Lexus to Cancel CT in Favor of Sub-Compact Crossover?

D

DDas

What a shame but not unexpected. I could see a Lexus IS hatch/Sportcross taking over its place in the 4th generation. The issue I do have is that Lexus is rumored to cancel the CT (just confirmed), GS, and GX. Let's be real: that's quite a bit (even though its only three) for a brand to just kill off like that. Okay, yes, the RX-L/RXL/RXl (lowercase "L") will replace the GX, the ES will take over the GS, and if my prediction for the CT is right, then that will be filled as well, but still ... I don't know - correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions
I don't think the LEXUS CT will be renewed. It shares the same platform as the SCION tC, and the tC is going "bye-bye" as a final 2017 model as well if I remember correctly, with the death of SCION. Both are built on the old platform, so for cost reasons I don't see TOYOTA/LEXUS continuing the CT as it might not be "Cost Effective" since neither are on the newer TNGA and GA-L platforms that they are switching to.

My prediction one year ago, it's close enough. Sad to see the CT go, but the UX falls under that crossover category, and those are all the craze in America, so I understand why they chose to axe the CT. Toyota and Lexus will seemingly always limit their total number of cars, because they don't want to have diverse offerings to everyone, just whatever sells the most and costs them less I guess.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
What a shame. When the 1ES came out, the ES 250 there really wasn't much to say. Lexus soon came out with the 2 ES, the ES 300 and improved on it. Same thing with the 1GS and 1IS. There is always improvements in the next generation. I personally think Lexus should bring a 2CT with lots of improvements and it should be a hit, expand the CT (CT 200h/300h/200t) line as well. The CT and UX can coexist.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I was hoping for a 2nd gen that was improved. Obviously the CT has a nice niche here in the states and clearly abroad.... Not everyone wants a SUV if the UX is the "replacement"...

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
Krew, how about Canadian market? Do Canadian have the new CT?

I know usually, Canada follows what US is selling...

I doubt it. This year's Lexus display at the Canadian International Auto Show had not one CT on display. Having bought two, I am in mourning.