Lexus Trademarks LM 350 & LM 300h Nameplates in USA

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
looks pretty coupeish to me... and engines tell you what it is and what it is not... both 350 and 300h tell us that it is vehicle similar to RX... but what could be different about it? It can only be more sporty.

profile_11.jpg

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
looks pretty coupeish to me... and engines tell you what it is and what it is not... both 350 and 300h tell us that it is vehicle similar to RX... but what could be different about it? It can only be more sporty.
Well it's the spoiler that makes it un-coupe-like, as it totally breaks the arched roof line that defines a coupe profile.
e71_LCI_2.jpg

merc%20glc%20coupe%20300%20side.jpg

In any case, I still hope that the "L" in the LM actually means flagship. If it's just something based on the FWD RX then it should not deserve the letter L.

Last edited:

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions
Hmmm, that did briefly cross my mind at one point but I never put it into my article. Perhaps the Lexus minivan Asian markets have been clamoring for?

Wouldn't a 300h be underpowered for this, though? A 450h perhaps better suited?

For the US market, yeah. The 300h powertrain would be considered underpowered for a vehicle that weighs over 2 tons empty.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Well it's the spoiler that makes it un-coupe-like, as it totally breaks the arched roof line that defines a coupe profile.
e71_LCI_2.jpg

In any case, I still hope that the "L" in the LM actually means flagship. If it's just something based on the FWD RX then it should not deserve the letter L.

I dont see much difference, especially withou that last window... also check GLE.

I dont see why something thats TNGA based cant be sporty, it certainly can.

And engines and designation tell you everything... 350 means it wont be in city car, 300h means it is not LQ/LF-1.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
For the US market, yeah. The 300h powertrain would be considered underpowered for a vehicle that weighs over 2 tons empty.

another thing to note is that we have Highlander coming with this engine too, so it will RX then... and so it will ... LM :)

When Toyota announced factory expansion for Highlander, they also expanded engine factory to handle 4cly hybrid for Highlander.............

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
I dont see much difference, especially withou that last window... also check GLE.

I dont see why something thats TNGA based cant be sporty, it certainly can.

And engines and designation tell you everything... 350 means it wont be in city car, 300h means it is not LQ/LF-1.
Both the X6 and the GLE have perfectly arched roof line, while the LF-1's roof line is interrupted by the spoiler and takes an abrupt downturn with a completely flat rear window. It simply does not look smooth like a coupe to me.

Of course TNGA-based cars can be sporty-ish as the ES F-sport has proven, but it is not fit for a flagship as the "L" in the name would have you believe. Lexus' "L" cars should be based on the GA-L, its real premium platform. It's all I'm saying.

The 300h nomenclature has been used in Lexus' sports-oriented cars such as the IS300h and the GS300h already, so having the 300h name in the LM does nothing to invalidate the possibility of it being a sports-oriented car.

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions
When Toyota announced factory expansion for Highlander, they also expanded engine factory to handle 4cly hybrid for Highlander.............

I hadn't heard about that, but after a little digging I found out that the Indiana factory is also where the Sequoia and Sienna are produced. If the LM is a minivan, it may share the factory with the Sienna, much like the ES is being built alongside its platform mates in Kentucky.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I hadn't heard about that, but after a little digging I found out that the Indiana factory is also where the Sequoia and Sienna are produced. If the LM is a minivan, it may share the factory with the Sienna, much like the ES is being built alongside its platform mates in Kentucky.

It is not going to be a minivan, since that has died with MB R, and it is not going to be produced with Sienna or in the US, because thats announced way ahead of the time (minimum 3-4 years), because manufacturers shop around for incentives package which is usually quite substantial 25%-35% of the investment.

In general, if you follow plant news, you will find pretty much everything new thats happening in next 3 years in western world at least... Here is engine capacity expansion news:
https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/toyota-announces-106-million-investment-huntsville-engine-plant/

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
Be it a city car or a minivan I think Lexus would be seriously risking rendering the letter L in their nomenclature meaningless if they decide to put it in a class no one in the US would associate luxury with. It'll be like Infiniti's Q, which used to mean flagship, but is now utterly meaningless and a waste of a letter. I hope Lexus still has the sanity not to proceed with the abuse of the letter L if it is to really make a minivan or a city car.

