5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I got some interesting info from the Vienna Motor Symposium 2017.

Here in Europe Mercedes will offer the new 3.0 I6 engine with 2 power levels.
S400 - 361hp/367ps - 369lb-ft/500Nm
S500 - 428hp/435ps - 384 lb-ft/520Nm + 22ps - 184lb-ft/250Nm E-Boost, thanks to the new mild hybrid system with the ISG (Integrated Starter Generator) which reduce the turbo lag.

So the S500 will be the direct competitor to the LS500 here, and not the S560. Lexus is a real game changer now and they can steal many buyers from the german trio this time, especially from bmw and audi :cool: V6 with V8 power, RWD/AWD options and the most original design.

Interesting bit about Vienna Motor Symposium 2017 is Toyota engineers presenting something about clean diesel technology :).

For those who dont know, this is premium engine-related event where many car manufacturers reveal new technologies or explain them better... Toyota has shown their estec engines, diesels, and more in past few years.

mikeavelli

Reactions
During KREW and myself's time with Lexus in Ibiza for their "Make Your Mark" Experience we happily had some time to inspect a LC 500h AWD which was brought to the villa at the last minute. The more I see it in person, the more it grows on you.

The interior is honestly one of the best at any price. The best interior of any Lexus, ever.

IMG_2612.JPG

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
During KREW and myself's time with Lexus in Ibiza for their "Make Your Mark" Experience we happily had some time to inspect a LC 500h AWD which was brought to the villa at the last minute. The more I see it in person, the more it grows on you.

The interior is honestly one of the best at any price. The best interior of any Lexus, ever.

View attachment 2398
The black is the most fitting colour on the LS IMO

Madi

Fan
Reactions
LEXUS just revealed the ALL NEW LS 350 !!

With naturally aspirated 3.5 Liter V6. Produces 318 HP & 380 N.m.

p_5200sk510.jpeg

p_520eu0ul1.jpeg

p_520c7uu62.jpeg

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Interesting. So they're moving upmarket but not abandoning the current price range to Genesis.

I'm going to just boggle for a moment at the concept of powertrain-starved Lexus suddenly having at least 3 powertrain options for the LS, of all things.

Last edited:

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
The numbers seem to tell me this is 2GR-FKS from GS?

I guess you and mikeavelli are correct. I had hoped it would be a Dynamic Force engine, but perhaps I was a little asleep on something. What is clear to me is, they can get more power out of these engines, but are deliberately not trying to. The GS should not even have less than 320 hp, yet now the Camry XSE tops the RX and the ES, which the latter goes into production in Q4 2018, on stream for December 2018 release. The IS if I recall, only has 306 hp. How do they plan to manage this?

The LS is now a 2018.5, so an LF-FC-inspired facelift is not due until early 2021 at earliest. The fifth generation might last until 2024, with the turbo 4-cylinder arriving mid-cycle or pre-mid in late 2019. It is too bad they cannot give the GS another refresh for 2018.5 (Jan intro) in the meantime, with these improvements in power output. I highly doubt it is coming stateside, as no LS 350 trademark was filed with the USPTO.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I guess you and mikeavelli are correct. I had hoped it would be a Dynamic Force engine, but perhaps I was a little asleep on something. What is clear to me is, they can get more power out of these engines, but are deliberately not trying to. The GS should not even have less than 320 hp, yet now the Camry XSE tops the RX and the ES, which the latter goes into production in Q4 2018, on stream for December 2018 release. The IS if I recall, only has 306 hp. How do they plan to manage this?

The LS is now a 2018.5, so an LF-FC-inspired facelift is not due until early 2021 at earliest. The fifth generation might last until 2024, with the turbo 4-cylinder arriving mid-cycle or pre-mid in late 2019. It is too bad they cannot give the GS another refresh for 2018.5 (Jan intro) in the meantime, with these improvements in power output. I highly doubt it is coming stateside, as no LS 350 trademark was filed with the USPTO.

few more or less at 6900 rpm is hardly an improvement anyway. They should massage it to lower maximum torque even more down the line and not add few hp at high end. 2018 Camry will have 296 hp in sport version and 292hp in regular, difference in exhaust.

