MKV Toyota Supra Master Thread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Gecko, I see it in another way. I will explain why, despite having so many setbacks, it will be a fantastic niche product, and while it may not have the "god-like status" that we would like from the new Supra, it will still be a good car.

You mention about the 415 HP Twin-Turbo V6 that they have "shelved" and have chosen a BMW motor instead. I don't think Toyota would ditch their own creation that easily to go for a BMW motor. Toyota knows what Supra enthusiasts want, and that is a Twin-Turbo I6 (not V6 or F6 or any of that jazz, simply because of the iconic Supra harmonics, sound and that certain ability to do wonders in terms of balance), RWD, a long hood and one hell of a taut chassis (the ability to tune has a factor in here too). I get it, and you're 100% right on power. It is too low for a sports car of this caliber, and to have that legendary nameplate. However, my good sir, you're not looking at the whole picture. You made an assumption how this will be around 3300 pounds. First of all, I certainly hope that does not happen. If it does, the Supra will flat out FAIL. No way will someone like Tada and Akio allow for something like this to happen. A few insiders continue to mention that at most, it will weigh a little more than 3000 pounds, and in lesser models, under 3000 pounds, which is astonishing for a sports car of this caliber. Tada was so focused on the Supra being light on its feet. If you see some of the latest videos, it actually goes really fast around the Nordschleife. Quite impressive if you ask me. An insider also mentioned that the lowest spec I6 model for the new Supra outmached the Cayman and its Z4 twin by a few seconds. Imagine the GRMN or the higher spec one. They really focused on the MkV to be more about lightweight, thanks to BMW using a newer, lighter platform, and it being hardtop. Speaking of lightweight, that is another thing that enthusiasts in general (doesn't have to be Supra followers) desire in a sports car nowadays. How about we compare power to weight ratio shall we?

If we were to compare the purported power to weight ratios then it would look something like this:

MkV Supra: 3000 lbs/335 hp = 8.9552 lbs/hp

MkIV Supra (Twin-Turbo) : 3500 lbs/320 hp = 10.9375 lbs/hp

I call that impressive.

That low weight, decent power outputs (if the 335 hp will be the only one we will be getting, which I doubt), and newer technology, these are some positives IMHO. Now for power, I think the power should be fine, when you hear about the insiders discussing about the Supra. They did remove the backseats, which ruins that grand touring nature of the Supra, but I guess they're trying to be a niche product, 2 seat sports car. You mention reliability too, do you honestly think Toyota would throw themselves down the cliff in reliability? No way (hopefully not at least)! I personally believe that is a reason why they also took a long time to release the car. Apparently, while having some similarities with the BMW engine, it should have some Toyota parts too. I could be wrong, but this is what I suspect. Also the N55 block that they would be using can handle tuning and is apparently more reliable than their other engines. Plus, if they were to build their own in-house I6 just for the Supra, with all that expectations, first of all, too much money will be spent for just one engine, one car (hopefully more), and it is just downright expensive.

There are so many other things too, but I'll leave it there. There are some negatives however.

- Most likely there won't be a manual (which was important in a Supra)
- It shares a lot of internal components with the Z4
- Interior is relatively the same as the Z4

Essentially they did re-skin the Z4 although with some original Toyota parts. That does make me a little upset. They're a gargantuan company, you'd think they would spend a little more. Although, I do think they are saving for that Gazoo Concept that they released at the Tokyo Auto Salon not that long ago. Maybe.

To close, I get it Gecko. This is our only chance to prove ourselves that we can build a 6-cylinder and or higher that is a genuine, hardcore, purposeful sports car (not counting Lexus here because they're essentially their own identity now). If we fail after all these years, the Supra, which is probably the most well known JDM car ever, will also be the same car that show the world that Toyota is a failure, in so many aspects of being genuinely sporty nowadays, also failed replicating that legendary aura like the MkIV Supra had ever again. Have high hopes that Toyota won't mess up because every time they released a sports car, while having some flaws in some terms, they were simply amazing in terms of purpose.

