6th Generation Toyota 4Runner Megathread

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
A new teaser from Toyota:
-Power rear window remains
-Reveal April 9
-It looks like the rear window switch is relocated to the overhead console.
-Interior appears very similar to Tacoma

I just had a thought... what if they did removable panels in place of a pano moonroof? That combined with the roll down rear glass would really give the convertible feel without having the hassle of removing the entire top.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I just had a thought... what if they did removable panels in place of a pano moonroof? That combined with the roll down rear glass would really give the convertible feel without having the hassle of removing the entire top.
That would be fantastic. Or even a pano roof with double panes that can retract over the cargo area.

[Edit:] Here’s a better rear view posted in Toyota’s Newsroom:

Quite the bulging fenders!

Last edited:

jphcbpa

Fan
Reactions
looking good. giving pause to the GX / LC until we get more details on this.

Attachments

• 1712240256482.png
    1712240256482.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
I like the taillights as its shape it similar to the outgoing one. Was worried it'd be the more horizontal one like the Sequoia

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Teaser_3_horizontal-1500x844.png

New teaser. Confirms Trailhunter for 4Runner. That color is interesting. Almost a Lunar Rock but not totally.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
If that’s a new color, it looks fantastic. I’m a bit skeptical though. I think it’s just Underground, and the reflection of the nearby vegetation is making it look green. Happy to be wrong though.

That being said, we should see a new color on 2025 TRD Pro models, unless Terra ends up being a carryover. It’s kinda weird that we may see a 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro and 2025 4Runner TRD Pro shown at the same time.

Last edited:

jphcbpa

Fan
Reactions
Like prior 4Runners, the new model also shares a lot with the latest Tacoma midsize pickup including the powertrains. Toyota’s increasingly ubiquitous 2.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder will be under the hood of all sixth-generation 4Runners. The standard i-Force version delivers 278-hp and lb-ft of torque. The hybrid i-Force Max adds an electric motor and 1.87-kWh nickel-metal hydride battery for a total of 326-hp and 465 lb-ft of torque.

Towing capability grows from 5,000-lbs to 6,000-lbs.

The wheelbase of the new model has grown by 2.4-inches and overall length has grown by 4.7-inches compared to the old model. The longer overhangs mean the approach and departure angles are slightly degraded for the new 4Runner at 32 and 24 degrees respectively compared to 33 and 26 degrees for the four-wheel-drive fifth-gen. However, the nearly 20-inch shorter wheelbase compared to the Tacoma should give the 4Runner a big advantage over the pickup in breakover angle.

Both options come with the same eight-speed automatic transmission found in the Tacoma and Land Cruiser. As before, customers can choose a rear-wheel-drive, part-time four-wheel-drive or full-time four-wheel-drive system. Both 4WD systems have a two-speed transfer case and Toyota’s active traction control system to aid in sending torque to the wheels with the most grip. All variants get an automatic limited slip differential.

In addition to all of the usual trims found on Toyota trucks and SUVs, the 4Runner also offers the new Trailhunter trim. The Trailhunter includes ARB's Old Man Emu (OME) 2.5-inch forged shocks with remote reservoirs on the rear axle and a custom ARB roof rack. 33-inch Toyo Open Country all-terrain tires provide the grip along with two-inches of added front ground clearance and 1.5-inches in the rear.

Rock rails and high strength steel skid plates come standard on the Trailhunter along with a bronze grille and integrated 20-inch LED light bar. Toyota has also built in a 2400W inverter to power gear during overlanding adventures.
The 2025 4Runner goes on sale in fall 2024

Attachments

• IMG_3844.jpeg
    IMG_3844.jpeg
    555.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3842.jpeg
    IMG_3842.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • 1712673832245-bg.png
    1712673832245-bg.png
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • 1712673801025-11.png
    1712673801025-11.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 18

Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
I hope someone can chime in, but TGNA F has max tow rate of 12k lbs.

Sequoia caps at 9.5k with the twin turbo hybrid
550 caps at 9k twin turbo
LC250 and this 4R caps at 6k

is this a powertrain limitation primarily or also frame constrained due to the additional weight of the hybrid system?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Looks nice - a few weird lines that might look better in person or higher res pics. Kind of a bummer about the reduction in approach and departure angles, but maybe they figure people who really care will move up to the Land Cruiser (are they better on the LC?)?

Engines are exactly as we expected, and the rumors of it being very closely related to the Tacoma design were correct.