5th Generation Toyota RAV4 Master Thread

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
!!RAV4 PHV SPOTTED!!!
I hope Toyota will expand PHV line to NX, RX and Camry within a year.

Edit: Rav4 summer of 2020, Lexus 2021.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The RAV4 PHV is basically confirmed at this point. Only variable is whether there is a BEV version of it.

question is only when and what countries... within 5-6 years probably everywhere... before that who knows.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I think Rav4 is doing really great in Europe. To support my theory I present some stats: Toyota has sold 2653 Corollas in just 3 months (+130% compared to Auris sales in 2018) and easly took over no.1 spot from Qashqai. In July by itself Corolla held 7% market share. On the other hand Rav4 has sold 1178 (+100%) so far but I thought it is quite low for vehicle so good. I looked up and Rav4 has waiting list of one year! Toyota underestimated heavily demand in Europe.

Also for extra: Harrier got Stylenoir special edition model in Japan. I think model change is imminent for her and Lexus counterpart NX.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think Rav4 is doing really great in Europe. To support my theory I present some stats: Toyota has sold 2653 Corollas in just 3 months (+130% compared to Auris sales in 2018) and easly took over no.1 spot from Qashqai. In July by itself Corolla held 7% market share. On the other hand Rav4 has sold 1178 (+100%) so far but I thought it is quite low for vehicle so good. I looked up and Rav4 has waiting list of one year! Toyota underestimated heavily demand in Europe.

Also for extra: Harrier got Stylenoir special edition model in Japan. I think model change is imminent for her and Lexus counterpart NX.

What part of Europe are stats for? Out of my head, Corolla/Auris sold 120k last year and RAV4 did around 90k. Yaris more than 200k.

I might be downplaying it, might be more

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
What part of Europe are stats for? Out of my head, Corolla/Auris sold 120k last year and RAV4 did around 90k. Yaris more than 200k.

I might be downplaying it, might be more
Sorry forgot to write Finland. I don't know if Corolla is comparable with rest of WEurope but Rav4 is.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Sorry forgot to write Finland. I don't know if Corolla is comparable with rest of WEurope but Rav4 is.

yeah, they are both experiencing large sale gains in EU, but keep in mind they sold well last year too:

And that first few months there is a pent up demand... Rav4 is pretty similar to before, but Corolla at least here in Eastern Europe increased its price by a lot... we already have some discounts which is not usual.

Will1991

Reactions
All of this new TNGA based cars are coming with an enormous leap forward regarding their predecessor.

But, above all, I'm really happy to see Toyota finally expanding their PHEV range! Considering how much efficiency they managed to squeezed from Prius Prime... It almost goes head-to-head with electric cars :)

Motor

Expert
Reactions
2021 RAV4 Plug-in Powers Up for 2019 Los Angeles Auto Show
Toyota teased today what will become the most powerful RAV4 yet – the 2021 RAV4 plug-in. Bringing with it a new color, Supersonic Red, the teaser image of the RAV4 plug-in highlights the new PHV’s surprising performance capabilities. Unlike any other, the new RAV4 Plug-in will be celebrated by its spirited acceleration, nimble handling and impeccable style.

Toyota will debut the Toyota RAV4-plugin during the Los Angeles Auto Show media days, on November 20, 2019 at the Toyota booth in South Hall at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
RAV4_PlugIn_001-1500x1000.jpg

Toyota seems to have all of their bases covered with the RAV4.

Will1991

Reactions
A second Toyota PHEV a few days after a Lexus BEV concept! Things are looking up! :)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
most interesting part here is that it will be performance hybrid it seems... Most powerful Rav4 yet? Moreso than V6 Rav4?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
If they use the 10.5kWh Panasonic pack from the Corolla PHV they can get up to 205kW/275hp with help from E-Four. I expect 0-100km/h to be in the low 6s.

The Corolla PHV gets 55km from 10.5kWh. The RAV4 will be much heavier and less efficient. So I think it will have a larger pack to qualify for PHV subsidies (>50km) in China. Good news is 18650 packs are super easy to scale up.