EDIT: P.S: The Cayman is F4 not an I4. Have a good one :thumbsup:

I agree with @ssun30's statement and I appreciate the well written reply.

However, the only reason tuners and enthusiasts loved the Supra's I6 is because the motor was able to handle many times the power it produced at OEM specs -- while still being reliable. BMW's I6s (N54, N55, not sure on B58) have proven NOT to handle high power well. Take a look through any of the BMW forums and you'll see a number of problems, not to mention the growing pains with fuel pumps and other things over the years. BMW's I6 cannot hold a candle to the 2JZ I6, and anyone who is looking to tune this car to 450+ HP will need to use a different box motor to do it. With their refusal to move away from I6s and to V6s, BMW has pretty much squeezed that engine to the brink while the 2JZ was just getting started at 320hp.

I think you're being overly optimistic about reliability as well. Do you know how many 150k-200k Supras there are on the road? How badly do you want to own a car with a BMW powertrain at 100k miles, let alone 150k or 200k? Toyota is going this route because it's an off-the-shelf strategy that is costing them very little - if you think they are reworking the powertrain for reliability, you are wrong. Toyota is CLEARLY not that invested in this car.

This car has no back seat. The same power specs it had 20 years ago. No manual. Top engine is a single turbo instead of twin turbo.

There are a million reasons why this car is really not a "Supra."

supra93

Expert
Reactions
In my experiences with an E39, E60, and F10 the drivetrain reliability have been fine. Its the electronics that you have to watch out for.

Reactions
Of course Gecko. I appreciate your class. I'll gladly respond.

I no way have the audacity (neither do any of us for that matter, purely blasphemy and I think pretty shameful if someone were to decry the reliability of a Toyota/Lexus) to compare any other manufacturers reliability (while some may be pretty damn good in their own right) to a Toyota or a Lexus. That's just how good they are. Period. These guys spend so much of their R&D so we can have dependable cars, so we can genuinely love, care, and treat our cars the very best in tip-top shape. They're not trying to make us suffer. While philosophically, some of their ideas are wrong, they want the best for their customers. I love you guys ToMoCo. :heart_eyes::sob:

You mention BMW reliability. I highly believe reliability issues within BMW began to really spurt growth around mid to late 2000's. The E46 M3 and 3-series in general, to my knowledge, were the very last BMW that had solid reliability. So anything then, or before, I would trust BMW. Don't think BMW has always been slacking. They really did the fundamentals of a car the best. They still do a okay job at it now, but it was miles better then. Back in the days when BMW was touted as true "German Engineering" like Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Porsche some Toyota's were notorious for rust issues which caused other gremlins within their cars.

Okay, about the Supra. Now you're right about the BMW engines not being able to maintain extreme high levels of power when tuned, BUT, they're not terrible either. So with an really reliable engine in BMW standards in relation to their other choices (slightly below average for Toyota's expectations), you seriously wouldn't think that a company, which is godlike for reliability, won't make sure they wouldn't add tweaks to the engine and transmission so their customers won't enjoy the hallmark qualities of the Supra? Then good sir, why in the hell would Toyota take almost 5 YEARS (when this thing almost gets released) if they would not focus on reliability and dependability? This project IMHO is 2 years overdue if you ask me. I am going to stay optimistic and say that they are invested (not as much as we want them to be but they still care).

In regards to the turbocharging, insiders said that it is most likely Twin-Turbo making 335 hp, which for a 3.0L Twin-Turbo I6 that is really under-stressed. Also, knowing BMW, they tend to underrate their horsepower and torque levels (ZE LYING GERMANS), so we should expect that too. We can still hold out for another higher power engine. According to insiders, Tada was also keen on having an all on out monster specification on top of this one too, so we will see......

To put it in the most polite way possible, I don't mean it in a rude manner and I apologize in advance if this kind of hits you in the wrong way, but I feel you're a bit too pessimistic. HOWEVER, I cannot blame you. For many years, Toyota has made fake promises (until a few years ago), that their cars are sporty, edgy, or any other superlative that you may connect to something of that level and they did not deliver at the end. I can see how also through the news of the Supra recently you can feel down from it. If you allow me to give you some advice, just believe that Toyota will TRY to do the best they can to make this the best experience possible. I've heard some other people say the exact same thing as me right now and I will also back that up. Look how great the FRS/GT-86/86 are doing in terms of purpose. Like I mentioned in the last post, they have flaws (and flaws are beautiful, that's what gives it personality), but they NEVER EVER strayed away from their original purpose and the vision that they have for the car. Which is why I am still one hell of a fan of Toyota today, and I know you are too (didn't mention Lexus because again, like my last post, they have their own identity and I love them even more for that).

In my experiences with an E39, E60, and F10 the drivetrain reliability have been fine. Its the electronics that you have to watch out for.

It's funny because I hear other things. If you're discussing about the 5-series, it goes like this. E39 (the most legendary 5-series in terms of driving and purity, and no no I am not forgetting about the E60 either, because that also had some redeeming qualities), is the most reliable of the bunch. E60 had a (excuse my language) crap ton of engine/transmission issues where it would internally combust, or it would devour its own engine parts (rods, valves, I can go on), and the SMG transmission would easily give out like no other, and since those transmissions were really expensive, it was just a headache to repair, lastly they had plenty of electrical issues too (battery would give out easily, I was not sure why though). The F10 is quite interesting here. I hear a lot of transmission issues and really odd engine issues too. What made it unbearable was the electrical issues. So they were not interesting cars at all. Now the G series BMW's (non M versions), after a long term review, a magazine reported that the electrical systems were really giving out. The connectivity between the phone wasn't working, or it was shutting the driver out and so many stupid issues. BMW is not the BMW we knew anymore. IMO, BMW's issues are 50/50 either electronics or engine/transmission.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
It's funny because I hear other things. If you're discussing about the 5-series, it goes like this. E39 (the most legendary 5-series in terms of driving and purity, and no no I am not forgetting about the E60 either, because that also had some redeeming qualities), is the most reliable of the bunch. E60 had a (excuse my language) crap ton of engine/transmission issues where it would internally combust, or it would devour its own engine parts (rods, valves, I can go on), and the SMG transmission would easily give out like no other, and since those transmissions were really expensive, it was just a headache to repair, lastly they had plenty of electrical issues too (battery would give out easily, I was not sure why though). The F10 is quite interesting here. I hear a lot of transmission issues and really odd engine issues too. What made it unbearable was the electrical issues. So they were not interesting cars at all. Now the G series BMW's (non M versions), after a long term review, a magazine reported that the electrical systems were really giving out. The connectivity between the phone wasn't working, or it was shutting the driver out and so many stupid issues. BMW is not the BMW we knew anymore. IMO, BMW's issues are 50/50 either electronics or engine/transmission.

I guess everyone experience will vary. Out of the three the E39 was the worst overall for us. Electrical issues and shitty interior that kept falling apart. It was the little things that added up quick. But the motor and tranny were solid. It had like 110k when we finally dumped it. The E60 was ok, we didn't have the one with SMG. Just the normal auto tranny. It had 150k on it when I sold it too a friend. The bad for that car was the water leak issue. BMW did later issue a recall. But what happen was that water got into the car and damage 3 module. Dealer wanted $9k to repair it LOL.... So my buddy ended up taking it off my hands. He stills daily its. Motor and tranny are still going strong. The F10 had a boring exterior design and did have very minor electrical issues. But I thought it was the most comfortable and reliable out of the three. We had to give it back because our lease expired.

Now back to the Toyota/BMW mash up. I'm guessing it will share more with the 2/3/4, so the electrical issues shouldn't be too bad.

Reactions
Yeah! I agree. I haven't heard ANYTHING notoriously bad about the 2-series. Which left me stunned everywhere. How amazing that BMW does stick to their roots through the timeless and extremely athletic 2-series. I really do think it is the MOST trustworthy model out of all of them, and dare I say more reliable then the rest of their lineup. I always had a soft spot for the 3-series, and thought that the 4-series was just an afterthought (no pun intended). One huge thing about the 3/4 are their interiors. It is like the inspiration was from early 2000's BMW's. So old, and bland looking (Lexus IS and RC are not perfect either but people loved the materials/craftsmanship/quality better in the Lexus cars).

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I wonder if the GR HV concept or whatever hybrid sports car they are working on is meant to be the fallback action to save some face.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
They're claiming 340hp and this is the "final design".

https://bestcarweb.jp/backnumber/2361

61hzn6izjtl-jpg.5435

61v0ffamcul-jpg.5436

Reactions
I don't know about you guys but don't you find that side air intake that's cut into the door a little weird? It just looks so odd. 340 HP? That's great, but only with two conditions...... there should be a stick and a hi-po model too. Toyota enough teasing us! :mad:

Last edited:

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Length: 172.4 inches
Wheelbase: 97.2 inches
Height: 50.8 inches
Width: 73 inches
Weight: 3,284 lbs
335hp
8AT

Reactions
Jesus they made this car large. If this is true, then it is 0.9 inches narrower, taller and 4 inches shorter than the C7 Corvette. I thought the weight would be around 3000 pounds. They failed us. 340 horsepower will not do anything for this Toyota if it is around the price of a Stingray (which is 455 HP). If it happens to be like what I said, then we should start worrying. They need to have something above 400 horsepower.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Jesus they made this car large.
Depends on what you're comparing it to. In terms of previous Supras, Mk5 would actually be the smallest. If the dimensions cited above are accurate, Mk5 would have a 3.2" shorter wheelbase and be 5.4" shorter than the smallest Supra to date, the Mk4.

For me, the biggest disappointment is the strongly rumored lack of a proper clutch-pedal manual transmission.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Rumored Supra:
Length: 172.4 inches
Wheelbase: 97.2 inches
Height: 50.8 inches
Width: 73 inches
Weight: 3,284 lbs
335hp

86:
Length: 166.7
Wheelbase: 101.2
Height: 51 inches
Width: 70 inches
Weight: 2,780lbs

The only measurement where the Supra is clearly larger than the 86 is length, and that is with a wheelbase that is 5" shorter. The 86 is already very light but considering a larger car with a 6 cylinder engine, I was never expecting the Supra to weigh only ~200lbs more.

Call me crazy, but the 86 might remain the more desirable car long term, especially if Toyota cancels it and replaces it with a "Celica Supra" at the bottom end.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/mkv-toyota-supra-dimensions-leaked.737

MKV
Wheelbase 2,470 mm (97.2 in)
Length 4380 mm (172.4 in)
Width 1855 mm (73 in)
Height 1,290 mm (50.8 in)
Curb weight 1,496 kg (3,284 lb)

Compare to the old model.

MKIV
Wheelbase 2,550 mm (100.4 in)
Length 4,515 mm (177.8 in)
Width 1,811 mm (71.3 in)
Height 1,265 mm (49.8 in)
Curb weight 1,510 kg (3,329 lb) (non-turbo) 1,570 kg (3,461 lb) (turbo)

Differences
Wheelbase -80 mm (-3.2 in)
Length -135 mm (-5.4 in)
Width +44mm (+1.7 in)
Height +25 mm (+1 in)
Curb weight -74 kg (-177 lb)

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Someone also pointed out that the top right claims a 0-60 time of 3.8 seconds vs the MKIV TT at 4.6 seconds.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So, they went through all these trouble to make a car that is slower, isn't original, doesn't have manual, can't be tuned, and isn't a premium GT 20 years later?

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Also SupraMKV's insider is saying it will be lighter than reported by Best Car Japan.