seems like an overkill.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
i assume you mean that twin turbo V6? Since having base turbo 2.0l and then NA 3.5l V6 makes little sense. But then again, does ES really need twin turbo V6? Seems like an overkill.
I don't think the ES would get a TTV6 but I can see it getting the multi stage hybrid as the top trim or performance trim.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

Not sure... GR V6 is due for a Dynamic Force replacement and Toyota and Lexus both need a new "workhorse" V6 with something like 300-350 horsepower. I am not sure if that would be NA, single turbo or twin turbo. The 3.5L TT V6 surely seems like overkill for this car. I would like to see them debut a 3.0L turbo V6 with ~325hp mated to the 10AT. Such an engine would be great in the ES, RX, GX, RC, GS and IS. I think we will also see a new Dynamic Force 2.0T, hopefully with something like 265-275hp and 290-300lb-ft of torque.

300+ horsepower seems like a bad idea in FWD, especially if it's turbo with high torque output as well... We always talk about this, but if ES is going to replace GS and there's going to be that much horsepower on tap, an AWD option will be necessary. Issue is that DTC AWD is not a great system for this type of application because it defaults to FWD and only engages AWD once there is a loss of traction. Essentially, you must have torque steer and traction loss before the system engages to become AWD... not ideal. I would really like to see Lexus come up with a new AWD system that has an active torque split between front and rear, as that would give them much more capability and greater flexibility with FWD platforms, similar to how Audi structures their cars.

An ES F Sport V6 would surely need to have AWD standard, but I assume you could get away without AWD on non-F Sport trims considering the audience. ~325hp AWD F Sport ES and RX would satisfy a market of buyers that Lexus is currently losing.

I think ES will receive a hybrid 4 cyl and not the new direct multi stage power plant. That seems to be a flagship powertrain for Lexus.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Not sure... GR V6 is due for a Dynamic Force replacement and Toyota and Lexus both need a new "workhorse" V6 with something like 300-350 horsepower. I am not sure if that would be NA, single turbo or twin turbo. The 3.5L TT V6 surely seems like overkill for this car. I would like to see them debut a 3.0L turbo V6 with ~325hp mated to the 10AT. Such an engine would be great in the ES, RX, GX, RC, GS and IS. I think we will also see a new Dynamic Force 2.0T, hopefully with something like 265-275hp and 290-300lb-ft of torque.

300+ horsepower seems like a bad idea in FWD, especially if it's turbo with high torque output as well... We always talk about this, but if ES is going to replace GS and there's going to be that much horsepower on tap, an AWD option will be necessary. Issue is that DTC AWD is not a great system for this type of application because it defaults to FWD and only engages AWD once there is a loss of traction. Essentially, you must have torque steer and traction loss before the system engages to become AWD... not ideal. I would really like to see Lexus come up with a new AWD system that has an active torque split between front and rear, as that would give them much more capability and greater flexibility with FWD platforms, similar to how Audi structures their cars.

An ES F Sport V6 would surely need to have AWD standard, but I assume you could get away without AWD on non-F Sport trims considering the audience. ~325hp AWD F Sport ES and RX would satisfy a market of buyers that Lexus is currently losing.

I think ES will receive a hybrid 4 cyl and not the new direct multi stage power plant. That seems to be a flagship powertrain for Lexus.

I agree with you one engine Lexus needs the most right now is a 3.0L turbo v6. That would be the perfect engine to replace the outdated 3.5 NA engine. I hope they are working on one. Especially with likes of Infiniti, BMW, Genesis, Mercedes, and even a KIA having such engines right now.

mikeavelli

Reactions
If anyone has really looked at the Camry, they really got proportions right and it looks rather Alfa ish in some angles. While the grill might be a turn off overall its pretty good looking. The ES should hopefully carry these things over to a cleaner and more luxurious look.

Also excited to see the new Avalon which debuts soon...

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Issue is that DTC AWD is not a great system for this type of application because it defaults to FWD and only engages AWD once there is a loss of traction. Essentially, you must have torque steer and traction loss before the system engages to become AWD... not ideal. I would really like to see Lexus come up with a new AWD system that has an active torque split between front and rear, as that would give them much more capability and greater flexibility with FWD platforms, similar to how Audi structures their cars.

If Ford can do it with the Fusion Sport/Taurus SHO, and Audi can do it with the RS3, there's no way Lexus can't do it. TMC has transverse-AWD rally cars with 380hp already, so AWD technology shouldn't be far from their reach.

