4th Generation Toyota Highlander (and Grand Highlander) Thread

larryren

Follower
Reactions
Greeting LE's Friends. A chinese driver have been capture GAC-Toyota's new Highlander with D-4ST badge testing car on somewhere's highway and posted on Weibo.Rumor in Chinese social media said FAW Crown Kluger will also get turbocharge non-hybrid version this year.
But it still unclear ChDM Highlander twins will continue using old 8AR or use new T24A engine
588p1ulz06akwce39e9t9e8u6.jpg

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It will be 8AR-FTS most likely. Haven't heard of any bidding request for retooling the engine plants.

larryren

Follower
Reactions
It will be 8AR-FTS most likely. Haven't heard of any bidding request for retooling the engine plants.
ehhh I mean if using T24A, I think it will also provide by imported, same like 8AR in previous generation Highlander ChDM ver.

Will1991

Reactions
Highlander is getting the new 2.4L Turbo engine:

Same EPA rating at 24 MPG, but more torque.

The thing is, Toyota states "fuel efficiency remains the same as the V6 (...) with a manufacturer-estimated 24 MPG combined. The new engine, standard across all gas grades, is also more environmentally friendly, with more than a 50% reduction in NOx and NMOG as well as an improvement in CO2 emissions compared to the outgoing V6 engine."

Well, something fishy here because you can only reduce CO2 emissions by burning less fuel... If it has the same fuel consumption, it will produce as much CO2 has before.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Disappointing, IMO. 30 less horsepower and same MPG as the V6? Then give me the V6. Yes, more torque is going to make it feel stronger at lower RPMs but if the net-net is the same MPG, then why bother?

Also, when did Toyota start going so mild on exterior refreshes? I miss the days of new bumpers, lights and wheels because the most recent Camry, RAV4 and Highlander refreshes are barely noticeable.

I find this generation of Highlander pretty unattractive and this doesn't do much to fix it or make it look updated in a very competitive segment.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Disappointing, IMO. 30 less horsepower and same MPG as the V6? Then give me the V6. Yes, more torque is going to make it feel stronger at lower RPMs but if the net-net is the same MPG, then why bother?

Also, when did Toyota start going so mild on exterior refreshes? I miss the days of new bumpers, lights and wheels because the most recent Camry, RAV4 and Highlander refreshes are barely noticeable.

I find this generation of Highlander pretty unattractive and this doesn't do much to fix it or make it look updated in a very competitive segment.
Check out the performance/consumption difference Genesis 3.3 V6 TT and 5.0 V8 NA. 5.0 barely worse in any metric, being a smooth V8 that also sounds good makes the better engine. Unless a turbo as GR Yaris/Corolla, BMW I6 TT, V8 TT, maxed out V6 TT of Alfa Giulia QV or Mercedes AMG I4, trubo engines just don't have any advantage if not really maxed out on power.

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
Highlander is getting the new 2.4L Turbo engine:

Same EPA rating at 24 MPG, but more torque.

The thing is, Toyota states "fuel efficiency remains the same as the V6 (...) with a manufacturer-estimated 24 MPG combined. The new engine, standard across all gas grades, is also more environmentally friendly, with more than a 50% reduction in NOx and NMOG as well as an improvement in CO2 emissions compared to the outgoing V6 engine."

Well, something fishy here because you can only reduce CO2 emissions by burning less fuel... If it has the same fuel consumption, it will produce as much CO2 has before.

Another Akio Toyoda debacle.

Going forward, it looks as if the 2.4L Turbo will be the primary powertrain for many future Toyota/Lexus vehicles.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
The way most people drive these cars, the turbo engine will be faster. The 2GR-FKS only makes that big power when it is at the top of the rev band. The T24A-FTS makes between 25~40% more torque below 3600 RPM. In daily driving, it is going to feel significantly stronger.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions

If they can get away with selling folks a tinny motor on the hIhy and sienna whose saving grace is MPG, the days of the v6 were already numbered. That being said, I wonder how long before others follow in Toyota's footsteps? Its not like there many customers who demand performance in this segment, for a mfg to buck the trend and offer a HiPo V6?

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
We (myself included) complained about the GR V6 for the last 5 years and we're real close to missing and lamenting its demise. Trust me!!!

Buy GR V6 products while you can because time is running out.
Buy any v6 or v8 models one can, because in a decade those numbers will mean 0 with gas prices rising.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
If they can get away with selling folks a tinny motor on the hIhy and sienna whose saving grace is MPG, the days of the v6 were already numbered. That being said, I wonder how long before others follow in Toyota's footsteps? Its not like there many customers who demand performance in this segment, for a mfg to buck the trend and offer a HiPo V6?
The NV of the hybrid Sienna and Highlander is the only downside of that drivetrain. It is so much better on gas and my butt dyno says it performs better during day to day driving. The hybrid feels more responsive since the electric motors give instant reaction versus waiting for the transmission to decide how many gears to downshift.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
So now we can confirm that the new RX will use the same 2.4 turbo
yup the lease special trim will have that motor.
The NV of the hybrid Sienna and Highlander is the only downside of that drivetrain. It is so much better on gas and my butt dyno says it performs better during day to day driving. The hybrid feels more responsive since the electric motors give instant reaction versus waiting for the transmission to decide how many gears to downshift.
MPG is king for the demographic, regardless of sacrifices in NVH and performance on high demand loads. The sienna feels flat footed when merging on highway on ramps, or passing on the highway. However total useability is far more important then select use cases. The v6 hybrid thats currently in the RX is probably the sweet spot for the NA v6 however that will also bow out with this generation. That being said the V6 will live on with the TT setup.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The real reason is most turbocharged engine fuel economy figures are inflated. It's harder to replicate manufacturer quoted figures unless you mostly cruise on highway. It could just be Toyota didn't inflate T24's fuel economy against the V6, because they have an incentive to make it look undesirable compared to the hybrid. They used this trick for the NX.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
The real reason is most turbocharged engine fuel economy figures are inflated. It's harder to replicate manufacturer quoted figures unless you mostly cruise on highway. It could just be Toyota didn't inflate T24's fuel economy against the V6, because they have an incentive to make it look undesirable compared to the hybrid. They used this trick for the NX.
Wouldn't that negatively impact their CAFE numbers, though?

Example: selling 200k units per year with a 75:25 split from conventional:hybrid with 24 combined for conventional and 36 combined for hybrid would give a 26.5mpg fleet "average" for the Highlander line. If the real combined number were 26, but the split between hybrid and conventional looks more like 90:10 with those advertised numbers, the Highlander line would "average" 27mpg.

Cost and capacity are a total wild card here. If the T24 costs a lot more to build than the hybrid A25, they may be targeting a certain mix, but I'd have to think that the low rating would hurt the Highlander when it competes in a crowded segment.