Lexus USA Promises "14 (now 17) New Products" in 2018

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
We will see what will happen, but in short the new Avalon design made me optimistic about the next ES

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
There are 4 major auto shows coming up between now and late April. They are:

- Chicago (press days Thursday 8 & Friday 9 February)
- Geneva (press days Tuesday 6 & Wednesday 7 March)
- New York (press days Wednesday 28 & Thursday 29 March)
- Beijing (press days Wednesday 25 & Thursday 26 April)
We can scratch Chicago, it seems. Their press conference schedule does not show a Lexus listing. There is a remote chance the Chicago show could mark the public debut of LS and/or LX Inspiration Series models or some other special edition without a dedicated press conference (similar to the way Lexus first unveiled its expanded F-Sport accessory line back in 2009).

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
You're right as far as what the press release upping the count from 14 to 15 said. But at the LF-1 press conference, right after the "17 New Models" announcement, Jeff Bracken specifically showed images of and mentioned RX L, RX L Hybrid, 2-row LX and LC Inspiration Series as "going on sale next month".

Perhaps the thing to do, then, is run two lists, one with whatever is revealed in calendar year 2018 and another with whatever was revealed during calendar year 2017 but not going on sale until 2018. Then, at the end of this year, if the "revealed in calendar year 2018" list comes up short, then we'll know that some if not all of the 6 models on the second list really belonged on the first.

Here are the updated (for now) lists:

SURE (revealed during calendar year 2018)
1) LF-1 Limitless concept

MAYBE (revealed in 2017 but going on sale in 2018)
1) 5th-gen LS
2) 5th-gen LS Hybrid
3) LC Inspiration Series
4) RX L
5) RX L Hybrid
6) 2-row LX

Toyota and Lexus' January 2018 Sales Report for the U.S. brings some clarity with this direct quote from Lexus USA group vice president and general manager Jeff Bracken:

"...the all-new three-row RXL is just now starting to hit dealership showrooms. Combined with the launch of our fifth-generation LS and LS hybrid this month, along with the Limited Edition LC Inspiration Series and two-row LX, we're very optimistic about the year ahead. These new models will be followed throughout the year by 10 additional new models.”

Thus, we have a total of 17 new concepts, special editions, and all-new models, either first revealed or going on sale during calendar year 2018. In order of public appearance, they are:

1) 5th-gen LS
2) 5th-gen LS Hybrid
3) LC Inspiration Series
4) RX L
5) RX L Hybrid
6) 2-row LX
7) LF-1 Limitless concept

Plus 10 more to be revealed during the course of 2018. Per current rumors (and strong hints from Lexus' Spanish and Norwegian outposts), the first of these would be UX and UX Hybrid on Tuesday 6 March at the 2018 Geneva Motor Show.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Toyota and Lexus' January 2018 Sales Report for the U.S. brings some clarity with this direct quote from Lexus USA group vice president and general manager Jeff Bracken:

Thus, we have a total of 17 new concepts, special editions, and all-new models, either first revealed or going on sale during calendar year 2018. In order of public appearance, they are:

1) 5th-gen LS
2) 5th-gen LS Hybrid
3) LC Inspiration Series
4) RX L
5) RX L Hybrid
6) 2-row LX

Plus 10 more to be revealed during the course of 2018. Per current rumors (and strong hints from Lexus' Spanish and Norwegian outposts), the first of these would be UX and UX Hybrid on Tuesday 6 March at the 2018 Geneva Motor Show.

+
ES
ES Hybrid
UX
UX Hybrid

Still 6 models to go

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
ES could possibly have 3 models... UX will certainly have 3, but not for USA.

Toyota Europe also announced that main models for Europe will have 2 hybrid powertrains, basically they will add a sportier hybrid powertrain to each model... I wonder if that might come to the USA as well... maybe ES, maybe NX?

For Europe it means more powerful hybrids for: Auris (Corolla), C-HR, Rav4, and of course Avensis, Verso whatever becomes out of them.

This will come this year with C-HR, and when new Auris gets announced as well as Rav4 I guess... so there is an possibility for it to happen in NA (although slimmer since hybrids are not that important for NA).

