5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Sad to hear that the 2.4L turbo isn't refined. Idk if that's because he might have been pushing it or it's just buzzy like the 2.5L. The 8AR engine wasn't this buzzy. Why is the new gen engines from Toyota so unrefined vs older 4 cylinders. Sad that BMW makes a smoother turbo 4 cylinder than Toyota who's engines are known to be smooth

It's true. B48 is the class leader in terms of noise, acc and refinement. Savagegeese disliked the 2.4L a lot to the point where he thinks it's basically no different to other economy 4 popper.
Lexus was way too behind in turbo engines.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Sad to hear that the 2.4L turbo isn't refined. Idk if that's because he might have been pushing it or it's just buzzy like the 2.5L. The 8AR engine wasn't this buzzy. Why is the new gen engines from Toyota so unrefined vs older 4 cylinders. Sad that BMW makes a smoother turbo 4 cylinder than Toyota who's engines are known to be smooth
The T24 is not only a downgrade in NVH over the 2GR but also the 8AR. Toyota did a very lousy job with this engine. Not powerful, not efficient, not smooth, I have no idea how they can mess this up so badly. The only thing it's good at is having a ton of torque...if the turbo is in good mood to do it's job. And the new 8AT also shifts rough.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Took the 500h out to the big C&O car show here. Was honestly shocked by how many people checked it out. Was even more shocked young people didn’t completely ignore it. It was great talking to people. It seemed like the older people knew about it losing the V-6 and didn’t like that. The younger people liked knowing it was a turbo hybrid. Most have zero idea it has direct 4 and 6 piston 2 piece brakes up front. What didn’t surprise me was people talking about the nose but what did surprise me is most said it looked better than in pics. Almost no one likes the front in pics.

And yes that is some sort of mobile tank behind it lol.6960B33E-FC7B-46BB-B72E-3A5B92960A9A.jpegCF92D3C9-3444-4AAF-8F22-AD4051115479.jpeg8DE7BCD8-C2EC-4764-B868-5691D8371538.jpeg50484F09-D226-4A77-93C7-6A861520A3A6.jpeg1781A156-9068-45B1-A785-6FD6D2087D99.jpeg

mikeavelli

Reactions
It's true. B48 is the class leader in terms of noise, acc and refinement. Savagegeese disliked the 2.4L a lot to the point where he thinks it's basically no different to other economy 4 popper.
Lexus was way too behind in turbo engines.

SG is a Honda fanboy. Period.

I have yet to have an issue with this 500h powetrain. Smooth and maybe too quiet. With the hybrid mix there is absolutely no lag. They nailed throttle response. The only time you are reminded it’s a 4 is when you floor it. It makes a buzzy sound but it’s not loud at all. The 3.5 V-6 in the RX didn’t sound any better and throttle response now way worse.

I guess i need to drive the base cars again.

The 3.5tt V-6 is maybe the last V-6 I assume. It wasn’t going in the RX.

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
Best handling RX by far. This does not have the grippy Michelin Pilot Sports I had in Cali. This has All Season Goodyears. Big difference. Not sure how the Michelins are packaged.

Refinement for all RX’s is good, F Sport Performance and Luxury packages have some higher end treatments inside.

The RX 500h has a very peppy gas pedal. I love that. It wants to move. Great throttle response. It takes off quick and is more than enough for most traffic. Obviously not overpowering.

Negatives are again the seats need more adjustments, a physical knob to change into sport (you haft to go into Lexus Interface) and the gauges while digital are meh. Really miss the F Sport/F circular gauges.

Yeah I didn't care for the having to go into the interface to change into sport mode either. I want to be able to do it quickly when I need it.

mikeavelli

Reactions
No knob. It’s actually the first thing my wife noticed when she drove “how do i put it into sport”. It also doesn’t default thete (unless i’m missing it) so you have to go into Lexus Interface to do it every time you start the car. Mind you it’s not hard but seems not just less intuitive but less eventful.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
No knob. It’s actually the first thing my wife noticed when she drove “how do i put it into sport”. It also doesn’t default thete (unless i’m missing it) so you have to go into Lexus Interface to do it. Mind you it’s not hard but seems not just less intuitive but less eventful.
Thats nuts.

Nearly 100% of the time i switch modes i am already driving.

Seems crazy for the first FSP SUV.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Thats nuts.

Nearly 100% of the time i switch modes i am already driving.

Seems crazy for the first FSP SUV.

I am similar, I change depending on circumstances. I wonder can I add it to the steering knob controls now.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Voice prompts don’t work… so have to manually do it..

Normal screen is first..

Second screen is what I drove in Cali, Chicago and here.. I do not like it at all to be quite frank. I did not like it so much I figured out you can change it lol.

The last pic is the other option for Sport.

One cool thing about it is when you use paddle shifters some red shows on the screen to show you shifted. Need to take a video somehow.

123621F2-7EEC-4BDF-A498-926E5F41B566.jpeg146DE5AC-5FE7-4A8C-952F-AB57042AFB1C.jpeg6E2AA91A-D005-4FA3-B4AB-C2C3C6C30D63.jpeg

mikeavelli

Reactions

2BAD182D-5596-4621-8EB4-49A92D0D706B.jpeg