Introducing the 2018 Lexus LS F SPORT

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2) Heat Blue (a.k.a. Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0) is available on LS F SPORT outside the U.S. Much as I like that color, I understand the U.S. decision to turn it down for the LS line.

Good catch, even if the news is a little disappointing. I bet a USB LS is going to look pretty good.

Looks good however agree with earlier comment that it is not going to compete with the Merc AMG which is disappointing really just a few different bits and bobs which the average driver will not even notice after leaving the showroom. Possibly a missed opportunity to make more of a halo model complete with a turbo V8 motor etc.

I understand everyone's excitement, but this is a trim level, not a full-on performance model. I bet we see an LC F & LS F in the future.

No launch/intro video?

There's an event tonight in NYC -- a pre-NYIAS party of some description -- maybe a video will debut then.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
I love ultrasonic Blue Mica. That is the color of my RC 300 F sport. It's odd, but the possibility of getting USB would shift the desirability of the LS 500 F sport in a more positive direction. Although, a LS F would really take the cake and I'd rather wait for that if I were to purchase a LS500

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Call me nuts but I think the non-F Sport looks better. I'm in NY Krew, I even have my Black LFA t-shirt. I'm here for work visiting from DC. What are the chances of me getting in as a special guest, meeting you, and see the best car on the planet tomorrow?

Not actually in NYC -- had to miss it this year. :oops:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
There's an event tonight in NYC -- a pre-NYIAS party of some description -- maybe a video will debut then.
They had the automotive press spread pretty thin with the Tuesday night off-site introductions. Not only the Lexus LS F-Sport but the Dodge Challenger Demon and next-gen Buick Enclave (and its new Avenir trim level) were also launched at dedicated events last night preceding the on-site NY Auto Show press conferences today.

mikeavelli

Reactions
They had the automotive press spread pretty thin with the Tuesday night off-site introductions. Not only the Lexus LS F-Sport but the Dodge Challenger Demon and next-gen Buick Enclave (and its new Avenir trim level) were also launched at dedicated events last night preceding the on-site NY Auto Show press conferences today.

The Dodge Demon is dominating. Its like no other cars are debuting at the show. Dodge did one hell of a job not just with the car but the event. They invited top social media influencers, top photographers, Wiz Khalifa, Vin Diesel etc etc... Did burnouts on stage... I know quite a few people at the event and my social media feed was all Dodge.

Lexus had a small private party but there wasn't much posted. The people there that are "influencers" can't spell the word.

mikeavelli

Reactions
As for the car, having owned one of the only LS F-Sports modified and owned by someone not 100 years old its kind of sad the one that excites me is the hybrid. I'm sorry but not adding 1 more HP to the tt V-6 is rather lame this day and age. I don't desire a tt V-6 unless its in the GT-R. I want a V-8. MPG is of absolute no concern.

So yes I would pose and look like I have 600hp but would be in my F-Sport 500h hybrid with 360hp or whatever getting 30 MPG. Without adding more power it just isn't that exciting. Which really is a shame. I wanted to fall in love again.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-04-12-lexus-ls-f-sport-hero.jpg

A closer look at the new LS performance package.
View the original article post

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I like and agree with your commentary in your article linked above.

It seems to me that the seats' unusually complicated perforation pattern is meant to echo the F SPORT's front grille mesh pattern. Lincoln (of all luxury carmakers) has been a pioneer in unusual seat perforation patterns in some of their Black Label interiors, and here Lexus is offering its take on that. I personally really like it, but agree that the black is kinda boring. I'm really looking forward to seeing this interior in Circuit Red, and hope for an expanded F SPORT interior color palette in the future, with options such as Flaxen, Saddle Tan or perhaps a dark blue.

It also seems that the unique cut crystal/glass door panel inlay from the regular LS didn't make it into the LS F SPORT. A shame if that's the case.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
I like and agree with your commentary in your article linked above.

It seems to me that the seats' unusually complicated perforation pattern is meant to echo the F SPORT's front grille mesh pattern. Lincoln (of all luxury carmakers) has been a pioneer in unusual seat perforation patterns in some of their Black Label interiors, and here Lexus is offering its take on that. I personally really like it, but agree that the black is kinda boring. I'm really looking forward to seeing this interior in Circuit Red, and hope for an expanded F SPORT interior color palette in the future, with options such as Flaxen, Saddle Tan or perhaps a dark blue.

It also seems that the unique cut crystal/glass door panel inlay from the regular LS didn't make it into the LS F SPORT. A shame if that's the case.

I think I have already made it known here on the forums but one of my biggest gripes with Lexus is that they do the thinking FOR you.

And another example is yours where you prefer the cut glass interior trim with an F-Sport exterior trim.

