5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
While most of the rumors we have now seem to be swirling about the NX and LF-1, it's already time to start thinking about the 5RX and what Lexus might deliver.

We're relatively sure it will be on TNGA-K, as the RAV4 and Highlander are, but there are some interesting things to consider with configurations and engines.

Configurations:
The 4RX comes in both two row and three row versions, but the three row has been ridiculed by media and some shoppers for being practically useless. It's hard to see Lexus ditching their tried and true two row configuration, so will they...
  • Keep the two row format and leave the third row to the LF-1/GX/LX?
  • Keep the two row format and re-engineer/keep the RX-L to be more useful next time? If so, does the LF-1 only come in two rows?
  • Move the RX towards being a core three row CUV?

Engines:
This is the area that is most interesting to me for a few reasons. I'll go ahead and say that I don't think another 300hp motor is going to be enough for the RX in 2023 and beyond. Outside of enthusiasts, I hear from real buyers who find it slow and uninspiring after driving an X5, GLE and other competitors, and this is the right time for the RX to depart from the Highlander and go upmarket. Some engine options that will likely happen:
  • RX 300h: Potentially 2.0L I4 or 2.5L I4 hybrid
  • RX 350h: Uprated 2.5L hybrid with ~250hp from Highlander Hybrid
  • RX 350 V6: Could the GR continue again in the RX? It did for the Highlander, the RX's closest relative
  • RX 350 I4 T: Very possible that we could see a turbocharged 4 cylinder as the "core" RX gas engine
  • RX 450h: I think there has to be a stronger hybrid option for the RX than just the 350h. Theoretically, mating the new 2.X turbo 4 cylinder to batteries - like the upcoming 3.5L TT V6 + hybrid - could net something in the realm of 340-360hp for a "450h" hybrid.
  • RX 450h+: Similar to RAV4 Prime or suspected NX 450h+
  • Could there be an RX F?
What do you all think will happen?

Will1991

Reactions
I'm not seeing Lexus going down to a 300 moniker, it would be very very very slow given it's size/weight...

My best guess would be:
  • RX350, the same I4 TT, more torque than GR V6, and it's 3 years more for a new RX, it will be a dinosaur...
  • RX600/500, the V6 TT from LS, a bit upgraded being around 6 years old for a 5RX (to help this one, we already have a LX600 trademark)
  • RX500h, 3.5L V6 Hybrid from LS500h, upgraded to a bigger LiOn battery pack and beefier electric motors, as it will be around 6 years old powertrain for a 5RX
  • RX600h+, a PHEV with at least 400hp, given it's size the same powertrain expected to be on the NX450h+ (RAV4 Prime) wouldn't do the required electric range (35 miles) to get California state tax help rebate. Also, I'm betting Toyota realized people will happily trade some efficiency for power (going away from Prius Prime type PHEV's to go for RAV4 Prime PHEV's)
  • RX F, V8 TT, but I'm betting it's pending LF-1 success

I'm betting a standard 3-row SUV, with a perfect boot floor when it's only for 5.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
What do you all think will happen?

• RX 350h: Uprated 2.5L hybrid with ~250hp from Highlander Hybrid - Worldwide
  • RX 350 V6: Could the GR continue again in the RX? It did for the Highlander, the RX's closest relative - US/Russia ,maybe?
  • RX 350 I4 T: Very possible that we could see a turbocharged 4 cylinder as the "core" RX gas engine - China/US/Russia/Japan/Australia
  • RX 450h: I think there has to be a stronger hybrid option for the RX than just the 350h. Theoretically, mating the new 2.X turbo 4 cylinder to batteries - like the upcoming 3.5L TT V6 + hybrid - could net something in the realm of 340-360hp for a "450h" hybrid. - Worldwide
  • RX 450h+: Similar to RAV4 Prime or suspected NX 450h+ - Or maybe 500h with "e-axle"?
  • Could there be an RX F? - certainly F-Sport with 2.4t?

