ssun30

Expert
Reactions
BestCar is reporting SSB in limited production BEV sports cars as early as 2026. I am skeptical as that's only 1 year after rumored SSB launch on hybrids in 2025.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Blue Nexus updated the "Single Speed Small" motor output from 90kW to 120kW. Peak wheel torque remained the same. The previous output level is too weak for a "small" EV that weighs 1400-1500kg.
chart_01.png

Also the BestCar rumor that IS EV will have a torque-vectoring rear motor seems plausible. The long cylindrical design shown on the Blue Nexus website looks very similar to the twin-motor torque-vectoring Taycan/eTron GT unit. My guess is either 80kWx2 (160kW) or 120kWx2 (240kW). So the top-line IS EV's output could be between 280kW/375hp (120+80x2) and 390kW/520hp (150+120x2). Knowing Toyota, I think 280kW is the safer bet.
img_05.pngmotorschematicsdual_2s.jpg

Will1991

Reactions
@ssun30 that high performance motor is only a 1-motor setup:

image.png

It's longer due to, similar to Taycan, having a 2-speed gearbox.

This current generation motors will be the norm until 2025, when the 2nd generation comes up:

image.png

If this is true, the IS showing up by 2025 signals it's going to have the 2nd generation motors.

We also see that this new "Single Speed Small" will go into production next year, maybe a compact/city car (Yaris sized BEV)?

With this picture above and something Lexus said in the past, that "Large Premium" is 800V system.

Will1991

Reactions
Those pictures are from Aisin Website, the reference about the 800V is from a interview (but I’m not recalling which one)

Also, we know from the BZ4X presentation that TMC is looking for a 30% energy efficiency improvement for next generation motors.
That, a better aerodynamics and lower weight should be enough to make the IS having a 600~700km range with the same battery pack found on the RZ450e.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Those pictures are from Aisin Website, the reference about the 800V is from a interview (but I’m not recalling which one)

Also, we know from the BZ4X presentation that TMC is looking for a 30% energy efficiency improvement for next generation motors.
That, a better aerodynamics and lower weight should be enough to make the IS having a 600~700km range with the same battery pack found on the RZ450e.

keep in mind that 30% efficiency from next generation motors does not mean 30% more efficient vehicle.

Another annoying thing, in tests by pretty much everyone, BZ4X is not the most efficient per mile BEV in its size class. So next gen would be still catching up to where competition is today.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
keep in mind that 30% efficiency from next generation motors does not mean 30% more efficient vehicle.

Another annoying thing, in tests by pretty much everyone, BZ4X is not the most efficient per mile BEV in its size class. So next gen would be still catching up to where competition is today.

BZ4X is pretty forgetable vehicle in every way except in interior utility. Unless you really need BEV I think RAV4 Prime is hell a lot better deal.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
What do you guys think could be in the GR GT3 car? I think this car could be a Lexus but who knows. The current G16E-GTS is tuned for very high performance and racing, so Toyota could make an inline 6 based off that 3 cylinder for the GT3 car. We see that the G16E can handle 450hp+ easily with some simple mods like changing gaskets and boost pressure, so we can easily see 650hp+ in the road car but less in the GT3 since I think 600hp is max power allowed. Also, this could very well be the supercar that rumors are saying Lexus is developing. Just my thoughts.

Kelvin2020

Follower
Reactions
I think the GR GT3 concept is the LFAII, and the overall design looks like a Lexus, especially the rear end. I still wonder why they choose the GR nameplate; maybe it’s because GR is helping Lexus to develop this car?

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
I think the GR GT3 concept is the LFAII, and the overall design looks like a Lexus, especially the rear end. I still wonder why they choose the GR nameplate; maybe it’s because GR is helping Lexus to develop this car?
I think so too. Maybe they want people to think it'll be a Toyota but will debut as a Lexus.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
What do you guys think could be in the GR GT3 car? I think this car could be a Lexus but who knows. The current G16E-GTS is tuned for very high performance and racing, so Toyota could make an inline 6 based off that 3 cylinder for the GT3 car. We see that the G16E can handle 450hp+ easily with some simple mods like changing gaskets and boost pressure, so we can easily see 650hp+ in the road car but less in the GT3 since I think 600hp is max power allowed. Also, this could very well be the supercar that rumors are saying Lexus is developing. Just my thoughts.
3 cylinder engine can be half an inline 6 cylinder engine, but an inline 6 cylinder engine cannot always a double 3 cylinder engine.