5th Generation Toyota RAV4 Master Thread

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
One significant detail I completely overlooked...the Rav4 is now on TNGA K. This is huge, as this means that Rav4 has moved upmarket due to using a more premium platform. This definitely confirms much better ride comfort and stability then. This is amazing to think that the Rav4 now shares a platform with the Camry and Avalon. It no longer shares a platform with the Corolla, Prius, or Lexus NX, nor does it share the platform of the C-HR. I overlooked this so easily, and yet this is quite possibly the most significant detail about the new Rav4. It explains the multi-link rear suspension as compared to the double wishbone rear suspension for the previous gen current model. One could make a case that this now makes room in the lineup for a smaller sub-Rav4 practical CUV on TNGA C in the Toyota lineup.

This actually makes me even more interested in getting one.

Last edited:

telithos

Fan
Reactions
It looks nicer both inside and out. Also, cooled seats as on option on a mainstream Toyota product??? Looks like that's real leather in there too. The synthetic stuff does not breathe well at all. Nothing like having your car be frosty but your back still sweating. It'll probably have class-leading gas mileage with the new engines. Overall, seems to be a huge improvement over the outgoing model. :)

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
One significant detail I completely overlooked...the Rav4 is now on TNGA K. This is huge, as this means that Rav4 has moved upmarket due to using a more premium platform. This definitely confirms much better ride comfort and stability then. This is amazing to think that the Rav4 now shares a platform with the Camry and Avalon. It no longer shares a platform with the Corolla, Prius, or Lexus NX, nor does it share the platform of the C-HR. I overlooked this so easily, and yet this is quite possibly the most significant detail about the new Rav4. It explains the multi-link rear suspension as compared to the double wishbone rear suspension for the previous gen current model. One could make a case that this now makes room in the lineup for a smaller sub-Rav4 practical CUV on TNGA C in the Toyota lineup.
A fascinating observation. Transplanted to a future Lexus lineup, it seems that 2NX will also transition from the "C" to (TN)GA-K architecture, and perhaps allow for a new (TN)GA-C crossover line to slot in between UX and NX.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Overall, I can't believe how nice this is. The interior is nicer than some of the premium CUVs. Exterior is very sharp. All the right features and options. A grand slam by Toyota.

I have heard that in a year or two. a 2.0T version tuned by Gazoo is in the cards.

Reactions

This actually makes me even more interested in getting one.

Hold on a second, if that's the case they can slap in the Camry's V6 in there again. They should do that because if this SUV goes upmarket, it should command more powerful engines. Also there were a lot of people complaining at the omission of the V6 for the current generation.

Last edited:

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Toyota is about to make some serious money. This proves to me Toyota can still make a simple but elegant design. And this would definitely age well.
The nail in the coffin would be a Supra that matches or outperforms a Porsche without breaking the bank.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
A fascinating observation. Transplanted to a future Lexus lineup, it seems that 2NX will also transition from the "C" to (TN)GA-K architecture, and perhaps allow for a new (TN)GA-C crossover line to slot in between UX and NX.

I personally think it's unlikely we will see a crossover between the UX and NX, but who knows.

As for the 2NX, I would say moving to TNGA K would now have to be an obvious and almost required action. The Rav4 moving to TNGA K truly caught me off-guard, in a pleasant surprise kind of way. Given the market and product placement of the NX though, I believe it is easily more imperative and important that the 2NX moves to TNGA K as well, given the un-Lexus-like complaints and flaws that exist about the 1NX. It would make zero sense for the 2NX to move to TNGA C, with the 5th gen Rav4 being on TNGA K.

Overall, I can't believe how nice this is. The interior is nicer than some of the premium CUVs. Exterior is very sharp. All the right features and options. A grand slam by Toyota.

I have heard that in a year or two. a 2.0T version tuned by Gazoo is in the cards.

Hold on a second, if that's the case they can slap in the Camry's V6 in there again. They should do that because if this SUV goes upmarket, it should command more powerful engines. Also there were a lot of people complaining at the omission of the V6 for the current generation.

Excellent points, I agree. Given the significance of this being on TNGA K *and* the fact that torque vectoring AWD is now available, Toyota honestly has no excuses not to offer a more powerful engine variant. With the 3rd gen Rav4, the legitimate excuse was that the platform and chassis could not handle all that power, which was true. This is not the case for the new 5th gen.

What a home run. I applaud the aggressive hard lines, the anti CR-V...

But is this ia $40,000 RAV-4 loaded!?!