I wonder about 450h with 2.4t though as price of 450h powertrain is already very high. I would say what if they simply add 500h+ and forget about 450h? Make it 50 mile PHEV with 120hp at the back, for the total of 360hp? By the time it is out, there will be even more chargers everywhere and it actually might be cheaper than adding a turbo powertrain... and more efficient. Only problem is that a limp mode will be a 8s 0-60 car, haha.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
  • RX 350 V6: Could the GR continue again in the RX? It did for the Highlander, the RX's closest relative
Will the 2GR V6 live on to see life in the 5RX or will a new, (naturally-aspirated) Dynamic Force V6 (or new turbocharged I4) replace it? The 2GR is closing in on 20-years old (members on Club Lexus have been complaining for years that the GR engines are ancient). I am thinking that it carried over in the new Highlander due to a lack of a suitable Dynamic Force engine as replacement.

Are you really expecting a transversely-mounted V8? It has been done before but not by Toyota. That would be a heavy and wide engine to place ahead of the front axle.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Unlike the previous generation, this time RX and RX-L should be two relatively independent projects. The packaging of the gen4 RX hurt the RX-L causing it to have a barely usable third row and being very long. I think the Gen5 RX will be based on the upcoming Venza (a dedicated 2-row, probably sharing the 2820mm wheelbase as the Camry), while the Gen2 RX-L will be based on the Highlander (a dedicated 3-row with 2850mm wheelbase).

As for powertrain options, it would be 350h, 350, and 450h+ with the 450h+ very possible of getting the E-Axle. The 350 could be 2.4T for international and 3.5 for US market. The problem with RX300 is not that it's slow because it's sold in markets with slow traffic anyway. The problem is the 8AR-FTS is failing to meet a new wave of emissions regulations.

My best guess would be:
  • RX350, the same I4 TT, more torque than GR V6, and it's 3 years more for a new RX, it will be a dinosaur...
  • RX600/500, the V6 TT from LS, a bit upgraded being around 6 years old for a 5RX (to help this one, we already have a LX600 trademark)
  • RX500h, 3.5L V6 Hybrid from LS500h, upgraded to a bigger LiOn battery pack and beefier electric motors, as it will be around 6 years old powertrain for a 5RX
  • RX600h+, a PHEV with at least 400hp, given it's size the same powertrain expected to be on the NX450h+ (RAV4 Prime) wouldn't do the required electric range (35 miles) to get California state tax help rebate. Also, I'm betting Toyota realized people will happily trade some efficiency for power (going away from Prius Prime type PHEV's to go for RAV4 Prime PHEV's)
So you are saying the RX will move to GA-N/L?

Will1991

Reactions
Please note this is only my opinion from what I've read, not having any insider information.

Are you really expecting a transversely-mounted V8? It has been done before but not by Toyota. That would be a heavy and wide engine to place ahead of the front axle.

I think 5RX will have transverse mounted engines (see my next comment).

Yes, I think so, to GA-N. All the competition has grown in size a bit, and since I'm also betting 2NX will grow to be something between RAV4/HighLander (similar to the new Harrier), it would make sense.

For me the next Lexus generation will be:
NX -> GA-K
RX -> GA-N
LF-1 -> GA-L (we already saw some rumors as being LS based)

With next generation LX having a yet to be revealed platform.

Given this and what we already have in this platform and other rumors, that's why I mentioned this monikers:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Unlike the previous generation, this time RX and RX-L should be two relatively independent projects. The packaging of the gen4 RX hurt the RX-L causing it to have a barely usable third row and being very long. I think the Gen5 RX will be based on the upcoming Venza (a dedicated 2-row, probably sharing the 2820mm wheelbase as the Camry), while the Gen2 RX-L will be based on the Highlander (a dedicated 3-row with 2850mm wheelbase).

As for powertrain options, it would be 350h, 350, and 450h+ with the 450h+ very possible of getting the E-Axle. The 350 could be 2.4T for international and 3.5 for US market. The problem with RX300 is not that it's slow because it's sold in markets with slow traffic anyway. The problem is the 8AR-FTS is failing to meet a new wave of emissions regulations.

