MKV Toyota Supra Master Thread

Reactions
MKV's insider had this interesting post to share.

Yeah boys! Yoohoo @Rhambler!! I have something to add on too! Don't you realize, that Toyota ordered BMW to manufacture the TOYOTA DESIGNED inline-six engine? Now, what kind of god damn company, despite its many flaws, has the balls to design a COMPLETELY NEW inline-six engine, even though all of their other cars have inline-fours, V6's, V8's and have no usage of the inline-six anymore? Oh right, because they can. That is just a MINUSCULE reason why they are amazing. You also do realize the reason why Subaru co-developed the BRZ/GT86/86/FRS was because they had a boxer four. Extremely great for balance and a low center of gravity. They realized if they were to use their inline-four cylinder engines, then it would end up resulting a hood line the size of a pickup truck, a la GTR.

Therefore, your previous argument about Toyotas incapability is now moot.

Last edited:

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
How’s it moot? They are incapable or maybe unwilling to engineer and develop a decent performance engine in house.

It doesn’t matter what they spec, it’s still being engineered and designed by someone else. If they engineered it themselves, why would they even need BMW and instead go straight to Steyr (or whomever) and have them build it directly?

Even if the “designed to 700 HP baloney” is true (not), Toyota likely did nothing more than express that in their “spec.” Besides, no car manufacturer today will warranty any car that is willfully modified so you can probably forget that BS.

I would bet A LOT that it’s the exact same engine in the Z4 and that engine is nothing more than a slightly updated B58 if not an off-the-shelf B58. Mark it, write it down, take a picture, do whatever with this post so you won’t be disappointed...

Which means the Supra will have a BMW engine—which everyone here is ragging on—because Toyota can’t build one themselves.

Reactions
How’s it moot? They are incapable or maybe unwilling to engineer and develop a decent performance engine in house.

It doesn’t matter what they spec, it’s still being engineered and designed by someone else. If they engineered it themselves, why would they even need BMW and instead go straight to Steyr (or whomever) and have them build it directly?

Even if the “designed to 700 HP baloney” is true (not), Toyota likely did nothing more than express that in their “spec.” Besides, no car manufacturer today will warranty any car that is willfully modified so you can probably forget that BS.

I would bet A LOT that it’s the exact same engine in the Z4 and that engine is nothing more than a slightly updated B58 if not an off-the-shelf B58. Mark it, write it down, take a picture, do whatever with this post so you won’t be disappointed...

Which means the Supra will have a BMW engine—which everyone here is ragging on—because Toyota can’t build one themselves.

Jesus Christ. I can't believe I am forced to repeat myself. Fine. I am going to make a list, but understand it and swallow the information. It is all true. There are people on the SupraMKV forum that are telling us information as we go. Obviously they cannot tell us anything monumental because of the Non-Disclosure Agreement that they signed. Get it?

1. Toyota designed everything about the engine. You name it, they did it. Except, it just starts from an inline-six block where BMW commonly manufactures, Toyota doesn't.

2. Are you seriously suggesting Toyota are a bunch of liars? Sweet mother of god. That's probably the biggest lie ever. They are conservative as hell. You want liars? See the following company; Volkswagen.

3. You do realize that the MKIV Supra was famous because of the capabilities of the 2JZ engine (obviously). The reason was that they made a bullet proof engine from the get-go, making nearly the same amount of power that they advertised that they developed it with similar to today (700 horsepower), then was heavily detuned. It was a racing capable specification engine, and that's what they're intending to do now. Now the new car is going to be an all on out balls to the wall sports car. It will also be miles easier to convert it to racing spec, as was explained in regards to the GT500 Super GT car and the WEC car (Nascar too but that's a different story, only aerodynamics would have a play in this, nothing else mechanical).

4. Toyota is dedicated to adding much more sportier modifications from the factory so, if they want to, buyers can add significant upgrades to aid with further enhancement of performance, though it's just factory upgrades, nothing too crazy, but still good. Still though, it will have the warranty because it is from the manufacturer, and it can be the car that people wanted in terms of tuning, but still wanting to have a stock factory car at the same time (some people like to keep their cars stock, to help it with the value of the car in the future, so this makes a lot of sense).

5. They put the B58 engine in there for testing purposes, especially the chassis. The insiders mentioned a couple of times that we will be getting a brand new, sexy inline-six engine, with a crisp dual-clutch transmission out of the gate. Manual to come later unfortunately. I'll be honest, I think the transmission may be provided by BMW, not 100% sure on this part, could be from someone else too. Still though, it will have to go through the stringent tests that Toyota does, to see if it can stand the test of abuse, mileage, and time. Anyways, I am definitely expecting a brand new engine for the Supra, and to have a more powerful (give or take 450 horsepower unit) version. They also did this because some forum posters suggested that they may also follow the old Supra formula, and that is to have a naturally aspirated engine alongside it. Though we aren't sure about this. All in all, it is much more impressive than you think. I don't understand your pessimism. You're describing this car as if it is going to be dead on arrival. To that I say, hell no.

