Live: Lexus Enthusiast at the 2016 Detroit Auto Show

mikeavelli

Reactions
I don't really have any problem with the 5.0L V8 as the base engine. It's got more horsepower than the 650i, S550 Coupe, 911 or Maserati GT. It's smooth, it sounds great, it's relatively efficient.

It's also a nice, high revving engine - perfect for this car.

In many ways, I think the V8 is better in this car than the RC F or GS F.

Well stated

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Yeah this car looks amazing in the rolling shots. The l-finesse design style in general looks really good when in motion. I'll be interested to see a review of the driving dynamics when this car comes out too. I like the emphasis on driving feel that Lexus has been pushing lately, and this is just another great step forward.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Still in awe. Haven't been this awestruck with any Lexus unveil, only tied with the release of the 1990 LS! That interior crafstmanship is stunning and above all else much like when the original SC came out in 1992 over its competitors! :D Finally a product that WILL crush the competition like the early 90's Lexus era!!!

Kudos to Mr. Toyoda taking the risk on such a car following his passion for cars over a "business case" that would have shot down this car years ago. Oh, and a "base" LC 500 has the amazing RC F/GS F engine, we can bet the LC F will have the rumored turbos on this engine or an iteration of it. What a great time to be a Lexus fan, not so much for the haters! :p

RAL

Reactions
From the appearance and the sound ... it would seem the pursuit has been achieved ... perfection! The attention to detail is absolutely amazing!

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I don't really have any problem with the 5.0L V8 as the base engine. It's got more horsepower than the 650i, S550 Coupe, 911 or Maserati GT. It's smooth, it sounds great, it's relatively efficient.

It's also a nice, high revving engine - perfect for this car.

In many ways, I think the V8 is better in this car than the RC F or GS F.

It is nice that it has all new 10 speed tho, for bragging rights, especially since it is lighter than previous 8 speed too.

Also the fact that this comes with all new platform that is very lightweight and weights 4000lbs at most (based on 0-60), is awesome. 700lbs less than S550i is really, really, really nice number and interior is stunning too. 650i and A7 can not compare luxury wise, only S550 can and its "problem" is that it is too S class based, while LC has dedicated interior built for it.

I am sad to see cc stalk gone tho... it was obvious that they will change it since it is "Toyota" stalk but it was so intuitive and easy to use, nothing better has ever come up.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Lexus-LC_500_2017_1600x1200_wallpaper_2c.jpg

Awesome interior, best certainly ever for Lexus. And completely unique to LC too.

More pics:
http://www.netcarshow.com/lexus/2017-lc_500/

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Got the inside scoop on weight and price from my Top Secret inside-Lexus sources

My sources say this will be a ham-ass pork belly, like the RCF, at just over two tons, but under 4100 lbs, so not much different in weight than the RCF. BUT the good news is that a LOADED LC500 will come in under $100k.
BD

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Got the inside scoop on weight and price from my Top Secret inside-Lexus sources

My sources say this will be a ham-ass pork belly, like the RCF, at just over two tons, but under 4100 lbs, so not much different in weight than the RCF. BUT the good news is that a LOADED LC500 will come in under $100k.
BD

you read wrong article, and 2 tons is 4409lbs.

As Andrew English said in his driven article, it will weight 1800kg, same as RC-F which is as expected since they have same engine and same 0-60 mph number. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/lexus/lexus-lc-review/

Thats 700lbs less than S550 Coupe. 300lbs less than much less luxurious and frankly not the same class 650i.

And multiple sources confirmed it will start (!) at under $100k. Plenty of optionals like carbon fibre roof (instead of glass), rear wheel steering, mark levinson audio, etc, etc. It will likely be at least $20k more expensive than GS-F, as it should be.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Interesting to compare this to an S550 coupe.
S-Class starts at $121k, well-equipped more like $135k.
Lexus LC500 LOADED will be under $100k
Weight 4707 lbs (LC500 will be around 4050 lbs)
S550 is AWD
S-Class has less HP, at 449, but a ton more torque at 515 at just 1800 RPM
The Mercedes is a much bigger car, 10 inches longer, giving it a limo back seat with 43" of rear legroom.
Small trunk for both. the Merc on has 10 cu ft
113 inch wheelbase for the Lexus 116 for the Benz, so the rear of the Lexus should still have very good legroom.
BD

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
you read wrong article, and 2 tons is 4409lbs.

As Andrew English said in his driven article, it will weight 1800kg, same as RC-F which is as expected since they have same engine and same 0-60 mph number. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/lexus/lexus-lc-review/

Thats 700lbs less than S550 Coupe. 300lbs less than much less luxurious and frankly not the same class 650i.

And multiple sources confirmed it will start (!) at under $100k. Plenty of optionals like carbon fibre roof (instead of glass), rear wheel steering, mark levinson audio, etc, etc. It will likely be at least $20k more expensive than GS-F, as it should be.

You're wrong first.
In 'Murica, 2 tons is 4000 lbs. 'Muricans don't use Metric tons, because 'Muricans are so bad-ass!
Obviously, it would have to start under $100k to be under $100k loaded. LOADED, it will still be under $100k, so expect prices to start in the mid-$80s
This appears more of a 650i competitor than a S550.
BD

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Another issue is I was hoping the next Lexus LS would be more lightweight, and maybe drop some pounds compared to the current model, but it looks like it will gain size and weight to go after the S-Class. If this car at just 187 inches is almost 4100 lbs, the much larger LS will be at least 4500 lbs. It will need more than this V8 to keep up with the twin-turbo torque of a S550.

Lexus can't mail it in with this engine if weight is gonna be comparable to the S550 sedan.
BD

mikeavelli

Reactions
I think when people saw Maserati, 911, S-class, 650i as the targets, I think it meant a mix. I think it meant target the S-class interior/tech but not the way to handles (its a boat). I think it targets the way the 911 drives. The way the Maserati looks. The way a 650 has a ton of tech.

Thats the way I interpreted it. The S-class coupe obviously is pretty much in a class of its own in regards to price/power/competition.

Lets look at some power/weight of the competition

BMW 650i
193" long
$89k-110k
4,275 to 4,520 lbs
Maserati GranTurismo
194" long
$132-$165+
4,145 to 4,365 lbs
444-454hp

Mercedes Benz
197" long
$121k-234k+
449-621hp
4707lbs +

Porsche 911
177" long
$84k-over 200k
350-560hp
3,042 to 3,693 lbs

So looking here the LC is in between the 911 and Germans/Italian in size.
It has more base HP
It weighs less than all but the 911 it looks like.
It will be prices the least fully optioned (no idea of pricing, I've heard 80-120k)

If its under 100k with some options and if the LC drives as good as it looks, there is nothing that can touch it. Like the S-class coupe, it will own a market by itself.

I know it wasn't mentioned but another car I hope it drives like is the AMG GTS. Honestly that is one amazing driving car, wonderful interior, looks great. It just starts at 129k for the S model, the non-S is coming and should be about 100k.

F-Type R is another great driving car but like the AMG 2 seat only.