Lexus Announces Semi-Autonomous Safety Features for New LS Sedan

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
One thing Lexus has never quite understood - or been good at - is the fact that you only have one chance to make a first impression. After any model makes its initial debut, the rest is really just back page news.

However, Lexus does the following:

- First debuts standard model
- Then debuts hybrid model
- Then debuts F Sport model
- Then allows for trickle out of other information, slowly
- Then debuts F model

In a sense, I know why they do this: to have something new to talk about. However, imagine if Lexus launched the LS 500, LS 500h, LS F Sport, LS F and outlined all of the semi autonomous tech, safety innovations, quality improvements, manufacturing process at the same time. The headlines would have been, "1989 all over again" or "After 10 years, Lexus delivers the LS we've been waiting for."

Instead, we got, "Lexus LS Drops V8 for Turbo 6."

This is no fault of the car - it's all mismanagement by Lexus PR/Marketing. Shame.

it is not possible to reveal all the features at the same time... even this autonomous press release lists too many things at the same time for people to really understand it. If they revealed everything at the same time, it would be a book and nobody would read it.

once previews come, all of it will be talked about again and mentioned again by media, same as reviews.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
How do you figure? This is what the competitors do - create a big splash all at once instead of a "drip" campaign.

i figured it same way i wrote, if they published everything in single PR, it would have 20 pages and nobody would read it. Most details would be glossed over.

Sure, you like lexus and you want to know everything now but that makes little sense and car is not launching that soon. By the time car launches, you will know everything + previews will tell us everything else.

When it comes to autonomous features, they need to be stressed our independently as they said, most of the features will come to every Lexus and many Toyota models next year.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I don't think separating it made a big splash either. There is no buzz currently. Maybe they tried to do it differently this time to see the effect.

The vehicle is still quite a bit away which doesn't help with buzz.

We also have to take into account this move to Texas is really REALLY challenging right now.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-07-11-lexus-ls-safety-tech.jpg

New Lexus LS to feature safety systems that ensure drivers are paying attention.
View the original article post

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
OoOoOo AAaaaaaH.... all the tech bits and AI driving. Where the hell is my Apple CarPlay? Yawp, says a lot much.

Reactions: Dan

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
Really look forward to seeing this kind of semi-autonomous features appear in more Lexus models down the road. The blue certainly has caught my attention before reading the title.

Thanks Krew for sharing the video. Lots of tech.. it makes head up display more useful than before. I like the timing when the system takes the action. The intervention would not come too early while trusting the driver's judgement.

Reactions
I dont see what all the ooh'ing and aah'ing is all about?!? That blue is nothing special. All car makers have that colour, but under a different name of course.
Cool seeing the car in motion. Not really sure what I think of the design.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
Yes. The color is nothing special and seen before. The new LS just looks pretty damn great in it. That's what people are commenting on.

Alshamsi

Fan
Reactions
That is indeed a very nice use of the HUD ! And boy that color really fits the car !!
but to be honest the fact that Lexus had the ability to do all that but cant make a new infotainment system is really sad.