suxeL

Follower
Reactions
As stupid as it sounds, but performance crossovers will take over in the next few years. Lexus will keep struggling finding demand if they create the wrong product. I'm sure the sales distribution in M and AMG will heavily shift to crossovers as well.

The one killer product for Lexus should be a plug-in NX-F.

For sure, and I hope they make it as gawdy as their rivals. If they take the conservative, liveability approach they have taken with their other F models, it might appease a small demographic, but it wont be able to make an impact on the majority of conquest buyers who want a showpiece and substance.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
actually no, LF1 and LX will not have anything in common.

So they say LX will be radical departure, there is demand for an Escalade fighter 5-7 seater, so then that will be LX and the LF1 will come in some other form that is still 2+ years out?

Reactions
I don't know what models in the future would get an F version but I do know the first one is the LC F. I think it's logical to deduce the LS will get an F version and then another RC F. I'd like to see the IS F return as well and then maybe a midsized or large SUV.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I don't know what models in the future would get an F version but I do know the first one is the LC F. I think it's logical to deduce the LS will get an F version and then another RC F. I'd like to see the IS F return as well and then maybe a midsized or large SUV.

I wholeheartedly agree. Most likely (more than 50%) an LC F is coming...hopefully a production version shows up at the NAIAS. Probably (less than 50%) an LS F might be coming...to bring back the V8 LS loyalists. Keep the GS F and RC F and to round out the Lexus performance line bring back an IS F (lower price point than GS F)...and of course bring us F SUV's/CUV's...

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
LX F i assume too.

As much as I want to see a LC F and LS F we are talking very expensive cars. They need to ensure an IS F etc is a gateway to the F brand.

With the GS likely going away, that leaves only the RC F which at this point is 6 years old already (wow times flies).

James

Founding Member
Reactions
LX F i assume too.

As much as I want to see a LC F and LS F we are talking very expensive cars. They need to ensure an IS F etc is a gateway to the F brand.

With the GS likely going away, that leaves only the RC F which at this point is 6 years old already (wow times flies).
I agree. They need consistency with the F Brand. Don't just do a model here and then there. You have to be consistent with the F brand. Not every model needs an F but you need to have at least say ISF, RCF, LCF. I think LSF is a must as well but I can see the argument against it, and an F on the SUV side is a must but they haven't done anything Sporty and quick on the SUV side so could see that not happening. All in all they need to put their resources to this F brand and commit to it. I feel like we are almost back in what 08 when first ISF came out and not 12 years in and they have learned from their mistakes and will improve. I hope I'm wrong and these next F models kill it but this is a really tough market with the Ms, AMGs, and even S and RS (Audi) and Lexus needs to be on par with them if not even better as them, as Lexus does not have name recognition or history in this particular market.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I agree. They need consistency with the F Brand. Don't just do a model here and then there. You have to be consistent with the F brand. Not every model needs an F but you need to have at least say ISF, RCF, LCF. I think LSF is a must as well but I can see the argument against it, and an F on the SUV side is a must but they haven't done anything Sporty and quick on the SUV side so could see that not happening. All in all they need to put their resources to this F brand and commit to it. I feel like we are almost back in what 08 when first ISF came out and not 12 years in and they have learned from their mistakes and will improve. I hope I'm wrong and these next F models kill it but this is a really tough market with the Ms, AMGs, and even S and RS (Audi) and Lexus needs to be on par with them if not even better as them, as Lexus does not have name recognition or history in this particular market.

Agreed.... Germans have added their performance badge to numerous products. Almost seems countless. Then they have added sub performance lines under them.

So related, F-Sport has to pick it up too. They need to add more power there.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I think making F-Sport a legitimate half-step, a la the 43 AMG line. I think a performance application of hybrid technology could be an interesting spin on it.

I have a feeling they will use performance hybrid technology.
IS 400
IS F SPORT (maybe f sport will be the hybrid option?)
IS F (larger engine + hybrid)

Do that for RC, NX, LS, LX/LF1.

Do a factory GX OR lite. or make the GX a hardened, refined toy. Isn't the new LC going to be that sort of thing?

