Lexus Discontinues GS Sedan in Europe

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
Hm, the GS-F is still available in Germany. If you are dead serious about buying it, well, drop me a short note. Pretty sure I can help connecting you with the right people.
Thanks. I will test drive the LC500 Friday. The GS is second on my list in case the LC will not work out. If I can get a GSF, rather than the 450h, then I am all for it. I will know more in a week, but was initially quite disheartened by how rare/unattainable these cars apparently are.

Reactions
ATTACH=full]3086[/ATTACH]
I think we actually do have a good idea about the scalability of GA-L and its closely-related TNGA-N counterpart from the latest Toyota Crown. I've posted about this a couple of times on these forums, but I'll repeat it here. GA-L is currently available on two different wheelbase lengths: 2870 mm (113") for Lexus LC and 3125 mm (123") for Lexus LS. The TNGA-N Crown rides on a 2920 mm (115") wheelbase. That 50mm (2") difference in wheelbase between LC and Crown is coincidentally (or not?) the spread between the current IS and GS wheelbase.

If the next IS sits on a 2920 mm (115") wheelbase like the Crown, it becomes something of a de facto GS replacement. (Bear in mind that GS and Crown have, for the most part, shared wheelbases and even platforms). If, on the other hand 4IS uses the LC's shorter 2870 mm (113") wheelbase, then it stays truer to its shorter, more agile and tossable roots at the expense of rear legroom.

Further muddying the waters and throwing comparisons for a loop, the latest GA-K Lexus ES (and its Toyota Avalon counterpart) sit on a 2870 mm (113") wheelbase that matches the shortest iteration of the RWD GA-L. The GA-K FWD-centric platform, naturally, allows for a much roomier interior given its transverse engine placement. GA-L, by comparison, places its longitudinal engine back in a pseudo-front-mid-engine position. Great for balance, handling and agility, not so much for optimum interior room.

It'll be very interesting to see how Lexus manages the IS vs ES conundrum going forward.

The only trick I find with understanding the latest GA-L platforms used in LC, 5LS, 2018-24 Crown and 2020-27 4IS is that GA-L seems to be a front mid-engine platform, such that virtually all of the new found wheelbase is used to house the engine behind the front axle for a nearer 50/50 weight distribution, with little wheelbase remaining to contribute to a longer interior cabin.
Note the distance between the leading edge of the front doors and the front axle?
That's why the new 5LS has such a long wheelbase, without the translation into interior cabin length.
The new front mid-engine GA-L chassis certainly has great dynamics, but how practical is the new GA-L for interior space?

In the four pics below, it's not the wheelbase that differs that much.
It is the cabin length and the leading edge of the front door that really differs.
The ES's engine is obviously in front of the front axle with copious cabin length, as opposed to being behind the front axle for compromised cabin length.

Thus, if 4IS continues with GA-L and a longer than ever wheelbase - don't hold your breath for a longer cabin length with greater rear leg room...

10.0.jpg

ar_305019998_e4201fbbd198e5cc2d03a6adc5ba06132b533e7a.jpg

2018-05-10 (3).png

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
^^ Execution wise the GS was never about a ton of room. Its tidy dimensions always meant it wouldn't be that spacious. The GS has remained about 190 inches long which is barely one inch longer than the 2nd gen from 1998-2005 and actually over 4 inches shorter than the first generation. The wheelbase did grow later in life.

The ES based on the Avalon the last two generations has always been a roomier car, that is one of its key selling points at its price point. No one bought a GS for room.

In comparison the 5 series and E class etc all grew substantially each generation where they are pretty much the size of an older SWB 7 or S class. I am really unsure why Lexus chose to keep the GS so tidy when everything else (A6, CTS etc) grew much larger.

Ironically the GS being arguably the best driving in class makes you realize the masses don't care as much as the internet wants us to believe.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Ironically the GS being arguably the best driving in class makes you realize the masses don't care as much as the internet wants us to believe.

indeed... F10 never had problem selling with piggy driving characteristics and bad brakes. And despite internet talking about options like M5 and 335i, majority of them sold around world are 520i and 520d, that are certainly at least not better than GS350 and GS300h.

And then we come to the important question - why would Lexus do another GS in dying sedan market, that cares about room and comfort and not sporty driving? It makes little sense.

Cheaper version of LF-1 makes a lot more sense.

Reactions
^^ Execution wise the GS was never about a ton of room. Its tidy dimensions always meant it wouldn't be that spacious. The GS has remained about 190 inches long which is barely one inch longer than the 2nd gen from 1998-2005 and actually over 4 inches shorter than the first generation. The wheelbase did grow later in life.

The ES based on the Avalon the last two generations has always been a roomier car, that is one of its key selling points at its price point. No one bought a GS for room.

In comparison the 5 series and E class etc all grew substantially each generation where they are pretty much the size of an older SWB 7 or S class. I am really unsure why Lexus chose to keep the GS so tidy when everything else (A6, CTS etc) grew much larger.

Yes, the GS was never about a ton of room.
The GS was more about grand sports.

I never sat in the 1GS, however the 1998-05 2GS actually had more rear legroom than my 2005-12 3GS - probably because the 3GS had thick air conditioned front seat backrests.
My 2012-19 4GS seems to have even less rear legroom again - once again, maybe the air conditioned front seat back rests are even thicker again.
2nd gen to 4th gen GS's seem to have about the same cabin length.

