Lexus Trademarks LM 350 & LM 300h Nameplates in USA

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
For those of you who think that LQ relates to any Lexus product, I would strongly advise thinking twice before jumping to conclusions. I posted a long spiel some time ago explaining Toyota's practice of applying for trademarks. Just because something looks vaguely suspicious, does not mean that it necessarily points to any exciting new product. Toyota has not trademarked just the letters for any Lexus lines since quite a a while ago. Even the "CT' mark from 2014 is dead. The most recent brand new model, the UX, was never trademarked as just "UX". "UX200" and "UX250h" are trademarked.

Thanks for making this point... I almost skipped to the end of the thread to make a similar post, but am glad I read through.

Just a model designation means little, historically. If we had gotten LQ 500 and LQ500h, I'd have been fairly certain that LQ = LF-1 Limitless. However, these LM trademarks with an associated number/displacement are much more believable. With that said, trademarking LM350 and LM300h in USA makes little sense to me for a flagship car... I'd believe those numbers if these were registered somewhere in Europe, perhaps.

So, not sure what to make of this overall.

LM - "L" - always denotes flagship for Lexus.

300h/350 are the bottom/middle part of Lexus' North American lineup in terms of displacement. Aka not a flagship, at least in terms of displacement/power.

I'm stumped.

amoschen7

Fan
Reactions
Any one thought of a completely autonomous-centric design? Something like the Mercedes autonomous driving concept that emphasis on providing transport other than driving pleasure. The name could stand for Lexury mobility and the moderate displacement can be explained because it is simply not designed for sporty feeling but smooth transportation.

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Any one thought of a completely autonomous-centric design? Something like the Mercedes autonomous driving concept that emphasis on providing transport other than driving pleasure. The name could stand for Lexury mobility and the moderate displacement can be explained because it is simply not designed for sporty feeling but smooth transportation.
I don't think the 300+hp 3.5L V6 is underpowered for most people. It's certainly enough to provide decent driving pleasure. The F version can come later for those hungry for more power.

From what we can see Toyota/Lexus is so far quite a bit behind the curve in autonomous driving tech, so there's little reason to think that Lexus would trademark a dedicated autonomous model at such an early stage.

If the ML-Class is anything to go by, the letter "M" in LM should stand for multipurpose IMHO.

Sakura

Fan
Reactions
I don't think the 300+hp 3.5L V6 is underpowered for most people. It's certainly enough to provide decent driving pleasure. The F version can come later for those hungry for more power.

Agreed. The 300+HP model will be enough for the average consumer. The average consumer doesn't care or need the power. A good example of this is the SUV market.
Currently - the Lexus NX and RX sells insanely well compared to the X3, X5, GLC and etc... The German SUV models are pretty quick, quicker than Lexus SUVs. However - Lexus pulls more sales because the selling point of an SUV isn't power. Majority of SUV owners just want something reliable for their family or kids.

Whatever this LM is - Toyota is probably targeting a specific group of people. Its likely it'll sell well without a high-powered model.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Have to say, this discussion is great. This type of mystery trademark is one of my favorite things about writing about Lexus.

As others have said, the L designation and the engine codes make no sense to me. I really like the idea of a van based on the Alphard -- have really strong feelings about the Vellfire variant.

vellfire-color-ext-3.jpg

Seriously, sign me up.

maxresdefault.jpg

:heart_eyes:

Who wants to Photoshop the LX front end on that Vellfire?

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
For those who doubt the flagship credentials of a minivan, the Alphard/Vellfire twins are Toyota's flagship in Japan after the Century. Also in China and Hong Kong it is sold at S-Class prices.

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
For those who doubt the flagship credentials of a minivan, the Alphard/Vellfire twins are Toyota's flagship in Japan after the Century. Also in China and Hong Kong it is sold at S-Class prices.
The problem is certainly not in Asia, but in the US, where this LM trademark is registered, where vans simply don't project the image of luxury, let alone a flagship luxury vehicle. Lexus should keep its "L" vehicles exclusive to what people can actually recognize as flagship luxury. Forcing it against people's established perception will simply work to dilute what "L" stands for.

Last edited:

Sakura

Fan
Reactions
The problem is certainly not in Asia, but in the US, where this LM trademark is registered, where vans simply don't project the image of luxury, let alone a flagship luxury vehicle. Lexus should keep its "L" vehicles exclusive to what people can actually recognize as flagship luxury. Forcing it against people's established perception will simply work to dilute what "L" stands for.

Agreed. The problem is the US and its perception of what "luxury" is. The problem is that Americans don't see mini-vans as a luxury status symbol.

Anyone remember the Mercedes Benz R-Class? Its pretty much a Luxury Minivan. The sales for it was horrible. It peaked sales numbers in 2006 (18K/units) and 2007 (13K/units). Before and half that - the R-Class stayed below 3K unit sales. And during its last 3 years on the market, it barely sold 50 units. It was ultimately a failure and MB canceled it.

This is proof luxury minivans aren't in demand in USA. Americans just don't see it as a luxury item. And - logically speaking - why would anyone pay more for a MB minivan when you can get a cheaper Japanese minivan for less.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Agreed. The problem is the US and its perception of what "luxury" is. The problem is that Americans don't see mini-vans as a luxury status symbol.

