4th Generation Toyota Highlander (and Grand Highlander) Thread

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
5th model year, no refresh...?
They're not doing full refreshes for these TNGA-K models it seems.

They're doing yearly minor updates and the MY23 powertrain changes, similar to how the Rav4 and Camry got very minor changes for MY23.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Typically I like and agree with SG, but I'm not sure handling dynamics is where sales in this category are made or lost.

For these shoppers, I think space, efficiency and tech reign supreme and the GH is vastly superior there.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Kirk Kriefels is saying Toyota may issue a stop sale on the Grand Highlander due to poor side-offset tests in the above video. In some cases, the driver’s head may slip between the side curtain airbag and front airbag and impacting the A-pillar. It sounds like this may an issue with the side curtain airbags, but it’s not clear at this point.

Lexus TX may also be affected.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

The driver restraints (airbags and seatbelts) were not the only poorly performing items; the structure and safety cage also performed less than ideally. It seems obvious that the deformed structure (A-pillar looks fine, but floor panel and firewall could be deformed) pushed the steering wheel off-centre, away from the A-pillar (which seems obvious from the picture of the driver-side front airbag), thus allowing space between the front and curtain airbags for the driver's head to slip into.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
Thats news to me. IIHS testing never really pushed a immediate stop sale from tmc, especially one that a model still managed to get an acceptable rating. The response has been usually "we are in compliance with FMVSS". Then during the mid model refresh they have addressed these deficits, but only on one side etc.

previous gen rav4 as an example.

The 2013 Toyota RAV4 received a “Poor” rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in its rigorous small-overlap crash test. Vehicles that score highly on the small overlap test are eligible for the IIHS’ Top Safety Pick+ award, but due to these results, the 2013 Toyota RAV4 will keep only its existing Top Safety Pick designation.
The small overlap test is designed to evaluate how a vehicle performs in a crash where another object impacts only part of the vehicle, simulating crashes into poles or glancing impacts with other vehicles. The test requires a vehicle traveling 40 mph to hit a stationary barrier that impacts just 25 percent of the car’s frontal width. Previously, the IIHS reported that Toyota requested a delay before the 2013 RAV4 was evaluated in the small overlap crash test. The latest small overlap test results apply only to models manufactured after April 2013.
In the test, the IIHS reported that the 2013 Toyota RAV4 received a “Poor” rating for several reasons. First, the crash-test dummy’s head moved too far sideways to hit the airbag, and the seatbelt allowed the dummy to move excessively far forward. In addition, the door hinge and pillar moved into the passenger compartment, potentially injuring the dummy’s left leg and trapping its foot inside the foot well.
A statement from Toyota said, “The IIHS periodically develops new, more severe or specialized tests that go beyond federal requirements. With the small over-lap test, the Institute has raised the bar again, and we are responding to the challenge. We are looking at a range of solutions to achieve greater crash performance in this area.” The automaker also noted that a total of 21 Toyota, Lexus, and Scion vehicles are rated Top Safety Picks by the IIHS.

The 2013 Toyota RAV4 isn’t the only crossover to fail the demanding small overlap crash test. In May, the IIHS announced that the 2013 Buick Encore, 2013 BMW X1, 2013 Ford Escape, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2013 Hyundai Tucson, 2013 Jeep Patriot, 2013 Jeep Wrangler two-door, the 2013 Kia Sportage, 2013 Mazda CX-5, 2013 Nissan Rogue, and 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan all scored either “Poor” or “Marginal” in small overlap testing.

The 2013 Toyota RAV4 debuted late last year with a fresh design, an updated interior, and slight powertrain revisions. A 176-hp, 2.5-liter inline-four engine and six-speed automatic transmission are standard; buyers pick between front- and all-wheel drive.Pricing for the 2013 Toyota RAV4 starts at $24,145, including an $845 destination charge.
Sources: IIHS, Toyota

pass side was left unresolved?