What if I didn't want those silly seats but I like F-Sport exterior? This is the LS, I do hope there are more options offered.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I think I have already made it known here on the forums but one of my biggest gripes with Lexus is that they do the thinking FOR you.

And another example is yours where you prefer the cut glass interior trim with an F-Sport exterior trim.

What if I didn't want those silly seats but I like F-Sport exterior? This is the LS, I do hope there are more options offered.

I'm curious will the F-Sport get the luxury option packages or be left in the cold again. I hated my F-Sport rear passengers got nothing but fold down mirrors. No side view shades, no reclining seats, A/C etc...hopefully that changed.

We are passionate about Lexus so we just want..better....

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions

I definitely agree, and wish Lexus would offer at least some of Japan's L-Select options on a built-to-order basis to compete with the Audi exclusive, BMW Individual and Mercedes-Benz designo offerings here in the States and in Europe. But no, a prepackaged occasional special edition is as close as Lexus gets. :mad:

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Damn, I never realized that the trim was the same chrome! Looks a lot darker probably because of the lighting.

I just feel like F Sport needs to be reinvented as krew said, or the package shouldn't have the letter F in the name at all. I know many people that are confused between F and F Sport, and some people even buy F Sports thinking they are full performance vehicles when really they only add sporty looks and slightly better handling and driving experience. F Sport should become a mid-performance model so it can have a significant advantage over the regular model while not as much power or price as the full F model. If this package is going to stick with this formula please just call it something else. Just bring back the name L-Tuned.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
As for the car, having owned one of the only LS F-Sports modified and owned by someone not 100 years old its kind of sad the one that excites me is the hybrid. I'm sorry but not adding 1 more HP to the tt V-6 is rather lame this day and age. I don't desire a tt V-6 unless its in the GT-R. I want a V-8. MPG is of absolute no concern.

So yes I would pose and look like I have 600hp but would be in my F-Sport 500h hybrid with 360hp or whatever getting 30 MPG. Without adding more power it just isn't that exciting. Which really is a shame. I wanted to fall in love again.
Buy a LC call it a day!!! Lol

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I'm curious will the F-Sport get the luxury option packages or be left in the cold again. I hated my F-Sport rear passengers got nothing but fold down mirrors. No side view shades, no reclining seats, A/C etc...hopefully that changed.

i think i read in the article that options stay the same.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Damn, I never realized that the trim was the same chrome! Looks a lot darker probably because of the lighting.

I just feel like F Sport needs to be reinvented as krew said, or the package shouldn't have the letter F in the name at all. I know many people that are confused between F and F Sport, and some people even buy F Sports thinking they are full performance vehicles when really they only add sporty looks and slightly better handling and driving experience. F Sport should become a mid-performance model so it can have a significant advantage over the regular model while not as much power or price as the full F model. If this package is going to stick with this formula please just call it something else. Just bring back the name L-Tuned.

I completely agree completely. People are easily confused and Lexus should more clearly distinguish the F models from the rest. Also, having a mid range sporty option that has more than just exterior trim and minor changes in handing (like the current Fsport), such as more HP in the engine, would be very marketable and a better competitor.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I just feel like F Sport needs to be reinvented as krew said, or the package shouldn't have the letter F in the name at all. I know many people that are confused between F and F Sport, and some people even buy F Sports thinking they are full performance vehicles when really they only add sporty looks and slightly better handling and driving experience.

thats not going to happen ever because germans are making a ton of money selling individual sport-look options and lexus is making a ton of money on doing these affordable f-sport models, since most people wont or cant add $30k extra for full F model. Compared to german options here in Europe, Lexus is offering far, far more comprehensive package. Looking over used Audis, you never know what you will get... it could be just S-line steering wheel. It could be exterior package but with base cloth seats inside.

It is just an big industry trend that is doing great. People want to pay little and look sharp.

As to people buying F-Sport thinking they are Fs, lets not kid ourselves. That reminded me of one girl showing me her new Samsung Galaxy, her wanting it to be $800 model and reality it being cheap almost useless basic model.

I am sure there will be LS F... but lets see how many takers. It is a model that will be hard sell anywhere but USA, while F-Sports, especially LS500h might end up with majority of sales outside of US.. in most EU countries taxes are tied to MPG, so something like F would be almost pointless to want.

Last edited:

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions

i think i read in the article that options stay the same.

Packaging of the F-Sport models has always been unfortunate so let's hope they have fixed it this time. I also find unfortunate they want more money for actual performance improvements on performance trim. Do you know if that performance package is standard on international LS F-Sport (like how GS450h F-Sport had rear steering standard) or it's an option across the globe like announced in US?