Hyundai Motor Group no No. 3 automaker in sales volume | More fires

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
It looked like a trend was starting about 2 or 3 years ago in taillight styling of splitting the rear turn signal indicators from the rear combination lamps and placing them low down in the bumper. It seemed to start with Hyundai (the current Santa Fe comes to mind) and the current-generation Toyota Venza / Harrier has that also.

It did not seem to catch on, thankfully. It makes the turn signals difficult to see if you are following closely behind such a vehicle (in heavy traffic, for example).

I see some Ford Explorer in the side profile of the white rendering.

Considering the CUV crazy for the last twenty years how come none of the DOT officials never paid attention that they themselves can't see all of the rear lights of other CUVs if they are in front of them in tight city traffic jam. Yet to this day there are CUVs on sale that have rear light placement at exhaust level pretty much.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Is there a list of which cars are affected? Is the Genesis G70 among these cars without immobilizer?

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

Do you guys want to see what real unintended and uncontrollable acceleration looks like? Here it is. An Ioniq 5 got hit in the left by a blind idiot driver and that Ioniq 5 just went haywire and go full throttle all by itself. All of this news is really well contained within South Korea because if this news leaks out especially if it reaches the US, the NHTSA and probably the owners of the same model in the US would be all up Hyundai's rear end with investigations and class action lawsuits. Of course, back in South Korea most likely no action would be taken against Hyundai since that country and its government is basically owned and controlled by giant corporations like Hyundai and Samsung.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Wild people really be buying these still…

Wtf, instead of fixing the brake fluid leaking from the ABS module, they just stick in a lower amperage fuse to limit the operating current of the ABS module and I don't know, pray that it doesn't leak again? That is some other worldly hack job fix if I've ever seen one.

Btw, are these 2 models also part of the ones that don't come with immobilizers from the factory? 😂

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Wtf, instead of fixing the brake fluid leaking from the ABS module, they just stick in a lower amperage fuse to limit the operating current of the ABS module and I don't know, pray that it doesn't leak again? That is some other worldly hack job fix if I've ever seen one.
I have to think "customer may lose ABS and then possibly all brakes" is at least as bad as the fire, but it's probably less likely to attract NHTSA's attention, at least immediately.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Wild people really be buying these still…

Brooks also questioned why NHTSA is allowing the companies to only replace a fuse, and why owners aren’t being sent interim letters immediately warning them of a serious problem. “You would think that you should be notifying those owners right now that they shouldn’t be parking in their garages or their house could catch fire,” he said.

Not even solving it...

"How come Hyundai can afford to give us these mock luxury cars at these prices but toyota..."
This is how come.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I am not one to just poo poo on Hyundai "just because," but this is pretty concerning. The Hyundai/Kia/Genesis camp seems really divided into folks who swear they're amazing and more reliable than Toyotas, and people who have owned one and been burnt, and recommend running in the other direction.

The comments of this video are also insightful...

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I am literally looking at a car with a club on the wheel and its a hyundai. What year is this?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
To be fair, Toyota is not an example and does very little (if not nothing) to secure against car theft. In Europe Toyotas and Lexus' are top ranking in theft.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

Thousands of electric vehicles on America’s roads could have a potentially serious safety issue: Brake lights that might not illuminate when the vehicle is brought to a stop while using aggressive regenerative-braking settings. Regenerative braking slows an EV when it’s coasting or braking while recouping energy and sending it back to recharge the battery.

June 26, 2023, update: Since this article originally published June 9, 2023, Hyundai/Genesis and Kia have responded to Consumer Reports’ test findings, indicating that the companies are working on a solution to be deployed to Hyundai, Genesis, and Kia EVs this summer. The article has been updated to reflect their responses.

mikeavelli

Reactions
One cool and safe feature on the new Lexus hybrids or EV’s is a rear brake light indicator so even when you are coasting it shows the brake lights are activated.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
One cool and safe feature on the new Lexus hybrids or EV’s is a rear brake light indicator so even when you are coasting it shows the brake lights are activated.

I'm not quite sure I follow you on this one, Mike. If a vehicle is being "coasted", it means that, by definition, it is rolling along without the brakes themselves being used. So, then....why would the brake-lights have to be activated? :unsure:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I'm not quite sure I follow you on this one, Mike. If a vehicle is being "coasted", it means that, by definition, it is rolling along without the brakes themselves being used. So, then....why would the brake-lights have to be activated? :unsure:
Because deceleration is what brake lights are meant to communicate, not technicalities of how youre achieving it