Quite often new engines from TMC have no difference in maximum torque/hp, but have changed power curve. Only possible difference would be when adding new tech like D4S or Turbo to the engine, this is how new 4cly Dynamic Force engines have more hp than before, they added D4S.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
few more or less at 6900 rpm is hardly an improvement anyway. They should massage it to lower maximum torque even more down the line and not add few hp at high end. 2018 Camry will have 296 hp in sport version and 292hp in regular, difference in exhaust.

Quite often new engines from TMC have no difference in maximum torque/hp, but have changed power curve. Only possible difference would be when adding new tech like D4S or Turbo to the engine, this is how new 4cly Dynamic Force engines have more hp than before, they added D4S.

Numbers are out and the New Camry is at least 301hp, and I think maybe 306 on XSE because of quad exhaust.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
ok, so now IS has to be 308 or else why buy it?

If you talking about the hybrid version or turbo then 308Hp is ok. on anything replacing the IS350 better be putting out upward of 340hp. I feel like the next IS should do a 0-60 in 4.9/5 seconds without trying. The new Camry is the same weight with the IS if not lesser with almost the same power. the new IS would have to step up and the GS too.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
If you talking about the hybrid version or turbo then 308Hp is ok. on anything replacing the IS350 better be putting out upward of 340hp. I feel like the next IS should do a 0-60 in 4.9/5 seconds without trying. The new Camry is the same weight with the IS if not lesser with almost the same power. the new IS would have to step up and the GS too.

i am sure they will put new bi-turbo somewhere in the IS, but then everyone will complain how it is $70k.

In any case, statistically most buyers buy base engines due to the price, so these upgrade engines matter little but for forum and magazine wars. As to the Camry being same weight, that wont help it because it is FWD. Then even if it was RWD, it would be significantly less luxurious than IS.

New IS is so far away that it is almost pointless discussion really.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Yeah seems they can squeeze more power out. I wonder did the redline change any? I wonder did MPG also improve or is it the same.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
i am sure they will put new bi-turbo somewhere in the IS, but then everyone will complain how it is $70k.

In any case, statistically most buyers buy base engines due to the price, so these upgrade engines matter little but for forum and magazine wars. As to the Camry being same weight, that wont help it because it is FWD. Then even if it was RWD, it would be significantly less luxurious than IS.

New IS is so far away that it is almost pointless discussion really.

The funny thing is knowing how stubborn Lexus I wont be surprised if they keep an NA V6 engine in the GS and IS with a better out put. Just to give them enough room to toy with the F models. only if all F models would have a V8tt. Although, you right its really a pointless discussion lets see what the company has planned as the year keeps unfolding.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
My thinking is that now that we've seen a new Dynamic Force V6 in naturally aspirated and twin-turbo forms that we'll eventually see a single-turbo version in the IS and GS.

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
I don't think they can do a single turbo V6 without major changes versus what's in the LS500.

I say this based on the fact that the LS engine, at least from pictures that I've seen, has the turbos placed in traditional locations, near the manifold on each bank.

To replicate this with one turbo would mean ridiculous amounts of piping. The only way to really achieve a single turbo on a dual-banked engine is either with reverse-flow headers, like what is found in almost all German engines, or move the turbo to the front or back of the engine, a major change versus where they are in the LS.

This "hot V" configuration allows them to place one or two turbos above the engine, between the banks. Either a single twin scroll, two single scroll or two twin scrolls all work here. The headers are reversed and the piping is extremely short, eliminating lag, and importantly symmetrical from both manifolds be it one or two turbos, a feat that cannot be easily achieved with the traditional turbo placement low on the engine near the traditional manifold location. Two works there easily, but not one.