6. Toyota can build anything they want. They always made calculated moves (whether it was boring or not at times), but you do realize they can blow money at anything full stop, and it still won't even make a dent in their coffers. They're more powerful than you think.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Jesus Christ. I can't believe I am forced to repeat myself. Fine. I am going to make a list, but understand it and swallow the information. It is all true. There are people on the SupraMKV forum that are telling us information as we go. Obviously they cannot tell us anything monumental because of the Non-Disclosure Agreement that they signed. Get it?

Stop trying. Other forum members have learned to ignore this guy...

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
Silver, in my opinion, there’s a very, very, VERY high likelihood that the engine in the soon-to-be-Supra will be nothing more than the B58. Toyota May put a plastic engine cover it with a Toyota symbol on it, but when it’s all said and done, when people finally get to peel back the curtains and digest exactly what it is, it will be a BMW B58.

Saying Toyota designed some engine somewhere is just a pipe dream and wishful thinking.

Only time will tell for sure, but I bet I’m right. We will see soon enough.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Guff's source says these are the closest rendering to the real car. There are only very minor differences, and the real thing will look way better in real life.

zLj5rIs.png

sMAZmuM.png

supra93

Expert
Reactions
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/ne...cifications-of-us-spec-mkv-supra.1306/page-39

Medrivfast said:
Hello, This is my first post. My neighbor works for BMW and brings home different cars before production wrapped. The other day I saw what looked like the new Supra on his driveway. A couple of days later I saw him and asked him about it. He confirmed it's the Supra. He also told me that it's also the new Z4. He said both cars are almost identical. The Supra on the driveway still had BMW badges under the hood. The Z4 will only be a convertible compared to the Supra being a coupe. He said he prefers to drive the Supra. It's a small car but very stiff chassis. Because of that he wouldn't recommend it as a daily driver. But, it handles great in the canyons.
The Z4 and Supra are the same with 3 different variances of engine's. From low hp to high hp they are
Forgot the size of the engine .
But, low hp is single turbo
Mid level is 3.0L Twin Turbo
High level is 3.0L Twin Turbo with Electronic Assistance (Approx 400hp)
Whether you believe me or not. I don't care. I'm not in the market to buy the Supra. I have a C7 Z06 already.
But, it does sound like a fun car to drive

fb_img_1528983088194-jpg.7100

fb_img_1528983094621-jpg.7101

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I heard the number given to dealers was 339hp and 354lb-ft of torque.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Hardcore Supra GRMN to lead Toyota sports car fightback

The future may be full of self-driving EVs and, inevitably, more SUVs, but the sports car is alive and kicking. That’s the message from Tetsuya Tada, chief engineer for the brilliant Toyota GT86 and forthcoming Supra – due in 2019.

We caught up with Tada-San at Le Mans, our conversation frequently punctuated by the wail of Toyota’s TS050 Hybrids blasting through Arnage. Here’s what he had to say about the new Supra, Gazoo Racing and why technology is the car enthusiast’s friend.

The new Supra will be a “pure sports car”
The Supra and new BMW Z4 will share a straight-six engine and gearbox, but they aren’t near-identical twins like the GT86 and Subaru BRZ. “Each company defined what we wanted and went from there,” explains Tada. “Both cars have completely different suspension and software calibration, for example.”

Tada insists the Supra “will be a pure sports car – practicality and comfort were almost not considered.” Its styling is partly shaped by the demands of GTE racing regulations, but it will still “look sexy”. The voluptuous rear wings of the GR Racing Supra Concept, revealed at Geneva 2018, are here to stay.

A hot Supra GRMN is coming, too
Following the critically-acclaimed Yaris GRMN hot hatch, will we see a hotter, GRMN-badged version of the Supra? Certainly not at launch, it seems, but Tada doesn’t deny the car is in development.

“I would like to see something like that eventually,” he smiles. “We are preparing for it”.

Gazoo Racing has big plans
Toyota’s sporty Gazoo Racing sub-brand was everywhere at Le Mans, and will soon be far more familiar on the road. As well as full-fat GRMN models, we’ll see GR and GR Sport versions of existing cars. These will major on racy styling rather than outright performance, in the mould of BMW M Sport or Mercedes-Benz AMG Line.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, a roadgoing version of the GR Super Sport hypercar concept is in the pipeline, too. “It’s very difficult to make a viable business case for sports cars,” says Tada, “but our young engineers are reaping the benefits of working in Gazoo Racing – and with BMW.”