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Lexus count all the petrol engine as 1 and all the hybrid as 1
So unless the ES or the UX or both have EV variant for example they will be named by Lexus as 2 ESs & 2 UXs

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Lexus count all the petrol engine as 1 and all the hybrid as 1
So unless the ES or the UX or both have EV variant for example they will be named by Lexus as 2 ESs & 2 UXs

i doubt that it is a rule... here they counted a special color as one model... it is just that they have a 2 powertrains for most of their US market, and this is after all 10 models for US market, not world.

But yeah, I am also pretty sure they wont add several hybrid powertrains for same vehicle in the US, they dont sell more than 15%.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
The proof is if you returned to year 2015 you will find the GS300h & GS450h in Europe is counted as 1

So Lexus count per powerhouse
The LC is a variant or not from the 17 is still not clear

But even if it's a variant it's just nip-tuck performance variant

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The proof is if you returned to year 2015 you will find the GS300h & GS450h in Europe is counted as 1

So Lexus count per powerhouse
The LC is a variant or not from the 17 is still not clear

But even if it's a variant it's just nip-tuck performance variant

it is just a color and counted according Lexus PR from Friday... I dont think Lexus Europe means anything when it comes to Lexus USA claim of 14 models, they mean for US market, not the world.

Not that it matters anyway.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
So either it's 13/17 depending on your theory or 11/17 depending on mine

The gap is not this much anyway

I believe the CT in all market other than the North American market also due is the HS in Japan and Asian market

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
So either it's 13/17 depending on your theory or 11/17 depending on mine

The gap is not this much anyway

I believe the CT in all market other than the North American market also due is the HS in Japan and Asian market

It is 14 according to the Lexus USA...

pretty sure HS will never return... and that CT is not this year, if it does come back... Auris/Corolla hatch is coming this year, but I dont think that is for US market, it is always late for US.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Even with your theory as 3 ESs and 3 UXs from total 14 this leaves another spot to be filled

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Even with your theory as 3 ESs and 3 UXs from total 14 this leaves another spot to be filled

sorry for not explaining it better, i was just talking about possibilities, pretty sure that for US there will be max 2 UX models and they might be counted... also only US models are counting under those 14 for sure.

In any case, I think big reveals this year are LS, ES and upcoming UX... i doubt there will be anything significant? Maybe RX refresh?

mikeavelli

Reactions
:)
A Decade of Lexus Performance

Special Edition GS F and RC F Models Commemorate Ten Years of “F” Cars

CHICAGO (Feb. 5, 2018) – The purest expression of Lexus performance, that was the goal of the Lexus “F” performance brand when it was introduced in 2008. Every vehicle with an “F” badge would set new standards for Lexus performance and help redefine the brand for a new generation of customers.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
That puts the current tally at 9:

1) 5th-gen LS
2) 5th-gen LS Hybrid
3) LC Inspiration Series
4) RX L
5) RX L Hybrid
6) 2-row LX
8) RC F 10th Anniversary Special Edition
9) GS F 10th Anniversary Special Edition

If we are going by Lexus numbers, it is currently 6, with 8 to go for 14.

In any case, it is 8 left.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
:)
A Decade of Lexus Performance

Special Edition GS F and RC F Models Commemorate Ten Years of “F” Cars

CHICAGO (Feb. 5, 2018) – The purest expression of Lexus performance, that was the goal of the Lexus “F” performance brand when it was introduced in 2008. Every vehicle with an “F” badge would set new standards for Lexus performance and help redefine the brand for a new generation of customers.

it looks stunning, inside and out

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I think Lexus will debut the new ES at the Beijing Auto Show at the end of April. China is the second biggest market for Lexus in the world, and the ES is the top-selling model there. Hosting a new model debut has to be considered a great honor, and honestly, China deserves it.
Looks like you called it correctly. The 2018 New York Auto Show press conference schedule has finally been posted and it does NOT list an entry for Lexus. So, nothing new for New York and Beijing it is for 7ES, apparently...

Also, time to update our ongoing tally, which now stands at 11. In order of unveiling, they are:

1) 5th-gen LS
2) 5th-gen LS Hybrid
3) LC Inspiration Series
4) RX L
5) RX L Hybrid
6) 2-row LX
8) RC F 10th Anniversary Special Edition
9) GS F 10th Anniversary Special Edition
10) UX
11) UX Hybrid

Last edited: