CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Oh my goodness, y'all. You're. Not. Getting. My. Point. OBVIOUSLY the CLA is different from the SClass (I clearly said that. You quoted it too). I am saying the CLA is proof that you can go to the bottom of the chain and still feel like you're driving a Mercedes. I would never drive a TX and feel like I am driving a Lexus. I would feel like I am in a rebadged Grand Highlander - unlike being in the RX that is miles apart from a Highlander inside and out.
Look at this CLA:
View attachment 7490View attachment 7491
Notice how - even at the BOTTOM - it still retains the Mercedes image. It's still sleek and aggressive. Yes, the interior is not SClass-like, but does that not still look striking and stunning for a low-level Mercedes (I know I shared the AMG version, but the TX has an FSPORT Performance version which lacks any distinction from its base model)? Interior is far nicer than an Accord/Camry. Let's get real here.

That is what I am getting at. Lexus made little to no distinction between the TX and Grand Highlander making the TX basically a Toyota. Design-wise it's NOT Lexus-like.
Would I turn heads for the CLA? Maybe - especially the AMG. Would I turn heads for a TX or TX FSPORT Performance? Probably, but I'd turn the other way to look away from it.

I am a huge Lexus fan. I would NEVER own a Mercedes, but Mercedes is showcasing luxury is every aspect of design and performance for every model. Lexus is killing it in reliability and safety. If they knew how to better design luxury and up that performance, there'd be no stopping them, but for some reason, they refuse to step up their game. Playing it safe in today's auto industry will not cut it anymore.

This is the craziest, but also clearest representation of what kind of "luxury" buyers these models cater to.

Society is going to increasingly delaminate; one on side you have the deluded masses, the other the informed few. More cheeseball trash produced to appeal to one group, with increasingly extreme and unattainable, real luxury on the other side.

Social media has made it exhausting to deal with regular people. You cant even help people any more. Makes you into a sociopath - what else can you do but stand back and laugh?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Notice how - even at the BOTTOM - it still retains the Mercedes image. It's still sleek and aggressive. Yes, the interior is not SClass-like, but does that not still look striking and stunning for a low-level Mercedes (I know I shared the AMG version, but the TX has an FSPORT Performance version which lacks any distinction from its base model)? Interior is far nicer than an Accord/Camry. Let's get real here.
It's striking and stunning in the "someone struck you in the head and stunned you" way. It retains *a* Mercedes image, but my argument with what you're saying is that it's not the S-Class image, it's the A/C/E-Class image. You can instantly distinguish an S-Class from any other Mercedes, and that's part of what makes it special. Lexus, Audi, and BMW all went the other way where each category's flagship looks like all of the others in that category and only enthusiasts can distinguish them. (The new LX and GX are the exception; you *can* distinguish them easily).

I've already said that the TX should've had the RX front end and been called the RX L because that's what it really is. But I also think it's gonna sell even as-is because it fits full-size adults in all 3 rows and nothing else Lexus makes does that.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
It's striking and stunning in the "someone struck you in the head and stunned you" way. It retains *a* Mercedes image, but my argument with what you're saying is that it's not the S-Class image, it's the A/C/E-Class image. You can instantly distinguish an S-Class from any other Mercedes, and that's part of what makes it special. Lexus, Audi, and BMW all went the other way where each category's flagship looks like all of the others in that category and only enthusiasts can distinguish them. (The new LX and GX are the exception; you *can* distinguish them easily).

I've already said that the TX should've had the RX front end and been called the RX L because that's what it really is. But I also think it's gonna sell even as-is because it fits full-size adults in all 3 rows and nothing else Lexus makes does that.
Respectfully i cant see people confusing an LS for a 7 series or A8
The S class to me only has its size now, the E class and others are borrowing too heavily from it.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It's striking and stunning in the "someone struck you in the head and stunned you" way. It retains *a* Mercedes image, but my argument with what you're saying is that it's not the S-Class image, it's the A/C/E-Class image. You can instantly distinguish an S-Class from any other Mercedes, and that's part of what makes it special.

It's embarrassing to admit this as a car enthusiast, but I literally cannot tell C from E from S unless I'm right up on it and can see the size of the car or the badge. They look completely identical to me.

You might have been talking about the interior though - not sure?

Reactions
It's embarrassing to admit this as a car enthusiast, but I literally cannot tell C from E from S unless I'm right up on it and can see the size of the car or the badge. They look completely identical to me.
Sheesh, I need to go outside more then...

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
S from C/E definitely depends on the angle a lot more than it used to. The front end's completely different of course. From the side, the main clue is that the rear part of the split in the rear window is weirdly large on the C/E and much smaller on the S. From the rear, yeah, if you can't read the badge it could be anything.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
@mikeavelli

I know it is not your type of car, but if you could find the reasons/justifications Lexus had to power the PHEV with the 8GR instead of the T24A it would be interesting to know.

The TX is a large and heavy car, so turbo would seem more appropriate, just as it is on the new Tacoma, leaving simple/reliable argument aside.. On the other hand, thinking about a potential ES, there just the V6 would seem right, yet info is Camry and ES are getting T24A as the Crown.

mikeavelli

Reactions
@mikeavelli

I know it is not your type of car, but if you could find the reasons/justifications Lexus had to power the PHEV with the 8GR instead of the T24A it would be interesting to know.

The TX is a large and heavy car, so turbo would seem more appropriate, just as it is on the new Tacoma, leaving simple/reliable argument aside.. On the other hand, thinking about a potential ES, there just the V6 would seem right, yet info is Camry and ES are getting T24A as the Crown.

That’s a good question let me see.

MrT

Reactions
@mikeavelli

My guess would be that with turbo ICE like in Tacoma, tundra and RX 500h, the ICE would be running most of the time and be supplemented by e motor..
In PHEV the e motor is supplemented by NA ICE as it is more reliable as supplementary force and frequent stop start as oppose the turbo ICE.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Could it be since allegedly this V6 PHEV is going into the new Century Suv that Lexus just decided to share the powertrain between the 2? I feel like this would be the answer but Lexus will give a political answer as to why they have the V6

Clif Payne

Founding Member
Reactions
I have worked for Lexus for 33 years. For those who may not understand, the TX is a vehicle that Lexus dealers have requested for a decade. There is a market for families that need the room of a Suburban but want a vehicle that drives like an RX. It is not a vehicle for everybody just like the UX is not a vehicle for everybody. This fall we will have 6 SUVs, who would have ever thought it? Yet there is a market for all 6. The RX changed the world and now most vehicles sold are SUVs and trucks. Even Ferrari has an SUV, of sorts, now. As a salesman that sells Lexus everyday and talks with customers everyday for the last 33 years, I can tell you that the TX will be a welcome member to the family and a vehicle that sells well. We have many deposits waiting on the arrival of the TX.

LarryT

Follower
Reactions

Josh & John's House of Toyotas
1.64K subscribers

Comments

@jamesvirga9496 2 weeks ago
Lexus looks too much like Toyota. Now. I’ve owned Lexus RXs sine 2009. The new Lexus RX looks too much Toyota, the TX is a highlander. There is no reason to move to a 4 cyl for 1 mpg. Just makes no sense.

1 reply
@joshandjohnshouseoftoyotas 2 weeks ago
I actually completely agree, we may be trading our NX sooner and not getting the TX in order to get something that’s properly old Lexus.

Interesting.