JustADude

Follower
Reactions
3 cylinder engine can be half an inline 6 cylinder engine, but an inline 6 cylinder engine cannot always a double 3 cylinder engine.
True. I should be saying that 650hp isn't stock, but can be tuned that highly in the aftermarket is what I was saying.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
3 cylinder engine can be half an inline 6 cylinder engine, but an inline 6 cylinder engine cannot always a double 3 cylinder engine.
Inline-6 tends to be more than double inline-3 because it has better inherent balance. Better balance = less stress = more power potential. Inline-3 often has the least specific power potential while I6 and V8 have the most.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I'm really confused by BestCar's latest report that LF1 is coming next fall as well as the B-segment subcompact SUV, but does not mention TX or GX at all. They also expect LCP next year which contradicts some other rumors that 4Runnee is severely delayed.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
They're prob reporting that based on old reports. Remember.. best carc can be wildly and unexpectedly accurate, like in the case of reporting that 4 Crown types are coming, but only 50% of the time they are correct

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I'm really confused by BestCar's latest report that LF1 is coming next fall as well as the B-segment subcompact SUV, but does not mention TX or GX at all. They also expect LCP next year which contradicts some other rumors that 4Runnee is severely delayed.
Could the 4R be decoupled from yester years traditional launch pattern?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The people talking about severe 4Runner/GX delays are wrong 😊

… but then again, so is the talk about the LF1. Maybe BestCar is losing touch…

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Just have to wait a few more days for its debut, not sure if we'll see an engine that's as impressive as its interior lol.
The 1.5 and 1.5 hybrid are perfectly fine for the markets it's sold in...try driving on a typical Southeast Asian street and you'd be lucky to get above 50km/h.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
The 1.5 and 1.5 hybrid are perfectly fine for the markets it's sold in...try driving on a typical Southeast Asian street and you'd be lucky to get above 50km/h.
What I meant was the new Vios might still reuse the slightly disappointing 2NR-FE instead of switching over to the M15A-FKS.

But then the rumours I heard from Thailand said there will be a hybrid version for this new Vios and that version would actually be using the M15A hybrid. It's confusing.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
What I meant was the new Vios might still reuse the slightly disappointing 2NR-FE instead of switching over to the M15A-FKS.

But then the rumours I heard from Thailand said there will be a hybrid version for this new Vios and that version would actually be using the M15A hybrid. It's confusing.
Thailand has lower excise tax rates for "eco cars" under 1300cc. In India the line is 1200cc. I don't think the base Vios will use the 1500cc 2NR but rather the 1200cc 3NR-FE. 1200cc is the sweetspot for most of SEA.

I don't know if they will switch to the cheaper 3-cylinder WA-VE engine from Daihatsu, but it's a rather new engine and it will require investing in new production infrastructure.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Thailand has lower excise tax rates for "eco cars" under 1300cc. In India the line is 1200cc. I don't think the base Vios will use the 1500cc 2NR but rather the 1200cc 3NR-FE. 1200cc is the sweetspot for most of SEA.

I don't know if they will switch to the cheaper 3-cylinder WA-VE engine from Daihatsu, but it's a rather new engine and it will require investing in new production infrastructure.
Yeah, the very base Vios will most likely still use a 1.2l engine in Thailand, just not sure which one. So far, only the base model Rocky and Raize in Indonesia is using the WA-VE engine. Recently saw a video on Instagram showing the workers at the Vios' assembly line in Indonesia, holding letters that say "SAYONARA VIOS", probably a sign that they are stopping production of the current gen and getting ready to start the new one. In Malaysia, the Vios has always only been available with a 1.5l engine, so I'm not familiar with the very base engine options available in other SEA countries. We also usually don't drive as slowly as some other SEA countries.

They might just carryover the NR engines for the petrol-only versions and you would have to buy the hybrid version to get a DF powertrain.

larryren

Follower
Reactions
Greeting! here some news from China.
1. GAC Toyota Engine's WeChat account have post a the factory leaderships speech article for they worker skill competition. The local production line of NR series engine in GTE will discontinue next year. Foreshadowing GAC-Toyota will discontinue the Yaris L at the same time. But unclear Tianjin's FAW Toyota Engine will follow the southern partner shutdown the whole series engine production or will keeping producting 9NR 1.2T using for Corolla and Levin.
(BTW: 4/5NR made by TFTE, 6/7NR is made by GTE, bothside are 1.3/1.5L NA version using in XP150 series Vios/Yaris L twins in China)

2. The S20A with ChDM Highlander/Crown Kluger WLTC fuel consumption are post it in Chinese MIIT Equipment Industry Development Center's website.
As screenshot said S20A is had 8.74L/100km with WLTC test combine the RDE. (convert it 26.9US MPG or 11.44km/L) compare with last gen 2.0T 8AR less 1.2L/100km in same test rules. GAC-Toyota comfirm the "380T Highlander" debut in 10 Aug. local time.

QQ图片20220808235854.pngQQ图片20220808235900.png

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
1. GAC Toyota Engine's WeChat account have post a the factory leaderships speech article for they worker skill competition. The local production line of NR series engine in GTE will discontinue next year. Foreshadowing GAC-Toyota will discontinue the Yaris L at the same time. But unclear Tianjin's FAW Toyota Engine will follow the southern partner shutdown the whole series engine production or will keeping producting 9NR 1.2T using for Corolla and Levin.
(BTW: 4/5NR made by TFTE, 6/7NR is made by GTE, bothside are 1.3/1.5L NA version using in XP150 series Vios/Yaris L twins in China)

2. The S20A with ChDM Highlander/Crown Kluger WLTC fuel consumption are post it in Chinese MIIT Equipment Industry Development Center's website.
As screenshot said S20A is had 8.74L/100km with WLTC test combine the RDE. (convert it 26.9US MPG or 11.44km/L) compare with last gen 2.0T 8AR less 1.2L/100km in same test rules. GAC-Toyota comfirm the "380T Highlander" debut in 10 Aug. local time.

View attachment 6216View attachment 6217
That could be because of the detuned 8ar maybe

larryren

Follower
Reactions
That could be because of the detuned 8ar maybe
I have check the 20inch wheel high trim Lexus RX300 in Lexus China website (high tuned 8AR and 4WD). it show 9.48L/100km.
Gen.3 and Gen.4 Highlander 2.0T are also 4WD trim.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

View attachment 6216View attachment 6217
Is the S20A a China only engine? Would be nice if it is available in other markets that heavily tax cars with engine that are bigger than 2.0L.

larryren

Follower
Reactions
Is the S20A a China only engine? Would be nice if it is available in other markets that heavily tax cars with engine that are bigger than 2.0L.
Temporary "YES".
Because no more info or rumor say S20A will fit more vehicle except ChDM Highlander twins now. I guess it will fitting next Gen. Camry/RAV4? or making a performance version engine or pair with THS like they license GAC make more powerful mid-range hybrid system instead A25 Series.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
GAC said this engine is imported so it's made in Japan. It only makes sense to put this engine in some international market products. TMC's insistence on natural aspiration makes them uncompetitive tax-wise in many markets.