At this point I'd rather dream that the letter M stands for mid-ship and is to become Lexus' reincarnation of the MR2.
Oh man, I love that idea! An MR2 for the affluent. Now that I could really get behind!

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Toyota minivans bound for the Asian markets have always been of the thin and tall type, e.g. the Previa and the Alphard, due to the much narrower streets and alleys everywhere in those markets. The fact that the new trademarks were filed in the USA should mean that the LM is more likely tailored to the American market and to be based on the new Sienna, which itself is also long overdue.

Hopefully it will at least fare better than the R-Class.

I drove The Alphard to Tokyo just few weeks ago with my colleagues at work. It's a really nice Van very spacious and luxurious in it's own way. the sound system in it is very good to with some ambient lights running across the roof. if that's what the LM is it wont be a bad Idea.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Just another taught. The Lexus mid-engine might make sense after all. the Le Mans car 2.4l hybrid system could be the LM300H. And maybe the MR2 is not returning as a Toyota but instead as a Lexus. If they give it enough luxury treatment and a mid engine set up I think it deserves the "L" badge.

LM vs Porsche mid engine coupe/new corvette mid engine car
LCF VS Merc GTR/Nissan GTR
RCF vs M4

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Just another taught. The Lexus mid-engine might make sense after all. the Le Mans car 2.4l hybrid system could be the LM300H. And maybe the MR2 is not returning as a Toyota but instead as a Lexus. If they give it enough luxury treatment and a mid engine set up I think it deserves the "L" badge.

LM vs Porsche mid engine coupe/new corvette mid engine car
LCF VS Merc GTR/Nissan GTR
RCF vs M4
The last time we heard about Toyota doing anything to the MR2 they turned it into this little beast with a 3.5L V6 AWD hybrid powertrain during the 24 Hours of Nürburgring endurance race in 2011:
http://www.motortrend.com/news/new-mr2-toyota-grmn-sports-hybrid-concept-ii-to-hit-the-ring-89475/
1020163.jpg

1020164.jpg

Let's hope (more like wish) Lexus can give the Boxster/Cayman a run for their money with the LM.:cool:

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Why some believe a Lexus minivan must be based on the Sienna? Why build it in a country that's not the main market? It is much, much more likely it will be based on the Alphard. And why some believe they will sell a Lexus minivan in US (and fail) just because of a trademark? Ever heard of defensive trademarking?

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Why some believe a Lexus minivan must be based on the Sienna? Why build it in a country that's not the main market? It is much, much more likely it will be based on the Alphard. And why some believe they will sell a Lexus minivan in US (and fail) just because of a trademark? Ever heard of defensive trademarking?
By your logic we should see trademarks of the Lexus GX registered everywhere in the world just to be "defensive". But the reality is that you'll find the GX trademark registered only in North America, where it's sold.

I believe that if the LM is to actually go on sale, it will be sold where its trademark is registered, although not necessarily with all the engine variations that are registered.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
By your logic we should see trademarks of the Lexus GX registered everywhere in the world just to be "defensive". But the reality is that you'll find the GX trademark registered only in North America, where it's sold.

I believe that if the LM is to actually go on sale, it will be sold where its trademark is registered, although not necessarily with all the engine variations that are registered.

I don't see how you concluded my logic in the way you described.

Anyway I don't find it necessary to read too much into this message, knowing how secretive Lexus has always been. After all nothing happened to the TX.

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
I don't see how you concluded my logic in the way you described.

Anyway I don't find it necessary to read too much into this message, knowing how secretive Lexus has always been. After all nothing happened to the TX.
The difference with the TX is that Lexus never bothered to register the TX with any specific engine displacement numbers, so it was a lot less committal than the LM350 and LM300h are this time.