Anyone remember the Mercedes Benz R-Class? Its pretty much a Luxury Minivan. The sales for it was horrible. It peaked sales numbers in 2006 (18K/units) and 2007 (13K/units). Before and half that - the R-Class stayed below 3K unit sales. And during its last 3 years on the market, it barely sold 50 units. It was ultimately a failure and MB canceled it.

This is proof luxury minivans aren't in demand in USA. Americans just don't see it as a luxury item. And - logically speaking - why would anyone pay more for a MB minivan when you can get a cheaper Japanese minivan for less.

R Class was sold longer in China (Asia?) if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Again, why do you guys insist a Luxury Minivan LM would sell in significant numbers in USA to the point it causes discomfort among American buyers? We don't even know if it will be sold in USA in the first place. Are you afraid somehow a Lexus minivan will taint the brand's image?

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Just another taught. The Lexus mid-engine might make sense after all. the Le Mans car 2.4l hybrid system could be the LM300H. And maybe the MR2 is not returning as a Toyota but instead as a Lexus. If they give it enough luxury treatment and a mid engine set up I think it deserves the "L" badge.

LM vs Porsche mid engine coupe/new corvette mid engine car
LCF VS Merc GTR/Nissan GTR
RCF vs M4

As if you are saying that the LM is to be the Supra convertible but that is not the case as the top less Supra is the BMW Z4

I am guessing that Lexus only save letters nothing more

From what we can see Toyota/Lexus is so far quite a bit behind the curve in autonomous driving tech, so there's little reason to think that Lexus would trademark a dedicated autonomous model at such an early stage.

If the ML-Class is anything to go by, the letter "M" in LM should stand for multipurpose IMHO.

Believe me Sir, I feel even my GS-F is perfect in handling it needs a little more power

Last edited by a moderator:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Again, why do you guys insist a Luxury Minivan LM would sell in significant numbers in USA to the point it causes discomfort among American buyers? We don't even know if it will be sold in USA in the first place. Are you afraid somehow a Lexus minivan will taint the brand's image?

I believe this is exactly the case -- there is a real stigma to minivans in North America, and a Lexus minivan has the potential to bring back old ideas about the brand as boring rebadged Toyotas.

*Begin Conjecture*

BUT I also think introducing a minivan now is worth the short-term discomfort, because 10 years from now when all vehicles have the same electric powertrain and self-driving technology, there's going to be a huge demand for a luxury people hauler with easy access and room to spare.

*End Conjecture*

Believe it or not, someone in Japan already did it in an artwork sharing site back in 2013, with the exact title of... wait for it........... "Lexus LM350" (again this was back in 2013)!!! Check out the man who saw the future lol.
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=34739556
View attachment 2890

I love the Internet. 2013!

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I think the seats in the Vellfire might be better than what's in the LS and LC, based on that photo. That is seriously plush and lux looking!

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
R Class was sold longer in China (Asia?) if I recall correctly.
Yes. Mercedes-Benz subcontracted R-Class assembly to AM General (best known for producing the original Hummer H1) for export to China from 2015 through October 2017, when it was finally discontinued.

amoschen7

Fan
Reactions

I would counter ur point on Lexus autonomous driving development. In fact they are leading OEMs in terms of autonomous driving technology. The project dates long back when Google offered to co-develop autonomous driving tech with Toyota. But Toyota turned them off favoring its internal team. Now they have cumulated significant mileage on their LS test bed. If you look at the patent filing related to autonomous driving, Toyota ranked #3 just after Bosch and Continental. Not having news releases doesn’t mean they are behind. Even BMW and Mercedes internal R&D are respectful for Toyota in autonomous driving when I ask about their perspective.

amoschen7

Fan
Reactions
Have to say, this discussion is great. This type of mystery trademark is one of my favorite things about writing about Lexus.

As others have said, the L designation and the engine codes make no sense to me. I really like the idea of a van based on the Alphard -- have really strong feelings about the Vellfire variant.

View attachment 2888

Seriously, sign me up.

View attachment 2889

:heart_eyes:

Who wants to Photoshop the LX front end on that Vellfire?

Talking about PS... how do u like this:

Attachments

• 1CECC904-0D61-46DB-A825-F97F81CEAAA5.jpeg
    1CECC904-0D61-46DB-A825-F97F81CEAAA5.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 17

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I would counter ur point on Lexus autonomous driving development. In fact they are leading OEMs in terms of autonomous driving technology. The project dates long back when Google offered to co-develop autonomous driving tech with Toyota. But Toyota turned them off favoring its internal team. Now they have cumulated significant mileage on their LS test bed. If you look at the patent filing related to autonomous driving, Toyota ranked #3 just after Bosch and Continental. Not having news releases doesn’t mean they are behind. Even BMW and Mercedes internal R&D are respectful for Toyota in autonomous driving when I ask about their perspective.

Not lagging, yes. Leading, no. GM already has the most competent L2 system out there and VW has a L2.5 system (which they call L3), Lexus is still at L1 where everyone else is. The race to L4 is clearly in GM/Cruise's favor.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Not lagging, yes. Leading, no. GM already has the most competent L2 system out there and VW has a L2.5 system (which they call L3), Lexus is still at L1 where everyone else is. The race to L4 is clearly in GM/Cruise's favor.

It is very similar to EV discussion... in reality, VW sells several times less vehicles with autobrake systems than Toyota, even if they have more advanced system optional in A8 (not shipping yet too?)