Live: Lexus Enthusiast at the 2016 Detroit Auto Show

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
I think when people saw Maserati, 911, S-class, 650i as the targets, I think it meant a mix. I think it meant target the S-class interior/tech but not the way to handles (its a boat). I think it targets the way the 911 drives. The way the Maserati looks. The way a 650 has a ton of tech.

Thats the way I interpreted it. The S-class coupe obviously is pretty much in a class of its own in regards to price/power/competition.

Lets look at some power/weight of the competition

BMW 650i
193" long
$89k-110k
4,275 to 4,520 lbs
Maserati GranTurismo
194" long
$132-$165+
4,145 to 4,365 lbs
444-454hp

Mercedes Benz
197" long
$121k-234k+
449-621hp
4707lbs +

Porsche 911
177" long
$84k-over 200k
350-560hp
3,042 to 3,693 lbs

So looking here the LC is in between the 911 and Germans/Italian in size.
It has more base HP
It weighs less than all but the 911 it looks like.
It will be prices the least fully optioned (no idea of pricing, I've heard 80-120k)

If its under 100k with some options and if the LC drives as good as it looks, there is nothing that can touch it. Like the S-class coupe, it will own a market by itself.

I know it wasn't mentioned but another car I hope it drives like is the AMG GTS. Honestly that is one amazing driving car, wonderful interior, looks great. It just starts at 129k for the S model, the non-S is coming and should be about 100k.

F-Type R is another great driving car but like the AMG 2 seat only.

I was told that the LC500 maxes out at $100k, then the LCF will take it from $130k+ or so with the new 600HP turbo V8 it will share with the LSF, but you won't see that engine until early 2018.
BD

mikeavelli

Reactions
I was told that the LC500 maxes out at $100k, then the LCF will take it from $130k+ or so with the new 600HP turbo V8 it will share with the LSF, but you won't see that engine until early 2018.
BD

That makes a lot of sense.. And glad to see you active here!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
BD

once again, you were told wrong. Lexus said at the show it starts just below 100k. So it will be priced like 99k base LC500 and then at least $10k for options we know of.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
You're wrong first.
In 'Murica, 2 tons is 4000 lbs. 'Muricans don't use Metric tons, because 'Muricans are so bad-ass!
Obviously, it would have to start under $100k to be under $100k loaded. LOADED, it will still be under $100k, so expect prices to start in the mid-$80s
This appears more of a 650i competitor than a S550.
BD

I hate to double post, but you are spreading wrong info. Sorry.

You are expecting base LC500 to cost same as GS-F with same engine. How does that work? Does LS cost the same as GS? It doesnt.
As to the weight, I have hard time understanding that you thought large LS based coupe will be lighter than 3900lbs. Thats class leading by more than 300lbs and 700lbs off nearest competitor (well lets say 500lbs since S550 is AWD).

650i does not really compete, it is based on 5 series, and interior is nowhere as nice as S coupe or LC. So it can be compared performance wise, but overall it is not same class of vehicle. Same goes for A7, its age does not matter but it is not same class of vehicle, it is one step lower. At this level, like it or not, BMW and Audi do not compete.

Once again, Lexus at the show said just under $100k.

Lexus says this LC 500 will start at just under $100,000, though the world will know it as a six-figure car.
http://jalopnik.com/the-100-000-lexus-lc-500-is-the-most-badass-lexus-sinc-1752278150

The LC 500 sports coupe, unveiled Monday at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, accelerates from 0-to-60 miles per hour in under 4.5 seconds, faster than the Mercedes SL550. The car will begin sales in early 2017 and start at just under $100,000, more for higher trims.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rts-coupe-to-break-dead-heat-for-luxury-crown

The LC will arrive in spring, 2017, and will be priced under $100,000. Jeff Bracken, who heads the Lexus division in the U.S., says the brand expects to sell about 400 a month in the U.S., and another 150 worldwide.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...stunning-lc-500-luxury-sports-coupe/78636928/

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think that @theLexfather is right on the money with competitors for this car.