The 1989-92 1ES was a compact sedan.
The 1992-96 2ES and my 1992-96 3ES actually had a shorter cabin with less rear leg room than the GS of the same period in time.
It was only about 2006-12 5ES when the ES's cabin became much longer, and in particular the stretched wheelbase 2012-18 6ES.

Traditionally GS has very closely followed the Toyota Crown wheelbase - I suspect because the Crown is a Japanese Domestic Market product that wants those particular dimension - in the same way as Toyota retaining the intermediate IS to GS size of the Toyota Mark X Series.

indeed... F10 never had problem selling with piggy driving characteristics and bad brakes. And despite internet talking about options like M5 and 335i, majority of them sold around world are 520i and 520d, that are certainly at least not better than GS350 and GS300h.

And then we come to the important question - why would Lexus do another GS in dying sedan market, that cares about room and comfort and not sporty driving? It makes little sense.

The majority of midsize luxury Germans selling around the world is certainly 2.0L 4 cylinder turbos etc, but the GS is now the same with the GS200t/GS300.

I don't know about Europe, but the luxury sedans still sell reasonably well in the USA with the:
2009-16 E Class raising its peak annual sales to 69k/year from the older 2002-09 E Class peak of only 50k/year.
Likewise, the 2010-17 5 Series raised its annual peak sales to 60k/year from the older 2003-10 5 Series peak of only 56k/year.

The 2012-19 4GS peak sales of only 22k/year fell significantly relative to the 2005-12 3GS's peak of 33k/year - this probably only occurred because the 4GS was much more deliberately sporty than the soft riding 3GS.
It's an even more prominent sales reaction with the all new 5LS sedan, probably because full size sedans are more expensive with generally older hence more conservative buyers.
Only Toyota Motor Corporation and President Akio can decide whether they design the IS/GS/LS to meet their own personal sporty tastes, or the sporty tastes according to their marketing homework - or they want to fulfil the tastes of the market, to sell in much more populous numbers.

According to the laws of physics, SUV tall wagons with large rolling diameter tires for higher ground clearance have heavier "unsprung" mass, such that on impact with a bump, the momentum will be much higher - resulting in a bouncier ride; the heavier the unsprung mass relative to the sprung mass, the bouncier the ride.
The SUV tall wagons also have a higher center of gravity for more pitching and rolling.
Meanwhile the taller height has more wind resistance for higher wind noise levels, and combined with the extra weight and optional 4WD, there is less fuel efficiency.
However SUV tall wagons do have much greater vertical cabin height, higher seating position and higher ground clearance etc.

Just like: acreage/suburban/hi rise living, Canon/Nikon/Sony, PC/Apple, Android/iPhone, gasoline vs diesels, atmospheric vs turbos, hybrid vs plug in, gasoline vs electric etc - low coupes vs medium height sedans vs tall SUV wagons - each format has its advantages/disadvantages and pros/cons; all up to the individual to choose what best suits their needs, wants and tastes.

Last edited:

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions

F10 is not better than GS I can sign off that anytime. GS drives better, looks better imo, has better interior execution and hands down feels a lot more premium when compared your usual run of the mill 525 or 530. But that's it for Lexus. Interior technology they had in GS back then is pretty much what they have today while new 5er has leapfrogged the whole Lexus lineup when it comes to interior stuff.

wyvern

Fan
Reactions
ATTACH=full]3086[/ATTACH]

The only trick I find with understanding the latest GA-L platforms used in LC, 5LS, 2018-24 Crown and 2020-27 4IS is that GA-L seems to be a front mid-engine platform, such that virtually all of the new found wheelbase is used to house the engine behind the front axle for a nearer 50/50 weight distribution, with little wheelbase remaining to contribute to a longer interior cabin.
Note the distance between the leading edge of the front doors and the front axle?
That's why the new 5LS has such a long wheelbase, without the translation into interior cabin length.
The new front mid-engine GA-L chassis certainly has great dynamics, but how practical is the new GA-L for interior space?

In the four pics below, it's not the wheelbase that differs that much.
It is the cabin length and the leading edge of the front door that really differs.
The ES's engine is obviously in front of the front axle with copious cabin length, as opposed to being behind the front axle for compromised cabin length.

Thus, if 4IS continues with GA-L and a longer than ever wheelbase - don't hold your breath for a longer cabin length with greater rear leg room...

View attachment 3084

View attachment 3085

View attachment 3087

I sat in a few of the new Toyota Crowns and while there is a lot to like about them I was not particularly impressed with the rear seat leg room.

Reactions
I sat in a few of the new Toyota Crowns and while there is a lot to like about them I was not particularly impressed with the rear seat leg room.

Is it smaller than the old model, or the same?
Because I find the new low slung Camry actually smaller than the old model.

wyvern

Fan
Reactions
Is it smaller than the old model, or the same?
Because I find the new low slung Camry actually smaller than the old model.

I would say the leg room was about the same as the old one, although the sloping roofline was getting a bit close to the back of my head compared to the more square roof in the older one. The room in the back was acceptable but not really impressive.