Introducing the 2018 Lexus LS F SPORT

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
I think this classifies as good news/bad news, but I overlaid the LS F SPORT image on top of an existing LS 500 rendering and I think there's only one thing different:

Are we really getting gunmetal trim on the F SPORT package? :dizzy:

The car pictured is a rendered 3D model and a lot can go "wrong" from final render to Photoshop end product. It could be that they changed the chrome color of the trunk and side trim for the render but then they didn't bother to change it on exhausts and taillights. Just don't tell me Lexus is bean counting once more and they "cannot afford" to make exhausts and taillight chrome darker for the special F-Sport package. If darker chrome ever comes to F-Sport.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
The car pictured is a rendered 3D model and a lot can go "wrong" from final render to Photoshop end product. It could be that they changed the chrome color of the trunk and side trim for the render but then they didn't bother to change it on exhausts and taillights. Just don't tell me Lexus is bean counting once more and they "cannot afford" to make exhausts and taillight chrome darker for the special F-Sport package. If darker chrome ever comes to F-Sport.

The chrome exhaust definitely pokes a hole in my theory, I'll admit.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
gunmetal trim would be nice.
about the engine, it also would be nice to see something like a TTV8, but it seems unlikely. Also, what engine would go into a LS F?, a TTV8?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-04-10-lexus-ls-f-sport.jpg

The fifth-generation Lexus LS flagship gets the F SPORT treatment.
View the original article post

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I actually read the Lexus Global Newsroom press release ( http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/16345361/ ) before its Lexus USA Newsroom counterpart ( http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/2018+lexus+ls+500+f+sport+debuts+nyias.htm ) also posted above. Two differences stood out:

1) The F SPORT Handling Package (Variable Gear Ratio Steering, Active Rear Steering, Active Stabilizer, and sport-tuned air suspension with rapid height function) is optional on U.S.-market RWD LS models but seemingly standard on those outside the U.S. (or, presumably, Japan and Europe)

2) Heat Blue (a.k.a. Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0) is available on LS F SPORT outside the U.S. Much as I like that color, I understand the U.S. decision to turn it down for the LS line.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I actually prefer the stock grill in pics. Nice touches inside and out. I wished the shadow grill trim was throughout the car (side windows, etc). Interior continues to look amazing. I wonder will the F-Sport get the same option packages as the regular LS or they keep the luxury packages away from the F-Sport.

Since there is no power bump, my choice would be the hybrid...

The crazy thing is, this thing might be a year away.....

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Overall, more a fan of the standard car, but I'd like to see the standard LS in black with those wheels!

Don't really care for the grill, despite the work Lexus put into developing it.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Looks good however agree with earlier comment that it is not going to compete with the Merc AMG which is disappointing really just a few different bits and bobs which the average driver will not even notice after leaving the showroom. Possibly a missed opportunity to make more of a halo model complete with a turbo V8 motor etc. Not sure what to make of it and where its appeal will really lie - the average luxury barge owner probably does not need four wheel steer etc but would like to say that his car is faster then top opposition models. Perhaps a bit of a disappointment?

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
I agree; quite honestly I like the Porsche Panamera; very good looking car that is much sportier and faster, but more expensive (especially the Turbo).

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Developing the F SPORT grille took computer-aided design (CAD) operators some five months to achieve the desired texture and interaction with light. Even then, they adjusted 7,100 individual surfaces to achieve the desired look and texture (compared to 5,000 for the standard model’s grille).

They've finally brought to attention how time consuming was to design the weave for a sculpted grille like on 5LS. Adjusting 7,100 surfaces is a stretch as it's all done in a batch but still it's a tedious process.

Other than that it's a lukewarm trim option that completely doesn't belong on a magnificant car like LS500. Maybe its the white color that doesn't sit well.

BTW they did definitely add some yellow to the chrome bits and pieces on the car and yes they did omit to color the exhaust and taillight chrome surfaces as well. Cheap. Scratch that, after looking at the live shots there is not matte yellowish chrome on the door trims but there is an obvious difference in exhaust cover and taillight material compared to rest of the chrome accents. Post processing of the official photography got us deceived that there is a difference when clearly there is none, they just forgot to clean up the trim pieces from picking up background yellowish reflection.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Looks good however agree with earlier comment that it is not going to compete with the Merc AMG which is disappointing really just a few different bits and bobs which the average driver will not even notice after leaving the showroom. Possibly a missed opportunity to make more of a halo model complete with a turbo V8 motor etc. Not sure what to make of it and where its appeal will really lie - the average luxury barge owner probably does not need four wheel steer etc but would like to say that his car is faster then top opposition models. Perhaps a bit of a disappointment?

this is F Sport model, not F. So why would there be TTV8? It is model that looks and drive sportier but not sports model.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Agree with @spwolf. Some of you are confusing this with LS F. This is a different car - F-Sport trim of the standard LS.

No launch/intro video?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions
Hmmm. A worthy proposition. I just hope that this packaging, especially the brakes, carry over to every F sport trim in the Lexus lineup, and make buffs for the already weighty RC and IS models.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Thanks - was hoping for one just for the F Sport model though. I've seen the first two - LS 500 and LS 500h. Maybe they'll release something later?

yeah, maybe at show? Not sure... usually they do, but this time it is nowhere to be found. I prefer real show pics anyway.