I am hearing however that some t24s were poorly assembled, specifically cross threaded oil filters that may lead to engine failure. Unsure about the details but seems to be on the taco4gs and some gh/tx owner circles

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
Toyota is conducting a noncompliance safety recall involving certain model year 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander and Lexus TX vehicles. Approximately, 145,000 vehicles are involved in this recall in the U.S.

The curtain shield airbag on the driver’s side may not deploy as intended during certain crashes if the driver’s window is rolled down. If this occurs, the vehicles may not meet a federal safety standard, increasing the risk of injury during certain crashes.

Toyota is currently developing a remedy for this issue.

Customers will be notified about this issue by the middle of August 2024.

Well i guess i eat my words?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Too much, too fast in the TNGA era.

There are lot of TSIBs and issues with Tacomas, RX 500h transmissions, GX port holds for sunroof drains and paint issues, the V35 issues, now this. Not to mention some of the recent scandals coming out of Japan.

Toyota needs to get it together.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
They have way too many product launches in the past 7 years. They have expanded the SUV lineup by 2x with even more to come while keeping the sedan lineup almost the same. The only products that got cancelled with no replacement globally were the GS and Prius V.

I hope they can stabilize a bit now that most new products will be major refreshes rather than full model changes.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
Was the issue a design problem (ie no one tested the vehicle with the windows down) or a supplier deviating from spec?

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
They have way too many product launches in the past 7 years. They have expanded the SUV lineup by 2x with even more to come while keeping the sedan lineup almost the same. The only products that got cancelled with no replacement globally were the GS and Prius V.

I hope they can stabilize a bit now that most new products will be major refreshes rather than full model changes.
I guess the motto during this era is that the Toyota reliability of yesteryear isnt a guarantee for current products.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Too much, too fast in the TNGA era.

There are lot of TSIBs and issues with Tacomas, RX 500h transmissions, GX port holds for sunroof drains and paint issues, the V35 issues, now this. Not to mention some of the recent scandals coming out of Japan.

Toyota needs to get it together.

I haven't posted here in a long time as I've been really busy with life. There is so much I can say about this but very little time to say it. So I will keep my comments on this brief. I also will keep it brief out of respect, privacy and grace to Toyota.

It goes much deeper than simply "too much too fast" in the TNGA era but that is a good way to give an extremely brief summary of it. Before I go further I will say that those who know me here know that I have never been a blind fan. I am a Toyota fan that is willing to defend Toyota when I feel they need to be, but I am also not afraid to criticize Toyota when I feel they are doing wrong.

Toyota is in a massive crisis right now, and I'm not sure if the company itself is fully aware of this. For all the good that Akio Toyota did over the years, there were also some poor decisions made in my opinion and a number of things left unresolved or not fixed. Even looking at the TNGA era with a very optimistic view, quite a few goals, ambitions and promises by the company were left either unresolved, forgotten or not achieved.

I started bringing up some of my concerns about the TNGA era years ago here and was disregarded by some on here. Toyota right now is in serious danger of alienating and pushing away many, many loyal long-time buyers. Directly related to that, Toyota is in serious danger of damaging its reputation long-term.

Edit: I know my post is very brief but at the very least I hope it reaches some needed people. I know people at Toyota sometimes read these forums, plus a number of members here have different connections at Toyota.

Last edited:

Motor

Expert
Reactions
  • Toyota’s Celebrates Twenty-Five Model Years of its Trailblazing SUV with a Unique Limited 25th Edition
  • Stylish 20-inch Alloy Wheels, Unique Interior and Exterior, and 25th Edition Logoed Accents Standard
  • Portobello Colored Leather-trimmed Interior, JBL Premium Audio, Seating for up to Seven, and Panoramic View Monitor Standard on Limited 25thEdition
  • Limited 25th Edition Features Bespoke Style that Showcases the Best of Highlander with Standard Hybrid Powertrain and Electronic All Wheel Drive
  • Available in Stunning Heavy Metal or Wind Chill Pearl Exterior Colors
  • #1 Retail Midsize SUV for Eight Years Running (2016 to 2023)
1726587271022.jpeg

1726587301327.jpeg