Last edited:
Reactions
i cant imagine my lc500 with 600 hp; at 471 i gotta admit i've never floored it...untwirling up from 4 to 5k rpm and it feels like it's gonna lift off, so i back off...no kidding, there is ferocious torque at the rear end...what you gonna do with the other 130 ponies ? whew !

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
i cant imagine my lc500 with 600 hp; at 471 i gotta admit i've never floored it...untwirling up from 4 to 5k rpm and it feels like it's gonna lift off, so i back off...no kidding, there is ferocious torque at the rear end...what you gonna do with the other 130 ponies ? whew !

with LC600h would you be lifting off from 1500 rpm i guess.

F-Sport is already going really well for Lexus, so look for them to expand it more.

It is just that finally they have platform to that ... if they can build GR Yaris of that, and offer it at pricing they will, it means lots of Lexii will get really nice F-Sport models in the future.

Reactions
just love the twirl of those 4 overhead cams; 4 gyroscopes spinning, keeping that motor purring, gently rocking, till you drop the pedal down...and what a beautiful sound !

mikeavelli

Reactions

It’s fast but not head throw back in the seat super fast. For most it’s amazing. To compete with the M8 etc it needs it.

Funny though, tonight I took off traction control and floored it at the light and my wife says “why didn’t you warn me” lol....

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I hope Lexus builds a F version of every model, like Mercedes does with AMG. It will build a brand following, loyalty and excitement of the brand. Mercedes has had great success with it and also M with BMW's. The 43 and 45 models are not real AMG cars in my opinion but it piggy backs on the name to sell more cars and appeal to those who want the AMG name but can't afford it or not willing to pay for it. But it's great marketing to sell more cars at better profit levels.

Having only 2 F cars and one on the way just is not enough to have brand recognition. By having a F Version of our slowest selling vehicles, Lexus will not appeal to may of its guests. Have a F version of our most popular products like the RX and NX! Wouldn't that make more sense and appeal to a greater audience?

I've owned 7 Mercedes car, 6 being AMG models and loved driving every single one. But hated owning every single one due to cost of maintenance and depreciation. Same can be said with my Porsche 911 Turbo and a few Range Rover Supercharged I've owned. Currently on my 12th and 13th Lexus cars, one being a Yellow LC500. What Lexus did 30 years ago to the luxury market by bringing better, less expensive luxury cars, with more reliability and more value, Lexus can do it again and change the Performance Luxury market. Better, more reliable, less cost to maintain, more value. All it needs is Brand Recognition. Ask anyone who's owned an AMG car if they would like more reliability and less cost of ownership. I don't care how rich they are, they will jump at it. BUT, still buy a Mbenz over a Lexus just because of the status of Benz ownership. Lexus has always been about the best products and value. But if we had the same name brand status of some of the German products, we can still have the best products but the value equation will go through the roof! Having more F models of realistic cars that many can own (I'm looking at you LFA!), Lexus will boost its Performance image and hopefully lose some of its Soccer Mom image.
BTW, I do love the fact that Lexus produced the LFA to show that it can be done and scream Profits be Damned! That took guts and showed they really can do anything they put their mind to it. Maybe Toyota should create another brand, a Hyper Luxury Sport brand to compete with Ferrari, Bentley, Lamborghini, Aston and so forth. It will change that market like Lexus did 30 years ago. That will get you street creds!

Just my 2cents.

Oh BTW again, I am selling a 2011 MB SL63 AMG with only 36k miles on it. Just had $4k in services done.
Maybe

And Maybe also Toyota will burn it's chances taking Aston as they did it before with Lotus

Frankly speaking if I want to buy something in this super niche super car I WON'T ever buy Benz, BMW, Audi and offcource Lexus

This niche is here to stay and if Lexus / Toyota wants to enter it , they must buy from it not making a new brand

Right now they have a tight relations with Aston as Akio is friend with the top guys there from Ulrish Bez to Andy Palmer even after they sold some shares to Lawrence Stroll, besides Aston is McLaren which is in need to investor also

and those will be the last opportunity for Toyota as well as Lexus for the BRAND RECOGNITION that they need it

let's face it, if VAG didn't bought Lambo, Bugatti, Bentley & Porsche it might not even be found today as separate company not even great corp.

