5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So today I became one of the lucky few in the Boston area to test drive the first RX500h demo car that arrived last week. After a 30-min or so drive, I now understand the positioning of this product better and appreciate it a bit more.

>> First, Performance because it's FSP. It's unmistakable RX. What I mean is it drives exactly the way you expect a RX would drive: comfort and smoothness first, speed second. It may not be a fair judgement since the demo car was at a low SOC and full 366hp was only available for a few seconds at most during the drive. But the way it accelerates just doesn't say "I'm a performance SUV", but rather "the same RX just a bit faster". And with low SOC I couldn't feel the full benefit of the Direct4 AWD system. The car would still lean backwards heavily under acceleration. But I did feel it straightening the car when doing a 90-degree turn with heavy throttle.

I would say on average the RX450h+ would actually be the better performing one because it will almost always have enough SOC to get full output. The RX500h only has 1.3kWh battery and it really needs 2kWh+ for more consistent performance.

>> Second, NVH. This is a side-grade of RX450h and that's a compliment. The old RX450h was actually one of the smoothest and quietest Lexus made in the past decade. In Japan it's stealing sales from the LS and preferred by many executives. Sound insulation and overall ride quality are top grade. And now I understand why the T24 is tuned as is: it's meant to be paired with a hybrid system that does torque fill and load balancing to smooth out all the vibrations and harshness. This is the best parallel hybrid system I've ever driven. Far far more sophisticated than the glorified start-stop systems found on German cars. Like a classic THS, you barely feel the ICE starting even under heavy acceleration. And with torque fill the powertrain does not feel jerky at all, completely different from the NX/RX350 with the same engine.

>> Exterior. This is definitely a car that looks better in real life. In Caviar the hump doesn't stand out. The front overhang also doesn't bother me as much compared to looking at pictures. The new Copper color is so popular that the entire allocation for the next 6 months on this color (including with other powertrains) is sold out. The salesperson said it's the best color he's ever seen on a Lexus in a long time and the overall design of the RX is centered around this one color.

>> Interior. I originally disliked the RX interior design because it just doesn't look modern. But I think they reached a good balance between design, tech and usability. I've seen so many comments the touch-sensitive HUD buttons being hard to use. I actually got used to it in 10 minutes, and my guests who rode along all commented how "high-tech" the HUD feels. The other thing is the front cross traffic alert thing that bothered people because "it's too sensitive and annoying". No it's not! You are meant to keep a safe distance to the stop sign, not having the nose of the car going over the line. Then pull forward a bit and look at the traffic again before accelerating. If not, wait! The FCTA is designed to work with a good driver who always keeps a safe margin when trying to make a blind 90-degree turn. When it blinks it's not safe, when it's clear it's safe, as simple as that. People who complain about FCTA are the same ones who complain ACC keep too much safe distance: you are supposed to do that! People hate ADAS because they don't want to admit they are misbehaving drivers.

My biggest complaint is how useless the power-folding rear seats are. They took forever to fold up/down. So don't choose it! The trunk also feels way smaller than what I expected from a SUV of this size.

>> Price and positioning. From what I was told, all 2023 RX500h FSP are single spec: fully loaded at $72k MSRP. There is no base model being produced at all and custom orders are no longer available from 2023 onwards. So Lexus really puts this product in a highly competitive territory with very good alternatives from other brands. But they are apparently confident enough and the 500h is sold out in the entire Northeast USA area for at least 4 months.

According to the salesperson, the RX500h FSP is actually not a main upgrade target for existing RX owners. But rather, they are mostly people who wanted an IS500 FSP or RC-F but ultimately want a more practical car because life is complicated. F car buyers are not a very small minority as it's commonly believed and a considerable amount of Lexus buyers absolutely care about performance. The problem is not current F cars don't have the horsepower, but the practicality. People who left Lexus to Benz wasn't bothered by the fact RC-F has 30hp less than the C63, but because Benz has GLC63. In other words, many Lexus buyers really want a F-badged SUV for a long time. The RX500h FSP is exactly that.

>> Final thoughts. Do I like the RX500h FSP? Kind of. I understand why it's designed and engineered the way it is. The data-driven approach by Lexus is likely to succeed and there's no doubt it will outsell the entire F-lineup in the past two decades combined. But for that price it's absolutely not worth it. But I'm sure Lexus will adapt to market conditions and start making more affordably optioned SKUs next year.

>> Other things. I inquired about the GX550 (what I would actually buy if I decided to spend $60-70k on a Lexus SUV) but the dealer has not heard anything about it this year. So likely it will arrive at the end of 2023 but go on sale in 2024. We all know the dealership revolt story that forced Lexus to develop a full-size 3-row, but the lesser known back story is they also fought for the survival of the GX. To many dealers it has become a core part of their lineup that they will lose guaranteed customer base if GX was cancelled. It serves as the "safe option" for a large group of customers who do not research heavily into cars and get overwhelmed by all the features they never need.

And finally, I saw just how excited they are with the TX. The salesperson just couldn't stop talking about how big and luxurious it will be ("bigger than the Sequoia and more luxurious than the LX", that feels like a very strong statement). The story of how hard they fought for that product to be made and how the RX-L was an utter flop. It's almost like he was pushing everyone to put a deposit on a TX ASAP. And no wonder they are so excited because a lot of people must have already done that.

mikeavelli

Reactions
According to the salesperson, the RX500h FSP is actually not a main upgrade target for existing RX owners. But rather, they are mostly people who wanted an IS500 FSP or RC-F but ultimately want a more practical car because life is complicated. F car buyers are not a very small minority as it's commonly believed and a considerable amount of Lexus buyers absolutely care about performance. The problem is not current F cars don't have the horsepower, but the practicality. People who left Lexus to Benz wasn't bothered by the fact RC-F has 30hp less than the C63, but because Benz has GLC63. In other words, many Lexus buyers really want a F-badged SUV for a long time. The RX500h FSP is exactly that.

