Lexus USA Promises "14 (now 17) New Products" in 2018

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Arguably worth noting here is the RC F-Sport Prime Black (or Black Edition). First announced in late November 2017 in Japan, then in Europe (including the United Kingdom) earlier this month, this murdered-out appearance package (shown below) includes a dark chrome grille, matte black wheels and black stainless steel outside window moldings. Only orange seat stitching and (at least in Japan) brake calipers break up the unremitting blackness.

x17-11-30-lexus-rc-prime-black-hero.jpg.pagespeed.ic.2XLRf560Iw.jpg

But what about the U.S.? At this point, nothing. But could its under-the-radar, no-press-conference debut at the New York Auto Show mark Lexus' 12th new entry for 2018?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Arguably worth noting here is the RC F-Sport Prime Black (or Black Edition). First announced in late November 2017 in Japan, then in Europe (including the United Kingdom) earlier this month, this murdered-out appearance package (shown below) includes a dark chrome grille, matte black wheels and black stainless steel outside window moldings. Only orange seat stitching and (at least in Japan) brake calipers break up the unremitting blackness.

x17-11-30-lexus-rc-prime-black-hero.jpg.pagespeed.ic.2XLRf560Iw.jpg

But what about the U.S.? At this point, nothing. But could its under-the-radar, no-press-conference debut at the New York Auto Show mark Lexus' 12th new entry for 2018?

they just PR'd it (literally 26m ago):
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/lexus+draws+new+black+line+rc+f+sport+models.htm?view_id=27469

I am surprised you are not on their mailing list, there is signup somewhere on that site.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
they just PR'd it (literally 26m ago):
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/lexus+draws+new+black+line+rc+f+sport+models.htm?view_id=27469

I am surprised you are not on their mailing list, there is signup somewhere on that site.
LOL! Thanks for the heads up. I swear I wrote that without seeing the USA news release.

Curiously, I get email notifications from the Lexus Spain Newsroom and pop-up alerts from Toyota and Lexus UK, but I never bothered to sign up with their USA Newsrooms. I just manually check once or twice a day and that's it. Guess I should sign up.

It's interesting to note the subtle differences in this package between Lexus' main markets:

Prime Black (Japan): Caviar (a.k.a. Graphite Black) (223) exterior; Wheels have a contrast matte black and bright machined finish; Orange brake calipers are standard on RC 350 and optional on RC 300.

Black Edition (Europe): As above, but brake calipers are black (no mention of orange, and photo shows a black caliper).

Black Line Special Edition (U.S.A.): Caviar (223) or Atomic Silver (1J7) exterior; Wheels are describe only as "matte black" (but appear to be the same contrast matte black and bright machined finish as other markets); Option of black or orange brake calipers.

And, with this, the list stands at 12:

1) 5th-gen LS
2) 5th-gen LS Hybrid
3) LC Inspiration Series
4) RX L
5) RX L Hybrid
6) 2-row LX
7) LF-1 Limitless concept
8) RC F 10th Anniversary Special Edition
9) GS F 10th Anniversary Special Edition
10) UX
11) UX Hybrid
12) RC F-Sport Black Line Special Edition

mikeavelli

Reactions
Curious to see the interior, I like the exterior touches, especially the blacked out side window trim. Mahn would it hurt for a power bump of any short though :)

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
And, with this, the list stands at 12:

1) 5th-gen LS
2) 5th-gen LS Hybrid
3) LC Inspiration Series
4) RX L
5) RX L Hybrid
6) 2-row LX
10) UX
11) UX Hybrid
The Lexus USA Newsroom's March 2018 and Q1 2018 Sales Conference Notes tacitly confirms that tally with this passage:

Already this year we've announced 12 of 17 new models, concepts, and special editions. And there's still more news to come this year.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Overdue for an update to 14 (the number originally touted by Lexus USA):

1) 5th-gen LS
2) 5th-gen LS Hybrid
3) LC Inspiration Series
4) RX L
5) RX L Hybrid
6) 2-row LX
10) UX
11) UX Hybrid
13) 7th-gen ES
14) 7th-gen ES Hybrid

That leaves 3 more to be introduced by the end of 2018. I think we've seen everything regarding new models. I'd guess the last 3 will be either special editions or concepts.

