5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I just built an RX 500h FSP and X5 xDrive40i to make them as comparable as possible: features, wheel sizes, colors, tech, leather interior, upgraded audio, etc.

RX 500h: $70,575
X5: $83,425

$13k is a pretty decent difference between them, amounting to the the X5 being 18% more expensive. I think you can also make the case that TX is more comparable to X5 than the RX, and a comparable TX 500h FSP rings in at $75,925.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
I just built an RX 500h FSP and X5 xDrive40i to make them as comparable as possible: features, wheel sizes, colors, tech, leather interior, upgraded audio, etc.

RX 500h: $70,575
X5: $83,425

$13k is a pretty decent difference between them, amounting to the the X5 being 18% more expensive. I think you can also make the case that TX is more comparable to X5 than the RX, and a comparable TX 500h FSP rings in at $75,925.
500h gets the 7500 pos rebate if leased?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Most of BMW's high maintenance objects are the electronics. If you keep options basic you will save on maintenance. Lexus is still the brand to go if you want to fully option your car and want these options to work in the long run.

I just checked the maintenance record of my 440Xi and in 5 years and 100000km only USD 900 on fixing mechanical parts/electronics. It's a pretty basic option car so the simplicity helps. I only needed a manual transmission and don't care about anything else.

I did spend over 2000USD fixing tires and wheels because the roads in my area are worse than third world country. Now I regret declining the tire insurance when I bought the car.

pacman1

Follower
Reactions
You're essentially paying higher price for a better car tbh, so I don't see its value proposition like where it used to be.

As much as I love the Lexus, they really need some good turbo engines. The one on the GR Yaris is a great place to start with, double the cylinder counts and go on.
Better car in what sense? Reliability? Safer features? MPG? I presume most buyers getting a Lexus RX value those things over ability to carve corners with a SUV.

I just have no desire to blast off out of my garage 0-60 mph under 3 seconds in an SUV going to work. I would rather not pay a premium for less reliability and features that I have no use for and the price difference is enough to make that a nontrivial factor.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The pre-LCI G05 X5 isn't even good at carving corners. It has the same boat-like feeling as old RX generations. It squats under acceleration and dives under braking a lot. The new RX's chassis and suspension feel a lot better tuned. Most TNGA Lexus products I've tested so far feel one size class smaller. But the X5 wins in comfort and NVH by a wide margin. The roles of the two brands really switched in the past 5 years.

sl0519

Admirer
Reactions
The pre-LCI G05 X5 isn't even good at carving corners. It has the same boat-like feeling as old RX generations. It squats under acceleration and dives under braking a lot. The new RX's chassis and suspension feel a lot better tuned. Most TNGA Lexus products I've tested so far feel one size class smaller. But the X5 wins in comfort and NVH by a wide margin. The roles of the two brands really switched in the past 5 years.

Yea can't remember exactly which video Mark & Jack discussed about RX's deficiency where they thought the NVH (mainly from the engine) and some aspects of the chassis were its biggest downside (not sure if it's the 450h+ review). The X5, while not as sporty as it used to be, is still very playful at the limit, and its B58 engine as we all know is just above and beyond the Lexus (both in smoothness, power and gas mileage). BMW doesn't skimp on places where it's hard to reach - they use all aluminum suspension and frequency isolators to further elevate premiumness. When you add all those things up, the additional cost is certainly justified, not because it carves corner better, but because the engineering behind the scenes is what really makes the difference. Not saying the RX is a bad car; it certainly has its own demographic, but if they want to compete in the higher end space, they still got their work cut out for them.

pacman1

Follower
Reactions
Yea can't remember exactly which video Mark & Jack discussed about RX's deficiency where they thought the NVH (mainly from the engine) and some aspects of the chassis were its biggest downside (not sure if it's the 450h+ review). The X5, while not as sporty as it used to be, is still very playful at the limit, and its B58 engine as we all know is just above and beyond the Lexus (both in smoothness, power and gas mileage). BMW doesn't skimp on places where it's hard to reach - they use all aluminum suspension and frequency isolators to further elevate premiumness. When you add all those things up, the additional cost is certainly justified, not because it carves corner better, but because the engineering behind the scenes is what really makes the difference. Not saying the RX is a bad car; it certainly has its own demographic, but if they want to compete in the higher end space, they still got their work cut out for them.
I see your point, but on the other hand, Lexus is probably happy with RX sales. Which means their formula and where they decided to invest (reliability, mpg, etc.) is working. They have little reason to deviate from a successful formula.

Chasing what BMW has going for them carries the risk of compromising what people expect in a Lexus. There could be a drop in reliability, buyers might be alienated if they don’t resonate with the changes, etc. Sometimes it’s hard to chase two different objectives, especially when it comes to reliability vs performance, where they are often contradictory.

Kind of like when people want a V8 in the new GX, but they can’t do it without ditching their emission targets. And, unfortunately, in our case, it becomes harder to provide the driving experience and price point Lexus is gunning for once you start implementing exotic set ups and higher performance. Often, goals are easier to achieve when you focus on what you know you’re good at and place less emphasis on the other.

I think Lexus did a great job maintaining its reliable image in a market where performance is also expected. They might have hit the sweet spot, and if not, they’re probably very close to it.

mikeavelli

Reactions

This. The X5 isn’t that sporty as people think. My rentals have been meh. The 500h drives better to me. I do wish it had all the seat adjustments. I also love the electric split hatch of the X5.

Obviously a V-8 X5 blows the 500h out the water.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
  • Black Line Special Edition package offered exclusively on the RX 500h F SPORT Performance model
  • New exterior color option, Incognito, available with Black Line Special Edition package
  • F SPORT Design now available on RX 350 and RX 350h
  • Standard 12.3-inch multi-information display (MID) across the lineup
1724263421667.jpeg

1724263477424.jpeg

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
midcycle refresh must be finalized if Lexus is offering special editions. Sad to see no luggage like the 4th gen

Reactions
2025 Lexus RX China Version model year upgrade:

<Product power upgrade>
NVH quietness improvement
① Reduced engine noise during acceleration
② Reduced wind noise and road noise during driving
Dynamic performance improvement
Hybrid motor cooling performance improvement (RX350h)
Chassis optimization upgrade
Dynamic rear-wheel steering system DRS performance improvement (RX500h)Cockpit atmosphere lighting system
Brightness improvement (3 times brighter than the current model)
Added lighting function at the front storage tray
Changed rear reading light control method Before change: Only open or close when the door is closed After change: Can be closed when the door is open The central display screen has added a camera cleaning system operation button to improve operational convenience
<Configuration changes>
Full series upgrade 12.3-inch instrument cluster (current: 7 inches)
Additional rear window soundproof glass for all models (current: front windshield + front side windows)
RX500h comes standard with heated steering wheel (current: heated steering wheel included in the Enjoy package) Digital streaming media rearview mirror cancels automatic anti-glare ON/OFF switch to improve the overall design simplicity
<Interior color change>
RX350h/RX450h+White interior color roof color change to improve the sense of unity of interior color matching Before change: White (pure white) After change: White (off white)
RX500hF SPORT Performance adds Shadow Moonlight White two-tone interior color

larryren

Follower
Reactions
G'day LE's friends!

Lexus announced RX300 for Chinese market. As last gen, new RX300 using S20A 2.0T engine with 8AT. Same with ChDM Highlander/Crown Kluger twins.
MSRP 380k RMB≈54200 USDScreenshot_20240928_122135.jpg