And my prior point above is that Lexus never registers a trademark for a production vehicle in a market where it isn't sold. So if Lexus registers the LM in the US and the LM does end up going into production, then the US will be one of the markets where the LM is sold. And therefore the likelihood of the LM being a Lexus Alphard is extremely low IMHO.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
But does a van deserve the 'L' letter? L is supposed to be a flagship, and thus somehow exclusive. Like ES < LS, GX < LX, and < LQ because CUV/SUV. And even if vans have their role, I do not see them being flagships in anyway, they are more luxury utility vehicles, thinking of the V Class. A Lexus pickup would also be under powered with such engines.

On the other hand, I like the idea of, and it is plausible for the MR2 to become a Lexus, for the simple reason that it is tough to sell sportscars without badge. 350 and 300h should be enough for a light weight Mid-rear engine sportscar, like the 718, Alpine A110 and Alfa 4C.

Does anyone think Lexus will name all their cars Lx for example like Audi Ax? That does not make sense to me.

mwyf

Founding Member
Reactions
For those of you who think that LQ relates to any Lexus product, I would strongly advise thinking twice before jumping to conclusions. I posted a long spiel some time ago explaining Toyota's practice of applying for trademarks. Just because something looks vaguely suspicious, does not mean that it necessarily points to any exciting new product. Toyota has not trademarked just the letters for any Lexus lines since quite a a while ago. Even the "CT' mark from 2014 is dead. The most recent brand new model, the UX, was never trademarked as just "UX". "UX200" and "UX250h" are trademarked.

Toyota is a business of making, marketing and selling cars. It also provides financial services to customers. Any trademark can be used for any range of purposes within the Toyota Corporation.

Yes, while "LQ" may possibly eventuate as a Lexus model, I dare say it is very unlikely. And if I'm wrong in the future, remind me, and I'll admit my error. For now though, "LM" does not, did not, has not, and will not, strike me.

LM350 and LM300h, though, is very interesting. Many you fellow fans out there think it could be a Minivan/Multipurpose Vehicle. I for one, cannot put forward a better suggestion other than "Mover" (as in Luxury Mover"). I was also thinking whether (if it does turn out to be a minivan) it could be based on the Toyota Alphard and/or Sienna.

For your interest, "LM350" and "LM300h" have been registered in USA and the Philippines. screencapture-tmdn-org-tmview-welcome-2018-06-19-21_25_57.png screencapture-tmdn-org-tmview-welcome-2018-06-19-21_25_38.png

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
For those of you who think that LQ relates to any Lexus product, I would strongly advise thinking twice before jumping to conclusions. I posted a long spiel some time ago explaining Toyota's practice of applying for trademarks. Just because something looks vaguely suspicious, does not mean that it necessarily points to any exciting new product. Toyota has not trademarked just the letters for any Lexus lines since quite a a while ago. Even the "CT' mark from 2014 is dead. The most recent brand new model, the UX, was never trademarked as just "UX". "UX200" and "UX250h" are trademarked.

Toyota is a business of making, marketing and selling cars. It also provides financial services to customers. Any trademark can be used for any range of purposes within the Toyota Corporation.

Yes, while "LQ" may possibly eventuate as a Lexus model, I dare say it is very unlikely. And if I'm wrong in the future, remind me, and I'll admit my error. For now though, "LM" does not, did not, has not, and will not, strike me.
Good point. It just crossed my mind that the LQ trademark was filed without any specific displacement numbers either, just like the TX. This means that the name LQ was most likely temporary and that the LM350 and the LM300h are the actual final model names of the production version of the LF-1. I think the name LQ was dropped simply because Infiniti has a stranglehold on the letter Q lol.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
By my count, here's a list of the Lexus-centric trademarks that Toyota has filed in the U.S. that have died unused (I may have missed some). Note that they are a mix of letters-only and letters-plus-numbers badges.

VX
JX
TX
CT 300h
CT 400h
IS 300C (this was used in a number of Asia and Middle East markets, however)
RX 440h
LX 520
LX 550
LX 590
LX 600
JX 470

And, naturally, the jury's still out on the newest Lexus-apparent trademarks that have yet to see a production application (UX 250, LQ, LM 300h and LM 350).