Special editions can come at any time and announced via the multiple official Lexus newsrooms and media sites. By my reckoning, though, only a trio of concept unveiling-worthy events and venues remain:

- Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance (Tuesday 21 August thru Sunday 26 August)
- Paris Motor Show (likely press days Tuesday 2 October and Wednesday 3 October)
- Los Angeles Auto Show (likely press days Wednesday 28 November and Thursday 29 November)

mikeavelli

Reactions
Would the ES F-Sport count? Also the ES might arrive around Pebble Beach, could a special launch edition be coming?

The IS/GX haven't been touched maybe they are next?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Would the ES F-Sport count?
I don't think so, since the LS F-Sport wasn't counted separately.

Also the ES might arrive around Pebble Beach, could a special launch edition be coming?
That's a possibility.

The IS/GX haven't been touched maybe they are next?
Unless they get a special edition trim package, I don't think so. Facelifts to existing models don't count.

Can 2 of them be the LC-F & LS-F ?
They would definitely count, if Lexus decides to unveil them by the end of the 2018 calendar year.

Reactions
So at least there's a still hope in head y weight hp machine

If they were to introduce the LC F or LS F by the end of the year, then we would already get a scoop in regards to the information of their Twin-Turbocharged V8. However, since we don't have any information in regards to this, I'm thinking the year of 2019, or even 2020 for the release of both of them. Remember, we are also getting an LC convertible in a few years.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
If they were to introduce the LC F or LS F by the end of the year, then we would already get a scoop in regards to the information of their Twin-Turbocharged V8. However, since we don't have any information in regards to this, I'm thinking the year of 2019, or even 2020 for the release of both of them. Remember, we are also getting an LC convertible in a few years.

while we dont know when they are coming, when it comes to scoop we got info from different JPN mags that it is v8 tt with over 600hp. So there is a "scoop"

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Does the LS event count as I think it was announced in 2017?

Somehow I doubt that 14 of the products have already been announced and we aren't even at Summer yet, shouldn't they be spreading the announcements throughout the year?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Does the LS event count as I think it was announced in 2017?

Somehow I doubt that 14 of the products have already been announced and we aren't even at Summer yet, shouldn't they be spreading the announcements throughout the year?

usually all new products are announced few months before they go on sale.. for instance UX will go on sale in December, and it has been announced month ago. Rav4 is also late this year... ES is 4-5 months away?

So anything they announce next is either special edition, minor model change (MMC) or something that is going to be available from spring 2019.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
usually all new products are announced few months before they go on sale.. for instance UX will go on sale in December, and it has been announced month ago. Rav4 is also late this year... ES is 4-5 months away?

So anything they announce next is either special edition, minor model change (MMC) or something that is going to be available from spring 2019.
Or a second concept car besides LF-1 Limitless. I don't think they're counting minor model changes.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Anyone think of the GX refresh?
you think they would not count refresh of RC?
I don't think that, in and of themselves, GX and RC refreshes count, based on the following requotes from earlier in this thread:

"In 2018, we'll have 14 new products to talk about," (Lexus USA general manager Jeff) Bracken said. "Whether it's a concept or a next-generation [model] or a vehicle that we've never revealed before, special editions, anniversary editions. There will be 14 vehicles that we have never spoken about or are hitting the market."

Will Lexus just settle on a number already? :mad: We've already gone from 14 to 15, and now, towards the end of the LF-1 Limitless press conference, Lexus USA Group Vice President and General Manager Jeff Bracken states that "For 2018...Lexus will showcase 17 new concepts, special editions, and all-new models"...

Already this year we've announced 12 of 17 new models, concepts, and special editions. And there's still more news to come this year.

On the other hand, if, say, a 2-row GX or IS Hybrid or RC Hybrid for North America or RC or LC Convertible were to debut, those would definitely count.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I don't think that, in and of themselves, GX and RC refreshes count, based on the following requotes from earlier in this thread.

It's about time they show the LC Convertible concept!

About the GX, well, apparently the Prado refresh was considered a "new model" since the interior was completely redesigned, TSS+ was added, and the 2GR replaced the old faithful 1GR (which generated a lot of controversy).