Lexus Announces Semi-Autonomous Safety Features for New LS Sedan

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
More than just Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, I saw a new concept by Google that integrates Android into the whole vehicle, not just the infotainment system. So it controls the whole car, with Google Assistant to voice control everything, and OEMs can modify it to their needs. A lot better IMO than anything on the market since the rest of the car is consistent with the infotainment, and Android User Interface is a lot cleaner and simpler than most OEM UIs. An Android Phone isn't needed as it is the "operating system" of the car.

http://business.financialpost.com/t...ures/wcm/1275b063-e5c1-44ce-bcec-2b1a454f78a0

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
hahaha. very soon there would be an android package and IOS package for cars.

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
Hans Grimmel? Any way he said he was extremely impressed with the autobots feature. I want to know more about it and what makes it so impressive compared to others. #Curious

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
More than just Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, I saw a new concept by Google that integrates Android into the whole vehicle, not just the infotainment system. So it controls the whole car, with Google Assistant to voice control everything, and OEMs can modify it to their needs.

I'd want there to be very good barriers between this and any actual car control (steering, brakes, acceleration, engine start/stop, etc). Android's big selling point other than being free is that it's trivially "rootable", at which point even modestly skilled people can (and regularly do) make the device do whatever they want.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-08-09-lexus-ls-safety-system.jpg

Nine new videos showing off the new Lexus safety systems.
View the original article post

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
The front sensing pedestrian is cool though in real world situations, pedestrians typically try to measure out the oncoming cars and try to get out of the way by sensing the speed and distance left to travel. Now all of a sudden a car is assuming pedestrians are staying still? Or the car detects the direction of the pedestrian and swerves to the opposite side? What if there are a line of people? Where would it swerve to?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The front sensing pedestrian is cool though in real world situations, pedestrians typically try to measure out the oncoming cars and try to get out of the way by sensing the speed and distance left to travel. Now all of a sudden a car is assuming pedestrians are staying still? Or the car detects the direction of the pedestrian and swerves to the opposite side? What if there are a line of people? Where would it swerve to?

this is why they are putting big gpu's inside cars to compute all the possibilities.