Realistically, every auto maker is doing something a little different, and I think every buyer with ~$100k to spend is going to want something very different.

650i is a heavy car, and while very handsome, looks like exactly what it is - a coupe version of the 5/7 series.

S550 is pure luxury, everything is top notch... more of a competitor to the Bentley GTC in some ways. Looks just like a two door S Class.

911 for many is the standard in this price range. Porsche heritage, lightweight, track machine.

Maserati GT is for someone who wants something outside of those three that's a little more exotic looking and sounding, Italian craftsmanship inside, Ferrari V8.

I think Audi's best competitor for this car is the R8, not the A7. A little more expensive, but R8 is a very popular vehicle in this realm and offers unique styling and a true sports car experience.

This isn't like lining up a GS, 5 Series, E Class and A6 where they're all within 400lbs, 30 horsepower and $5,000 of each other. This is a very different class and you see each automaker speaking to a different buyer with a different option.

Aside from the Porsche, the LC is pretty light for a full/midsize coupe. It also seems like of the options above, it may be the third best driver's car behind the Porsche and Audi, but it's also not as hardcore as either, and certainly more luxurious. The N/A higher revving V8 with this super-quick 10AT will offer a unique driving experience across any car on the road. In my eyes - from what I've seen through photos - LC is the best looking car of the lot, combining ultra-modern styling with handsome aggression and an interior that looks more fitting for an Italian exotic.

The internet and probably much of the media will want to line these cars up and pick them apart based on specs, but really, I think this is less of a "spec" race than many other segments - and more focused on driver thrills... and Lexus has been winning that race for a few years now.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think that @theLexfather is right on the money with competitors for this car.

Realistically, every auto maker is doing something a little different, and I think every buyer with ~$100k to spend is going to want something very different.

well, you can buy a lot of cars for $80k, that does not make all of them competitors in same class.

S Coupe and LC are competitors in same class.

650i is coupe version of 5 series (not 7) and loaded versions may get similar pricing, but it is not same class of vehicle. Just as LS460 F-Sport and GS-F are not in the same class even if they cost the same.

Same goes for A7.

R8 could be competitor but it is sporty and not luxury GT like S Coupe and LC. Its competitor is 911. Similar to i8 i guess which is on the sporty side.

BMW always had a lack of real high priced vehicles, similar to Lexus but without LFA and without now LC. They are too busy making FWD platform vehicles that they plan to sell hundreds of thousand copies and not hundreds like these +100k vehicles.[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
well, you can buy a lot of cars for $80k, that does not make all of them competitors in same class.

S Coupe and LC are competitors in same class.

I agree with you - that is my main point. In this segment, it becomes hard to define what the class is or isn't.

650i is coupe version of 5 series (not 7) and loaded versions may get similar pricing, but it is not same class of vehicle. Just as LS460 F-Sport and GS-F are not in the same class even if they cost the same.

With 5 and 7 existing on the same platform, I just consider them the same thing. 5, 6, 7, they're all heavy and use the same engines and much of the same tech. Actually, 2015 7 is on the newer (lighter) platform though, which other cars are supposed to get in the future... just thought about that.

Same goes for A7.

I don't really consider A7 a competitor as it has four doors, nor would I consider the CLS nor 6 GC.

R8 could be competitor but it is sporty and not luxury GT like S Coupe and LC. Its competitor is 911. Similar to i8 i guess which is on the sporty side.

From what we know on paper, R8 does seem to be sportier, but again, we don't know that much about how the LC drives quite yet and I think it would be fairly common for them to be cross shopped despite the differences between GT cars and true sports cars.

BMW always had a lack of real high priced vehicles, similar to Lexus but without LFA and without now LC. They are too busy making FWD platform vehicles that they plan to sell hundreds of thousand copies and not hundreds like these +100k vehicles.

Agree. Funny to me that Lexus has been building higher performance, more exotic vehicles than BMW (LFA and LC have no real equals from BMW, as you state).

I have had friends and clients shop in this price range over the last 2-3 years. Many of them don't know the difference between a sports car and a GT car, or one that's based on a sedan platform. They care about how it looks, how it sounds and how it makes them feel.

Magazines/media/internet are going to try to define what the competitive set is or isn't, but my point is that for real life buyers - people with the money to spend - the experience will be really different. I just had a friend cross shop everything from an M4 to a Bentley GTC and he ended up with a barely used Gallardo.

I also think we will see a lot of pent up demand from existing Lexus customers - people coming from LSs, SCs, RC Fs - who wanted a car like this and won't cross shop anything else.

Reactions: RAL

mikeavelli

Reactions
Per Lexus:
Talk about a nice start. The Lexus LC 500 was named 2016 EyesOn Design Award for Design Excellence – Production Car and EyesOn Design Award for Design Excellence – Interior Design at the 2016 North American International Auto Show yesterday in Detroit.
image.jpeg

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I agree with you - that is my main point. In this segment, it becomes hard to define what the class is or isn't.

With 5 and 7 existing on the same platform, I just consider them the same thing. 5, 6, 7, they're all heavy and use the same engines and much of the same tech. Actually, 2015 7 is on the newer (lighter) platform though, which other cars are supposed to get in the future... just thought about that.

Yes, but that does not make 5 and (old) 7 same vehicle, right? So same goes here - there is huge difference between 6 series and A7 vs S coupe and LC when it comes to interior quality impression and pretty much everything once you see one up close and sit in it, let alone drive it. There is never doubt if 650i is lower class vehicle than S550i Coupe, and same goes for LC. I know you agree with me, but I still feel this needs to be repeated to sit in properly with people.

Underlying platform matters little and engines are shared across all lineups. What goes above that basic framework is what you feel and see, hence the difference between IS and GS for instance, 5 vs 7 or Camry and RX. When you sit in 650i or A7, there is no doubt in my mind for one second that these are "coupe" versions of 5 and A6 and that they are world apart from S Coupe (and now LC) or A8 for that matter, regardless of pricing.

Of course, buyers will buy cars for amount they have, they wont specifically care what class is something. So your buyer will have $110k and they will look at whatever they can get at $110k initially. That includes lower class vehicles tricked out as well as base versions of higher class vehicles. Heck a lot of them will also try some tricked out SUV with big engine. All of them will actually notice the difference in class though. As you said with your friend shopping, he cross shopped M4 with Lambo and there was no doubt in his mind which is which. Yes, they might have been all around 80k-90k (?) but there is no doubt in anyones mind when they sit in Lambo, M4 or M6 or 911 or S550 Coupe which class they belong to. It is no different in bottom part of the market... Loaded Camry/Accord, or 320i/A4 or Highlander is question that most people with 30k ask themselves.

Thats how it works, the car sales.

I really like how Lexus did the LC despite the fact that they need CT Sedan and TX that will bring their volume up by 20% worldwide. That shows commitment to luxury and to the brand. Only Mercedes competes here, BMW and Audi do not. And Lexus managed to leapfrog them with single vehicle. BMW and Audi are too concentrated on bringing up their small FWD vehicles and it shows.

And I see mainstream and automotive media recognize this. Numerous articles, from Automotive news to Jalopnik to Verge are pointing this out and congratulating Lexus. Literally all of 3, representing 3 different parts of media (Auto Business, Auto Enthusiast and Technology) remarked how this brings Lexus up in the world. Congrats Toyoda.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes, both the LC and the Buick Avista won some nice awards at the show....and apparently deserved them. :)

Reactions
Great job @ Lexus!

LC500 really stole the show. Gorgeous with its own style!
The interior moves to another level in auto industry, except those buttons on the left side of steer wheel should be metal like, especially those 3 up high (memory seats?).
I would like it silent at idle just like any Lexus.

Actually, there are other cars at show.

LF-FC is too understated for the concept of the next flagship sedan.
I know that a few other brands start doing those un-polished woods which I dont like at all, please make sure that this kind of wood is not the only option for future Lexus.

And, GS-F is a nice car. Too sad, it is over-shadowed by LC500.