Their most important car wont be based on two less important cars, IMHO.

Also, lets hope they will replace 8AR-FTS instead of making it comply with emissions.... which i am sure they will do since that 2.4t is replacing it.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I expect no changes for the RX, just as the ES. Just as the ES does not compete with A6, 5 Series, E Class, so will the RX not compete with Q7, X5 and GLE (or latest Explorer that went RWD).

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
RX gets bigger to justify third row, becomes downmarket alternative to giant 7 seater behemoth Escalade fighter LX equivalent, while the LF1 and GX are two row, more niche class vehicles (hardcore offroad refinement and high end luxury SUV coupe respectively).

NX becomes slightly up market through different trims and general attractiveness of the offering. Pulls away from the UX a bit, starts to eat into prior RX customer base who want a reasonably priced attractive SUV from Lexus without dishing for the LF1.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
All this speculation is tiresome. Fact is Lexus is boring compared to Toyota. LC and LS are nice, but LC F and LS 600h can't come soon enough, because these cars do seem forgotten. Really no surprises with RX whether 5 or 7 seater.

It is about the old GX and LX that we are all wondering about and how the LF-1 fits in there.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Will1991 , RX & GA-N won't match, not feasible and not logic unless there will be for example a TX as FF or FR but designed as a real 3 row and the RX kept as a real 2 row

Only then it will be fit nicely with the TNGA-N as the GX or LQ or whatever the production LF-1 limitless name

mikeavelli

Reactions
I think we will see NX sales grow next go round and RX sales tale off a bit as it gets more expensive. I fully expect the RX to grow significantly to better be an option to other 7 seat SUV's. I'm thinking there might not even be a L, just one 7 seat RX and then a 5 seat NX.

We had a RX F-Sport that was loaded and the same 3.5 engine is totally uninspiring. The 450h is by far the RX to get. But we are not most buyers, most buy a base RX with premium package as its reliable, comfy and stylish. I'm sure they will nail it again.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
In the logical world and after genesis even ford choose the FR the SUV line up shall be

LX = Bentayga / Cullinan / X7 / GLS / RR Vogue
GX = Urus / Q8 / X6-X8 / GLE coupe / RR Sport
TX = Navigator / Escalade
RX = Aviator / X5 / GLE / Cayenne / RR Velar
NX = X3-X4 / GLC / Q5 / Corsair / RR Evoque
UX = X1-X2 / GLA / Q3

and LX, GX, TX, RX, NX shall be come with GA-L / GA-N

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-10-08-lexus-rx-450h-trademark.jpg

Lexus has registered the RX 450h+ trademark in Europe, suggesting a plug-in hybrid version of the brand’s best-selling model is in the works.
The RX 450h+ will almost certainly be powered by the same 2.5-liter four-cylinder plug-in hybrid engine found in the Toyota RAV4 Prime. This powertrain is rated at 302 horsepower, with an estimated 90 MPGe and a 0-60mph time of 5.8 seconds.
Lexus has also registered a European trademark for the NX 450h+ nameplate, which is expected to the brand’s first plug-in hybrid.
[Via: Yahoo Autos]

Continue reading...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Next RX should be moving to a RWD platform, Toyota just trademarked RX500h!

Source: https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/018319778

They also trademarked RX350h, maybe an updated version of the Crown's 2.5 L A25A-FXS I4 hybrid powertrain?

This makes me feel even more likely that TX = RX-L replacement, if the trademarks parallel those for the RX. I am pretty sure both will be on TNGA-K though.

RX 500h could be awesome... 350hp hybrid AWD RX 😍

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
This makes me feel even more likely that TX = RX-L replacement, if the trademarks parallel those for the RX. I am pretty sure both will be on TNGA-K though.

RX 500h could be awesome... 350hp hybrid AWD RX 😍

Well, cant have 300hp at front wheels and 50hp and back with FWD based platform.

It could be an e-axle? Where engine powers battery that then powers RWD e-axle system?
Or maybe just what they want to call plugin RX.