5th Generation Toyota Prius

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
More bZ'es heading to Europe, likely in limited quantities.

Europe is primary market for BZ, so not as limited in quanities as US or Japan. Most of their projected sales numbers of EVs are based on projected European sales. I wonder how will that work out.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I'm still skeptical about the viability of E3 as a HV/PHV/BEV platform.

plugins and hybrids will be fine, since everyone else quit on them and Toyota is only one doing plugins that make any sense.

Problem is that plugin sales % are going down in favor of BEVs, but for that mid step, Toyota is ready. They will quickly have everything in PHEV form by 2025 it seems in Europe.

germany october 22
BEVs: 308,254 – up 15% at 14.8% market share
PHEVs: 247,711 – down 6% at 11.9% market share
Total: 555,965 – up 4% at 26.8% market share

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Man I really want one lol. It's so funny how the Prius has caught the eye of so many enthusiasts as well.. my friend is thinking about trading in his IS-F for the new Prius already haha.

NVlaar

Follower
Reactions
I have watched pretty much all the reviews on Youtube and read most of the comments on forums and I have yet to see a negative comment on this new Prius except some from jealous Elon boys 🤣. The entire planet is going crazy on the Prius LOL.

That is what we get when TMC really put in their effort. Over to you Lexus give us that TTV8 so that we can die in peace.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Man I really want one lol. It's so funny how the Prius has caught the eye of so many enthusiasts as well.. my friend is thinking about trading in his IS-F for the new Prius already haha.

it looks good, that is why. It is also good deal for the price as long as you dont measure vehicles by size. That crap of Corolla Cross will always win size vs price ratio.

It is not IS-F or any IS competitor though. It will probably drive similar and or better to hybrid Corolla, which everyone likes, but that does not drive like rwd Lexus. TNGA drives well, but it is not a premium vehicle and you notice it.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
it looks good, that is why. It is also good deal for the price as long as you dont measure vehicles by size. That crap of Corolla Cross will always win size vs price ratio.

It is not IS-F or any IS competitor though. It will probably drive similar and or better to hybrid Corolla, which everyone likes, but that does not drive like rwd Lexus. TNGA drives well, but it is not a premium vehicle and you notice it.
I don't think that his friend is expecting an IS-F replacement. His friend is probably a little disillusioned about paying for premium fuel to feed an 18mpg V8 that probably mostly just sits in traffic. When he does find a good road where he can have a little fun, he's the 4th car backed up behind Aunt Edith driving exactly 5mph under speed limit in her Subaru Crosstrek and there are no passing zones to be found. It feels cruel in some ways. That's the downside of daily driving a fun, fast car. It just feels like an expensive, excessive way to get to and from work and the opportunities to stretch its legs are few and far between. A peppy Prius, when put in that duty cycle, is going to have super cheap operating costs and will basically drive itself.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
"It looks good" is pretty much the deciding factor for people
Everything else is trying to backfill an emotional reaction with ex post rationale

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
oh so also interior lighting will show information, like if you can start at traffic light, it will flash, i assume it also flashes for emergency issues.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
If that really mattered Aston Martin wouldn't exist
It matters, that is why Aston is almost extinct. Even the Mercedes powered SUV is not enough with its old gen A Class infotainment system. The problem is that for the price, there are faster cars, they is why they don't sell. Times have changed, good or bad, just have to deal with it. That is why Toyota cars are getting faster, they have to. The main reason Tesla is so successful it because "fast" in the mind of the average buyer. Many Tesla owners, it is for the first time in their buying experience that they bought a "fast" car, as if such a thing did not exist before electric.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Sales for Aston are nearly double prior years. Mercedes SUVs are selling fine too and most I see are lower engined models. Its why their SUVs are taking off. People want but cant live with their sports cars so they get the SUV. It's that thing I mentioned of backfilling emotion with reason so you're not constantly explaining yourself to people.

Tesla acceleration was just under 6 seconds in the first roadster, and repeated straight line acceleration is something they've only just recently starting coming to terms with. You could limp mode your Tesla sh**box pretty easily pushing it too hard repeatedly.

Most teslas on the road aren't even the fast ones. People bought them the same reason people bought early days VR headsets and smartphones. There's always a leading edge of consumers and this applied the tech hype approach to cars and crossed markets.

It's image and looks first and foremost for most buyers, who are not on average the sharpest tools in the shed.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
https://bestcarweb.jp/news/scoop/584244

BestCar now reports a Prius PHV GRMN coming next year. The GRMN is strange because it's the top of GR line for limited-production track spec GR cars. I doubt the Prius can be a GRMN grade product no matter how hard they try. I don't think this will even be a GR product because there's no space in the chassis for powertrain upgrades. It will be a GR Sports at best.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
https://bestcarweb.jp/news/scoop/584244

BestCar now reports a Prius PHV GRMN coming next year. The GRMN is strange because it's the top of GR line for limited-production track spec GR cars. I doubt the Prius can be a GRMN grade product no matter how hard they try. I don't think this will even be a GR product because there's no space in the chassis for powertrain upgrades. It will be a GR Sports at best.
While entirely unlikely... a G16 would fit. It would be the question of the HV transaxle handling the torque. Not terribly difficult to tune down an engine, though. 290hp wouldn't be out of the question with an HV G16 drivetrain and still getting 45mpg when just commuting.