Technology offers a different kind of driving fun
Many drivers see technology as the enemy when it comes to driving engagement and fun. However, Tada is remarkably upbeat about the role tech can play in future sports cars. “Spearheaded by the Supra, we’ve been working with app developers to use driving data and artificial intelligence in simulations,” he reveals. “It’s one way of getting more people interested in cars and motorsport.”

“You could be driving your Supra on-track, but racing against a virtual Fernando Alonso in real-time.” Sounds like an ego-bruising experience to us, albeit a very clever one…

The Celica and MR2 could make a comeback
The Supra isn’t the only famous Toyota nameplate that could make a comeback. Tada grins when quizzed about a possible return for the Celica and MR2: “I’m often asked that, and we get many requests.

“We’re committed to sports cars and Gazoo Racing means we have more resources for developing them. We’ll investigate what cars to introduce in-future, but this company set-up shows where we want to go.”

When Tada retires, he’ll drive off into the sunset in a Supra
You’d expect a man like Tetsuya Tada to have something special tucked in his garage. In reality, he says, “we only have my wife’s car at home. That’s because I’m always driving test cars, and simply don’t have time for more driving at weekends.”

When Tada retires, however, he’ll do so in his new Supra. “I’ll customise it to exactly how I like it and just enjoy driving it.”

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/supra-grmn-toyota-sports-car/

IMG_6945.jpg

IMG_6984.jpg

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
The Supra and new BMW Z4 will share a straight-six engine and gearbox, but they aren’t near-identical twins like the GT86 and Subaru BRZ. “Each company defined what we wanted and went from there,” explains Tada. “Both cars have completely different suspension and software calibration, for example.”

Tada insists the Supra “will be a pure sports car – practicality and comfort were almost not considered.” Its styling is partly shaped by the demands of GTE racing regulations, but it will still “look sexy”. The voluptuous rear wings of the GR Racing Supra Concept, revealed at Geneva 2018, are here to stay.

This pretty much confirms what most people have assumed all along: the Z4 and Supra will share identical engines and it will likely be the B58. I almost guarantee it now.

It's also code word for, we overemphasize "other" aspects of cars, since we can't develop engines, so to make up for that fact, we will stiffen the suspension to break your back in the hopes you won't notice the lack of an engine. lol.

Following the critically-acclaimed Yaris GRMN hot hatch, will we see a hotter, GRMN-badged version of the Supra? Certainly not at launch, it seems, but Tada doesn’t deny the car is in development.

“I would like to see something like that eventually,” he smiles. “We are preparing for it”.

Yeah, this is code word for, we never really thought about it until just now otherwise we would have developed it concurrently, which--from a logistical and efficiency perspective--would have made way more sense since it would eliminate duplication of efforts. So yeah, good luck waiting on this...

And finally, the title of the article...

Hardcore Supra GRMN to lead Toyota sports car fightback

I guess it's better late than never, but they are so far behind that I don't know if they will ever catch up.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Tada insists the Supra “will be a pure sports car – practicality and comfort were almost not considered.”

Not liking the sound of this. Every previous Supra generation had a mixture of sports car and grand tourer qualities, leaning more towards the grand tourer side.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
This pretty much confirms what most people have assumed all along: the Z4 and Supra will share identical engines and it will likely be the B58. I almost guarantee it now.

It's also code word for, we overemphasize "other" aspects of cars, since we can't develop engines, so to make up for that fact, we will stiffen the suspension to break your back in the hopes you won't notice the lack of an engine. lol.

Yeah, this is code word for, we never really thought about it until just now otherwise we would have developed it concurrently, which--from a logistical and efficiency perspective--would have made way more sense since it would eliminate duplication of efforts. So yeah, good luck waiting on this...

And finally, the title of the article...

I guess it's better late than never, but they are so far behind that I don't know if they will ever catch up.

Hahaha you are hilarious.

Levi

Expert
Reactions

Funny how you criticize the B58; according to your comments I understood the Germans make better engines than TMC.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Speaking of inconsistency...

Also, nobody asked anyone to bet anything on this forum because it's technically illegal.

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
I never criticized the B58. I criticized Toyota for having to use it, especially in such an iconic car as the Supra.

A smaller company like BMW can develop engines just fine. Toyota. Nope.

Others here have criticized BMW engines for being unreliable. That’s funny too considering it’s going in a Toyota.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

who are they actually behind?

btw, EVO thinks Toyota is most exciting brand in the world...

Yet there’s another company I believe is more deserving: Toyota. What?! I know. It surprised me, too. Largely because there’s a contradiction that leaves me feeling conflicted. After all, how can the maker of countless millions of white goods models qualify to be the most exciting car company in the world?

http://www.evo.co.uk/opinion/21260/...-still-be-the-world-s-most-exciting-car-brand