This is going to be a SERIOUS problem for the CR-V, because suddenly the CR-V has now become one of the weakest offerings in this segment.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Some unofficial bits of video have been floating around the internet about the new Rav4 with lots of little information from engineers, and I'm more excited than ever!

Here are some highlights:

- Toyota did extensive testing on many road surfaces and in many conditions. This is not surprising for Toyota, but they did high speed testing in snow, mud/dirt, and gravel/loose rock. They also did lots of off-road testing it seems. For a mass market Toyota unibody vehicle, this is surprising. The Rav4 in the testing footage looks SO planted in high speed snow and gravel conditions, I'm very excited!
- For doubters of the new torque vectoring AWD system, an engineer specifically mentions in the video the system provides high stability during on road driving, and maximizes traction during off road driving. The engineer mentions the system works based on both the driving conditions (in other words, how slow or fast or light or aggressively you may be driving), and the road surface conditions. So obviously the system is not only based on when wheel slip is detected. The system actually improves handling and increases performance on road. The video also specifically mentions excellent cornering performance.
- The E-Four system on the hybrid model makes the Rav4 act more like a rear wheel drive vehicle due to the greatly increased torque of the rear motor. That is tied to an Auto (electronic) LSD system for situations with tricky traction.
- The development concept for the XA50 Rav4 placed a high priority on tough reliability for rough road driving. I really hope this means that generous use of body adhesives was implemented. Otherwise after hundreds of thousands of kms of light or moderate rough road and off road driving the unibody may not handle the stresses. Such problems have been seen in the past on unibody vehicles from other automakers, like the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
- The Rav4 starting from this generation has a new development concept that will lead future generations of the Rav4 for the next 25 years.
- The hybrid model is capable of over 1,000 km (over 620 miles) range on a single tank. This was previously Prius territory, just amazing!
- Despite the increased ground clearance, the aerodynamics were improved for better fuel economy and for very stable straight line driving.
- Some markets will have available Trailer Sway Control and heated windshield washer nozzles. Trailer Sway Control is extremely rare to see on any unibody vehicles. It is typically only offered on body-on-frame vehicles.

If that rumor ends up being true about a higher-powered engine being offered in the future, Toyota will have big trouble keeping enough stock. Even as it is, these will fly off the lot. I predict that aside from being a serious problem for the CR-V, this will pose a problem for every single competitor in the segment, including Jeep as well. With every bit of new information that comes out, this just further cements what an absolute hands down home run product this is.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
it is several official videos together.

btw, dont be dissapointed to hear that new e-four has 7hp motor. Due to auto-lsd not available before, it should work significantly better now.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
In 2017 the Rav4 outsold the Camry. It appears the Rav4 will do it again in 2018 and maybe beyond...

As of August 2018:
Camry = 235,247
Rav4 = 281,707

As of 2017
Camry = 387,081
Rav4 = 407,594

Reactions
Since most units will come from Canada, and there's tariffs likely coming if the two sides aren't agreeing, I wonder the effect on US pricing since the RAV is the most anticipated product coming.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Since most units will come from Canada, and there's tariffs likely coming if the two sides aren't agreeing, I wonder the effect on US pricing since the RAV is the most anticipated product coming.

actually, most of Rav4's come from Japan these days :p.

Also, I dont believe for a second that there will be increase in tariffs between Canada and USA.

Reactions
actually, most of Rav4's come from Japan these days :p.

Also, I dont believe for a second that there will be increase in tariffs between Canada and USA.
Most of the RAVs sold in the US are from Canada, and the hybrids were pretty much Japan. And yeah, the US and Canada just struck an agreement on trade after I wrote the post.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Most of the RAVs sold in the US are from Canada, and the hybrids were pretty much Japan. And yeah, the US and Canada just struck an agreement on trade after I wrote the post.

i thought so too... but since i often check sales sheet, actually they are mostly japan.

In July, 41,093 Rav4's were sold, and 16,890 were from Canada, rest from Japan.

They are expanding production for 2019 model in Ontario and plus moving Corolla to the USA.

Toyota Motor Corp. is set to announce a $1.4 billion (US$1.1 billion) expansion of its Canadian operations to build the RAV4 sport utility vehicle, a bet on the nation’s manufacturing amid a cloud of uncertainty from ongoing NAFTA talks.

Toyota, the world’s second-biggest carmaker, has already announced it’ll move assembly of the Corolla compact to the U.S. to make room for RAV4 output.

This was from May... so i would guess only then it will be mostly from NA.