and that exactly what the Chinese even knew it from very far beginng with Geely as an example

Last edited:

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Maybe

And Maybe also Toyota will burn it's chances taking Aston as they did it before with Lotus

Frankly speaking if I want to buy something in this super niche super car I WON'T ever buy Benz, BMW, Audi and ofcource Lexus

This niche is here to stay and if Lexus / Toyota wants to enter it , they must buy from it not making a new brand

Right now they have a tight relations with Aston as Akio is friend with the top guys there from Ulrish Bez to Andy Palmer even after they sold some shares to Lawrence Stroll, besides Aston is McLaren which is in need to investor also

and those will be the last opportunity for Toyota as well as Lexus for the BRAND RECOGNITION that they need it

let's face it, if VAG didn't bought Lambo, Bugatti, Bentley & Porsche it might not even be found today as separate company not even great corp.

and that's exactly what the Chinese even knew it from very far begging with Geely as an example
I do have to say I Love Lexus and Aston Martin (huge Bond fan here) that merger at least for me would be great (course have to be able to afford an Aston one day) to keep my brand loyalty.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly that's the only way to be seen as serious on the brand recognition search

Lexus is better than all the Germans in reliability, dependability, fit and finish, material, maybe even in handling with the TNGA, that's all great, but it want be taken seriously after all of that.

VAG was righteous, evil righteous if I dare to say it, they knew Audi has no chance against BMW & Benz, so VAG group gave Audi the money to buy Lamborghini, so now Lamborghini name are attached to Audi, Lexus needs this scenario for example to buy McLaren after BMW & Benz so it will give a lot of weight to Lexus name

Or they can do it as Audi when they managed far back to merge 4 brands into 1 in that case they must burn some more money for it

but either way it will be reflected so quick and Lexus will spread in Europe much more rapidly than even 2019 year

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Because most of European are attached to the European history and heritage, and nothing bad in it, same goes to Japanese people

As we do it in Russia, if you want to be a powerful oligarch either you marry from them or help the less powerful among them, but you will fail miserably if you want to be powerful just by yourself and your family, friends & money, there must be a powerful relative somewhere.

That's exactly how politics and even economy works,

In other words give every market the heritage they want, they didn't face it and won't face it in NA because the car market in NA is open somehow, just seat and watch with me how the table will be upside down for the European and American car makers in China after what Japan did to the Chinese with Corona virus and how the Chinese gratitude for what the Japanese did will effect powerfully on the Japanese car sales in China

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Because most of European are attached to the European history and heritage, and nothing bad in it, same goes to Japanese people

As we do it in Russia, if you want to be a powerful oligarch either you marry from them or help the less powerful among them, but you will fail miserably if you want to be powerful just by yourself and your family, friends & money, there must be a powerful relative somewhere.

That's exactly how politics and even economy works,

In other words give every market the heritage they want, they didn't face it and won't face it in NA because the car market in NA is open somehow, just seat and watch with me how the table will be upside down for the European and American car makers in China after what Japan did to the Chinese and how the Chinese gratitude for what the Japanese did will effect powerfully on the Japanese car sales in China

if that was all true, then brands like Maserati, Aston Martin, Lotus would never go down, because Europeans like their heritage.

I dont see anyone thinking BMW is higher end than MB because they own Rolls Royce, do you?

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Maserati, Aston & Lotus are already European among European like a white bird among white birds nothing different, you will only see it if this same white bird go with a group of black birds

that's exactly why BMW not saw as higher end even with Rolls, but in the same time VAG with Skoda and Seat may have Fiat / Lancia / Alfa current situation if they didn't bought the niche 4 brands

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Maybe it's different in Europe, but in NA the non-enthusiast car-buying public doesn't know VAG owns Audi, let alone Lamborghini (and if they did, it would be seen as a negative for Audi, not a positive for VAG). Similarly nobody knows BMW owns Mini, at least not until they find out what parts cost 😂