6th Generation Toyota 4Runner Megathread

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Now to wait on pricing. Currently, 4Runner TRD OR and TRD Pro are the only BOF Toyota SUVs I'd buy. Now I'll have a Land Cruiser 1958 and Grade along with 4Runner TRD OR, Pro, Trailhunter, and even Limited that I'd be interested in. Feed it into the decision making matrix and see what falls out.

That green is really nice. Also loving heritage blue.

Last edited:

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I have mixed feelings about this. The design just looks like a mashup of different things and doesn’t really flow, imo. Maybe it’ll look better once I see it in person and see a few accessories.

I do like the brown interior, and I like that there aren’t the vertical slits below the headlights. The snorkel is neat too. Not a fan of the rear quarter glass being higher than the rest. It seems they are trying to emulate a 1st gen, but it doesn’t work.

It’s interesting to see mention of limited slip diff on all models. Surely they will still offer a rear locker on TRD Offroad, TRD Pro, and Trailhunter? I hope so. No mention of a manual trans is a bummer too, but I’m holding out in case that gets mentioned.

It looks like I was wrong about the new color being Underground. The teal color is interesting. The tan looks fantastic.

From what I’ve seen thus far, I’d 100% take a LC250 over a new 4Runner.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I am betting this starts around $43-44k for the SR5 4x2 and then stretches up into the high-60s for Trailhunter, TRD PRO. etc.

Seems about right for where the market is right now, and the Land Cruiser being positioned above it.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Looks very good. The whole BOF range looks great.

Now only two left to go: Hilux and Fortuner.

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
ToMoCo will be offering a lot of overlapping BOF options from the 43k to the mid 85k range, right before the LX takes off into the 100s. They're just banking on one of them to suit any buyer's needs. And if we get the baby Land Cruiser, we're talking competing in the 30-43k range as well.

If I had to rank them, I'd go:
1.GX550
2.LC250
3.4Runner
4.Sequoia
5.LX600

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I like and don't like this new 4Runner. I appreciate how concept-car like the styling is.. wildly pumped fenders with jumbo flares definitely gives me mid-00s concept car vibes.

But the whole package is slightly fussy looking, the front has a bit too much lines and the rear door handle not being aligned with the front door handle bugs me a bit too.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think it looks great - very 4Runner, but also very futuristic and tough.

The 4.0L V6 with 5AT is such a dog that even the standard 2.4T with 8AT is going to feel like a sports car in comparison. Some 4th gen Tacoma owners are reporting low- to mid-20s in mixed driving which is pretty fantastic too.

So many trims, options and accessories... Another home run from Toyota!

Motor

Expert
Reactions

• Standard i-FORCE turbocharged 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine produces 278 horsepower, 317 lb.-ft. of torque
  • Available i-FORCE MAX hybrid powertrain produces up to 326 horsepower, 465 lb.-ft. of torque
  • All-new Trailhunter is a Toyota built overlanding rig available with the latest integrated off-road equipment from ARB®, Old Man Emu® and RIGID Industries®
  • Standard power rear window with an available power liftgate
  • First-ever Platinum premium grade now offered
  • Available 14-inch touchscreen displays latest Toyota Audio Multimedia
  • Toyota Safety Sense 3.0 standard on all models
  • On-sale Fall 2024

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Looks good, but Toyota just can't stop growing the size of its off-road SUVs. The 4Runner has identical dimensions as the LC250 and GX. And all three are comparable to LC200. The Golden Ratio wheelbase is good, losing approach and departure angles isn't. And now all three are widebody. So overall the new GA-F products grew massively in capabilities but also much less maneuverable on tight trails and cities. I think this is the reason why the mini Land Cruiser is being developed.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Looks good, but Toyota just can't stop growing the size of its off-road SUVs. The 4Runner has identical dimensions as the LC250 and GX. And all three are comparable to LC200. The Golden Ratio wheelbase is good, losing approach and departure angles isn't. And now all three are widebody. So overall the new GA-F products grew massively in capabilities but also much less maneuverable on tight trails and cities. I think this is the reason why the mini Land Cruiser is being developed.
You think the new Fortuner will also grow in size?

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
It’s interesting to see a new Platinum trim being offered. I always assume the Limited model 4Runners weren’t very popular, so seeing a higher grade luxury trim is surprising. The Platinum must be approaching LC250 prices.

The overall design is giving me major 2nd and 4th gen vibes, and I’m not sure how I feel about that. The taillights look pretty cool when lit up, and I like the separate brake/taillights. The 4Runner headlights are nicer than the Tacoma headlights as well.

Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
I think the days of offroading being number one are gone with these machines. I assume if toyota is doing market research, the conclusion they probably saw is that the majority of owners intending to run trails have budgets that will only work on purchasing used and then modding the crap out of it, slowly (ie beginning of ownership year 1 owner buys truck, year 2 they buy tires, year 3 suspension). The majority of the owners buying these on a new budget are probably glorified pavement queens who like the idea of the capability these machines but will only traverse weekend camping spots or access paths to their next glaming cabin.

They addressed the power deficits and the space constraints which are important (well at least the power since space constraints are worse in some models with the hybrids).