Nice write up! This point is a great one. I’m on week two with the RX and unlike most I am really pushing this thing around. And as much as I shouldn’t like it or have fun in it, I am. I honestly am. In a RX. It didn’t matter what mods you added to the previous generation it didn’t drive anything like the 500h…

Then it hit me yesterday…because I agree it isn’t fast fast. 0-60 claims seem to be in the 5.7-6.0 range. It is well matched to the direct-4 system. The RX never feels out of control even with the gas floored. It reminds me of something…..

2013 GS F Sport with rear steer.

This is EXACTLY what the RX has turned into. Which is astounding. It also shows performance while better for the RX is simply behind in regards to acceleration. And as you stated for someone that’s wants or needs something with more utility and wants something sporty without jumping brand, this fits the bill. I’ve seen a couple people online pick up a 500h to match their IS 500.

I do insist get your 500h with the Michelin Pilot Sports, The goodyears on this one isn’t sticky enough. Likely fine for the 350 but not this car.

Reactions
Nice write up! This point is a great one. I’m on week two with the RX and unlike most I am really pushing this thing around. And as much as I shouldn’t like it or have fun in it, I am. I honestly am. In a RX. It didn’t matter what mods you added to the previous generation it didn’t drive anything like the 500h…

Then it hit me yesterday…because I agree it isn’t fast fast. 0-60 claims seem to be in the 5.7-6.0 range. It is well matched to the direct-4 system. The RX never feels out of control even with the gas floored. It reminds me of something…..

This is EXACTLY what the RX has turned into. Which is astounding. It also shows performance while better for the RX is simply behind in regards to acceleration. And as you stated for someone that’s wants or needs something with more utility and wants something sporty without jumping brand, this fits the bill. I’ve seen a couple people online pick up a 500h to match their IS 500.

I do insist get your 500h with the Michelin Pilot Sports, The goodyears on this one isn’t sticky enough. Likely fine for the 350 but not this car.

To me this feels like if the RX500h sells really well then we could probably have a slew of F products in the future. Be it a sedan, coupe, or SUV.

It's kind of sad to think that Lexus' further investment in F would be dependent on a SUV but whatever it takes I guess.

mikeavelli

Reactions
To me this feels like if the RX500h sells really well then we could probably have a slew of F products in the future. Be it a sedan, coupe, or SUV.

It's kind of sad to think that Lexus' further investment in F would be dependent on a SUV but whatever it takes I guess.

The key to me is the hybrid and direct 4 tech. It adds immediate throttle response and impressive handling. I would like to see that bundled with more vehicles. The RZ will have direct 4 and slightly faster than the 500h. Would hypothetically love this in a LC.. would be amazing…. I assume the next ES gets this too…

It’s hard to deny the people have spoken. Lexus still doesn’t have a SUV “coupe”. SUVs have taken over and there is no going back. I think a RX F would be a nice addition but I doubt it comes.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Put it in the NX

I need to get behind a 450h+ again but even with torque vectoring I don’t recall it being nearly as fun as the RX 500.

I assume it can’t be retrofitted so that would be a next generation add?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Anyone have views on the hybrid packaging? Seems designed to be used in more than just the RX.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions

Good to hear they are finally making the right move, but shouldn't it suppose to be like this a generation ago...considering how old the GS F-sport actually was?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Good to hear they are finally making the right move, but shouldn't it suppose to be like this a generation ago...considering how old the GS F-sport actually was?
Technology back then did not allow Direct4 to be made affordable and at reasonable weight. The motors, batteries and power electronics are almost half the weight compared to what's in the RX450h.

I said before at this stage Dual-boost Hybrid does not have a power density advantage over THS. But DBH has better scalability than THS. DBH can get to 400kW if Lexus wants to, but THS is limited at 300kW at most.

Like with their BEVs, their Hybrids are also heavily held back by batteries. The industry has moved on to 10Ah Li-ion cells which combine into 2-3kWh batteries with 70-100kW max discharge power. TMC still use the same capacity as they did 20 years ago. With merely 1.3kWh and less than 600Wh usable, the RX500h can deplete its energy in 30s.

Last edited:

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Is it a big deal if the energy depletes in 30 seconds, though? You're at 100mph in probably 14 seconds in the RX. I expect that top speed is electronically limited to 140-155. Pulling a long grade, you aren't asking for the entire 360hp (or even close to it, TBH), so there should be headroom where the engine can maintain the SOC of the battery. If people were tracking their RXs, it might be a concern, but for the use case of an RX, I don't think it will be problematic.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
My feeling with this car is it deserves a 400h rating at most. A IS350 is much much faster. Even for fair comparison, I drove the ChDM LS350 before and that car was still faster while being heavier and less powerful.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
My feeling with this car is it deserves a 400h rating at most. A IS350 is much much faster. Even for fair comparison, I drove the ChDM LS350 before and that car was still faster while being heavier and less powerful.

I've mentioned this before but the nomenclature has me worried for the TX since iirc that will be 500 and 550... With i4s a higher number than either LC or LS.

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
So, should I get a RX 500h or a Cayenne e-hybrid or something else?

Bare in mind the tax rules in my country strongly favour electric, then chargeable hybrids and heavily punnish petrol as well as self-charging hybrids from Lexus.

Pros and cons would be nice.