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
According to a recent report from this Japanese tabloid site, the next-gen ES is set to make its debut in the Detroit Auto Show on 1/14/2018 and is indeed going to adopt the GA-L platform.
http://car-report.jp/blog-entry-1253.html

It's a good move IMHO. Selling a propped up mainstream car has helped Lexus get its footing on the ground but it's time for Lexus to transition into a truly premium car maker for further long-term growth, and by essentially renaming the GS to the more popular ES, and by hopefully re-introducing the next-gen GS as a four-door coupe, Lexus will finally have what it needs to compete with with the Germans on all levels.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
According to a recent report from this Japanese tabloid site, the next-gen ES is set to make its debut in the Detroit Auto Show on 1/14/2018 and is indeed going to adopt the GA-L platform.
http://car-report.jp/blog-entry-1253.html

It's a good move IMHO. Selling a propped up mainstream car has helped Lexus get its footing on the ground but it's time for Lexus to transition into a truly premium car maker for further long-term growth, and by essentially renaming the GS to the more popular ES, and by hopefully re-introducing the next-gen GS as a four-door coupe, Lexus will finally have what it needs to compete with with the Germans on all levels.

I read that article and it doesn't seem very reputable to me. Furthermore, we have seen the spy shots and the car is pretty clearly FWD looking at the proportions. A lot of these articles seem to throw "TNGA/TNGA-L" in together and not do a great job of clarifying what they are or how they differ.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
With more and more rumors pointing towards a FAW/Lexus collaboration, I'm increasingly convinced an ES-L is needed. Currently the mid-size sedan line-up of Lexus China looks like this (considering IS as a 'compact sedan'):

ES200 ¥298k-318k/ES250 ¥348k-408k/ES300h ¥378k-498k/GS300 ¥459k-499k/GS300h ¥489k-599k/GS450h ¥799k (these are sticker prices, actual trade prices are usually much lower)

Lower end of the segment
Buick Lacrosse Avenir/Lincoln MKZ 2.0T/Cadillac XTS 2.0T/Volvo S90 T4
Price Range ¥279k-408k (~$40k-60k)

Higher end of the segment
Lincoln Continental/Volvo S90 T5/Jaguar XFL 2.0T/MB E260L/BMW 530iL/Audi A6L 2.0TFSI
Price Range ¥406k-498k ($60k-75k)

The 'executive segment'
Lincoln Continental President 3.0T/Jaguar XFL 3.0T/MB E320L/BMW 540iL/Audi A6L 3.0TFSI
Price Range ¥615k-698k ($90-105k)

Currently the 6ES does very well in the lower end due to ES200's competitive price and a generous discount (up to ¥50k) for the ES300h. ES250 is pretty weak since the hybrid usually trade at about the same price. The only problem is that the ES is imported and thus carries a 25% tariff; therefore these competitive prices come at the cost of profitability.
The GS is almost irrelevant against its LWB competitors with much more space and amenities. The sport-oriented GS is very poorly received because chinese buyers expect nothing but a comfortable ride.
Now with the GS gone, the ES-L is a must if Lexus wants to keep a presence in the higher end of the segment. I propose the following lineup for the ES/ES-L dual that spans the price range between ¥278k-648k, basically making the ES 'one sedan to rule them all'.

The ES SWB is targeted towards the lower end and is available with the 6AR-FSE/A25A-FKS/A25A-FXS hybrid drivetrain:
ES200 ¥278k-298k/ES250 ¥328k-378k/ES300h ¥368k-448k

The hybrid will generally be more expensive than the 250, but with more trim options. This should make the 300h vs 250 choice more interesting instead of the 300h being the no-brainer.

The ES-L is targeted towards the higher end and is available with A25A-FKS/Hybrid/8AR-FTS drivetrain:
ES250L ¥378k-428k/ES300L ¥448k-498k/ES300hL ¥458k-508k

Finally there could exist an executive trim ES-L with four seats and V6TT or V6 Hybrid; the drivetrain will be imported.
ES400L executive at ¥648k or ES450hL executive at ¥698k
Alternatively if Lexus really want to go aggressive they can offer a ES300L/300hL with executive trim. An ES400L also poses a big threat to its LS350 flagship.

MB/BMW also offer imported SWB E-class/5 series and market them as sport-oriented premium sedans. An ES300 F-Sport could fill that niche as well at ¥428k.

Last edited:

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Having now seen the new Toyota Avalon believe that some work on the side of this rendering would benefit the overall design. Also agree with an earlier comment that the headlights need to be slightly slimmed down.
Why does the hood not meet cleanly with the top of the grille - i notice a number of cars now have this additional line here which i think is a distraction to the overall clean and sharp look.

Reactions: RAL

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Having now seen the new Toyota Avalon believe that some work on the side of this rendering would benefit the overall design. Also agree with an earlier comment that the headlights need to be slightly slimmed down.
Why does the hood not meet cleanly with the top of the grille - i notice a number of cars now have this additional line here which i think is a distraction to the overall clean and sharp look.

As far as the line is concerned, I agree wish it were to the grille but it would be a longer and lower hood and I bet it might have to do with meeting the pedestrian impact requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.