5th Generation Toyota RAV4 Master Thread

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I do not disagree with you, but I also do not think NX has ever really been a luxury vehicle. There is faux leather on the dash, yes, but Rav4 has that also. When you compare the NX to the GLC, X3 and Q5, it is very obvious that NX is just not in the same league and lacking the fit, finish, trim and design aesthetic that the Germans have. Rav4 is very nice for the mainstream segment, and NX is barely acceptable for the luxury segment, so there is overlap between them IMO.
I disagree Germans have much worse entry lever trims. Cloth seats, manual, small diesel or petrol engine around 130-160hp. Executive trim is very competitive with upper trims of germans. But keep in mind that Lexus is placed above in Europe than Germans and the line up is fully electrified. I think US gets all in all lower built quality vehicles. And luxury amenities are different by region for example healthcare is luxury is US but in Europe it is universal and free

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I disagree Germans have much worse entry lever trims. Cloth seats, manual, small diesel or petrol engine around 130-160hp. Executive trim is very competitive with upper trims of germans. But keep in mind that Lexus is placed above in Europe than Germans and the line up is fully electrified. I think US gets all in all lower built quality vehicles. And luxury amenities are different by region for example healthcare is luxury is US but in Europe it is universal and free

I gotcha. My view is US-specific, but I know there are much cheaper, highly de-contented trims in Europe of these models, whereas Lexus doesn't offer those.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I gotcha. My view is US-specific, but I know there are much cheaper, highly de-contented trims in Europe of these models, whereas Lexus doesn't offer those.
Yes everything D segement and smaller are offered with "everybody's trim". Even A6, 5 and E have cheap trims in american taste. And for exmple in Japan VW and Peugeot are marketed as luxury brands

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

I have highly specced 2015 A7 (FL) right now and its interior is really nothing special at all... like GS looks nicer to me.
A lot of it could be us looking at Germans from the sidelines and being used to how Lexus does things?

But otherwise, attention to detail to the lower doors of my Audi A7 whose price was €110k when new in Germany, is similar to new Corolla, but not better? It is things you notice after few months and when the shine peels off.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I have highly specced 2015 A7 (FL) right now and its interior is really nothing special at all... like GS looks nicer to me.
A lot of it could be us looking at Germans from the sidelines and being used to how Lexus does things?

But otherwise, attention to detail to the lower doors of my Audi A7 whose price was €110k when new in Germany, is similar to new Corolla, but not better? It is things you notice after few months and when the shine peels off.
I think Germans have taken opposite Evolution than Volvo and Mazda. They are becoming more accessible year by year. And it's not bad thing in my opinion AMD that's why they out sell Lexus 10 to 1 in Europe

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think Germans have taken opposite Evolution than Volvo and Mazda. They are becoming more accessible year by year. And it's not bad thing in my opinion AMD that's why they out sell Lexus 10 to 1 in Europe

sure... and Lexus should go there too.

But my €110k A7 does not feel like €110k car. Of course I got it at 55k miles so I got it for €24k before import fees, but there is a reason price drops so much.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly guys, the line between the mainstream and luxury carmakers is now approximately vanish

Toyota mainstream and have Century, which frankly speaking neither Benz nor BMW got a head 2 head answer for it

In the opposite side Benz has A class which was built on Nissan, Audi most of its vehicles are just Skoda , Seat and Volkswagen

Kia has the Stinger which is capable in both luxury and both

Ford Explorer for my taste is more perfect and luxury than its Lincoln brother , same goes to Highlander and RX

They need to define what makes a carmaker luxury and what makes it mainstream

Is it pricing, fit and finish, build quality if so it will be unfair not to call Mazda, Toyota & Kia example from few a luxury carmaker and give that same title to Volkswagen and Peugeot which from my view can never be a luxury makers

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
sure... and Lexus should go there too.

But my €110k A7 does not feel like €110k car. Of course I got it at 55k miles so I got it for €24k before import fees, but there is a reason price drops so much.
Lexus should bring smaller and cheaper cars for Europe so it won't ruin brands imago in other markets.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
As much as it sucks that USDM won't get the C-HR EV or UX300e. I am positive the RAV4 Prime will mop the floor with the PHV competition in US. It just has all the correct ingredients.

Yes.

I do wonder about rear drive capabilities (was battery limited before too) as well as charging speed. I hope they didnt gimp it there so they can save $200.

I would like plugin where I can have fast charging and charge it in 15m to 80%, since I cant charge at home, this would be crucial for me. Also since I cant charge at home, it would be really impossible to buy EV in the next 5-10 years until they can give us some big range in 30m charge, everywhere.

CT200h

Fan
Reactions
AC charging will likely not be more than about 7kw power
IT is very unlikely that the Rav4 Prime will support DCFC

the only PHEV I know of that supports DCFC is the Mitsubishi Outlander which supports Chademo

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
AC charging will likely not be more than about 7kw power
IT is very unlikely that the Rav4 Prime will support DCFC

the only PHEV I know of that supports DCFC is the Mitsubishi Outlander which supports Chademo

The JDM Prius Prime also supports CHAdeMO.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The JDM Prius Prime also supports CHAdeMO.

hopefully they are thinking ahead with Rav4 Prime.

Otherwise it is usably only for people who have home chargets, which is not a lot of European population.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Sit and drive both vehicles and tell me. Rav4 is not a luxury vehicle. Yes it is more luxurious than before, it is still not a luxury vehicle.

It is not a numbers game, you just have to sit in the vehicle and thats it. You can not find if something is luxury or not by looking at numbers or specs.

And of course, Rav4 will always make more sense than NX... even 2022/2021 NX. It will have more space and be $10k cheaper.
Rav4 Prime is very fast, probably faster than any NX. It is also faster than most X3 and GLCs sold, which in Europe are 7.5-8s 0-100kmh with 2.0d engines.

So it never makes sense to buy luxury vehicle by numbers.

I think I disagree on both points. I have already mentioned the current NX vs Rav4.

I do think that that once the NX is redesigned the RAV4 will once again become the "luxurious" leader. I dont understand how they would manage to screw up a redesign that would keep their economy product better then their "luxury" product.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
This might be old news, but I just went shopping with a(nother) friend who picked up a 2020 Rav4. The 2020 models got automatic stop/start as well as more sound deadening material.

Nice changes.

So how was it inside, when I tested hybrid it was pretty loud but not terribly loud... Supposedly petrols were worse.

On the other hand, Corolla hybrid hatch was pretty quiet, a lot more so than rav4

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
So how was it inside, when I tested hybrid it was pretty loud but not terribly loud... Supposedly petrols were worse.

On the other hand, Corolla hybrid hatch was pretty quiet, a lot more so than rav4

This is not a person who drives very aggressively, so we were primarily driving 30-45MPH with a short stint on the highway of around 65MPH. It was very quiet - I would have never thought it was loud as some have mentioned, and I am pretty sensitive to unnecessary cabin noise.