Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The infotainment system is updated all the time - how old is your IS? The version in the new LS500 is substantially improved from even 3 years ago.

Reactions
It's a 15. But.... In comparison to others in the market the current Enform platform seems behind honestly. In it's feel and offerings.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The 2015 version was not great. The new one in e.g. the LS500 is quite a bit more modern looking. The default map view is a nice 3D projection, and the frame rate on updates is much faster. Operating the audio is also a lot nicer on the new system. There's a handy drop-down menu of sources, and changing inputs and SXM channels goes faster too. I just wish it was a touch screen.

Reactions
I know right! What is the deal with that. It's a hassle some times to use it. That has change. The crazy party is that I drove a 13 convertible that had touch screen... Why not give them all touch... Do frustrating sometimes.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
What's frustrating is that Lexus had standardized on a touch screen waaaay back in the early 2000s, but it was a crappy slow-responding touch screen (as a lot of them were pre-iPhone) so they started trying out all the weird controllers around 2007 or so. If they'd stayed with the touch screen and sourced a better one I think everyone would have a lot fewer complaints.

Reactions
Agreed. There is no sense in fighting the current. Everyone is looking for a Android or apple like platform that integrates well with personal and home days devices seamlessly. I love Lexus but not until they change this will a purchase another one...

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
What's frustrating is that Lexus had standardized on a touch screen waaaay back in the early 2000s, but it was a crappy slow-responding touch screen (as a lot of them were pre-iPhone) so they started trying out all the weird controllers around 2007 or so. If they'd stayed with the touch screen and sourced a better one I think everyone would have a lot fewer complaints.

Man, those old touchscreens were something else -- brutal in the delay between action and reaction.

Agreed. There is no sense in fighting the current. Everyone is looking for a Android or apple like platform that integrates well with personal and home days devices seamlessly. I love Lexus but not until they change this will a purchase another one...

Starting with the new ES, Lexus will start rolling out Apple CarPlay to all its models -- might take a while for it to reach the IS, but it's coming.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Man, those old touchscreens were something else -- brutal in the delay between action and reaction.

Yeah. And at the time that was more or less how you expected touch screens to work. I had a Windows CE phone around that time with a stylus-only touch screen and the response time was equally brutal. So the iPhone and Android and the Palm Pre were a revelation.

Reactions

Starting with the new ES, Lexus will start rolling out Apple CarPlay to all its models -- might take a while for it to reach the IS, but it's coming.
So you think 2019 model of Lexus LS500 will be equipped with Apple Carplay ?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
So you think 2019 model of Lexus LS500 will be equipped with Apple Carplay ?

A little off-topic, but I think the 2019 LS has to include CarPlay. Have no confirmation, mind you.

Reactions
It won't be. The Apple Car play and Alexa will start being available on the 19s but it won't be something you can add on to the older models.

Reactions
I really love Lexus but I won't buy another one until they update the infotainment system... It's really inconvenient and more of a distraction than it's worth. I keep an Android tablet in my IS for that reason.

Good point... Just purchased IS350 FSport3 and I'm still getting used to the infotainment system. Navigating it seems too complicated. The mouse is a pain to use!

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The mouse was a pain, the touchpad they replaced it with is a definite improvement.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew

Lexus IS Owner Blog: The Toyota Prius Interlude
18-11-27-lexus-toyota-prius-review.jpg

A temporary switch.
View the original article post

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
After reading the above, I can't help but gloat and feel relief that I'm in Miami and don't have to put up with that stuff! :grinning:

I'm relieved to hear that those incidents didn't turn out far worse for you or your Lexus.

RAL

Reactions
Ah yes winter ... I've cancelled several outings in order to keep the new ES in the garage ... out of the crap! I feel for all of you who don't have a choice but to go out anyway. This polar vortex swooping up and down is vexing! Stay safe everyone!

@Joaquin Ruhi, I grew up in Miami. Just rotations of Spring and Summer for the most part, you fortunate man! I noticed it was 70 degrees (F) in Key West at 10 PM the other night.

Our Danish son, looking at his phone?!?, on St. Pete's Beach, Florida ... Sorry, long way from IS owners blog ... except that on snowy/icy winter days, I wish I had my IS 300 AWD back!
IMG_2332.jpeg