Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I watched some of the reviews of the new X7 M60i yesterday and it made me wonder, once again, how Lexus chose "600" for this LX.

I have mentioned it before that I feel like the LS 500's tune of the V35A-FTS should have probably been "450" and if the LX/Land Cruiser's tune has so much torque, sure, maybe that one is "500". So LS 450 and LX 500. Upcoming GX could be 450 or 400... not sure anyone cares that much.

BMW "6" = "60i = 523hp, 553lb-ft
Lexus "6" = 600 = 409hp, 479lb-ft
Mercedes "580" = 483hp, 516lb-ft

Where I really start to scratch my head is whether or not an LX hybrid will ever exist. A while ago there was a rumor of a 483hp, 600+ lb-ft of torque "LX 750h" and I really hope Lexus doesn't try to go that route with nomenclature. If they were smart, they'd just leave it at LX 650h maybe.

Anyway, Lexus' over-inflated naming scheme makes no sense to me as anything other than a marketing ploy. I know turbos and electricity change the game of "naming after displacement" but... make it make sense.

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
I watched some of the reviews of the new X7 M60i yesterday and it made me wonder, once again, how Lexus chose "600" for this LX.

I have mentioned it before that I feel like the LS 500's tune of the V35A-FTS should have probably been "450" and if the LX/Land Cruiser's tune has so much torque, sure, maybe that one is "500". So LS 450 and LX 500. Upcoming GX could be 450 or 400... not sure anyone cares that much.

Where I really start to scratch my head is whether or not an LX hybrid will ever exist. A while ago there was a rumor of a 483hp, 600+ lb-ft of torque "LX 750h" and I really hope Lexus doesn't try to go that route with nomenclature. If they were smart, they'd just leave it at LX 650h maybe.

Anyway, Lexus' over-inflated naming scheme makes no sense to me as anything other than a marketing ploy. I know turbos and electricity change the game of "naming after displacement" but... make it make sense.
You would think the LX hybrid has to arrive, maybe during an MMC (more like QMC amirite?) by Lexus' previous stated goal of an electrified option of every model by 2025.
It would also have to boast those rumored numbers to be justified IMO. Coming with an OPTIONAL engine that is the STANDARD Sequoia powertrain isn't a good look. 2025 is also the start of the SSB window, so perhaps all the stars align there.
However, seeing what the hybrid battery did to the Sequoia's third row, I'm not sure the LX needs MORE compromise.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions

It actually makes sense if you think about it. I'm gonna use the term "combined power" which really means engine's hp+tq. LS500 makes more combined power than the 2ur, so wouldn't make sense to call it LS450, also can't be called LS450 because it also makes more combined power the the LS460, so can't go down in nomenclature. Same applies to LX600. It makes more combined power than the LX570, so why call it LX500? It makes the combined power of a 6L V8 hence called LX600. The LS500 makes combined power of a 5L V8 hence called LS500. Also the successor can't go down in nomenclature than the predecessor.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It actually makes sense if you think about it. I'm gonna use the term "combined power" which really means engine's hp+tq. LS500 makes more combined power than the 2ur, so wouldn't make sense to call it LS450, also can't be called LS450 because it also makes more combined power the the LS460, so can't go down in nomenclature. Same applies to LX600. It makes more combined power than the LX570, so why call it LX500? It makes the combined power of a 6L V8 hence called LX600. The LS500 makes combined power of a 5L V8 hence called LS500. Also the successor can't go down in nomenclature than the predecessor.

Lexus names their hybrids for equivalent output of a NA engine, and I guess some of us were assuming their naming for turbocharged models would follow the same convention. The 5.0L V8 would blow the doors off the 3.4L TT V6 in a similar application, so I really don’t think the “combined output on paper” angle makes much sense unfortunately.

Lexus has gone backwards in nomenclature before - GX 470 to GX 460, so I don’t think that’s the problem. I guess you’re sort of proving out my point that Lexus doesn’t have the firepower to keep up with competitors, so they’re just calling vehicles whatever they want to try to seem competitive when their powertrains really aren’t.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Lexus names their hybrids for equivalent output of a NA engine, and I guess some of us were assuming their naming for turbocharged models would follow the same convention. The 5.0L V8 would blow the doors off the 3.4L TT V6 in a similar application, so I really don’t think the “combined output on paper” angle makes much sense unfortunately.

Lexus has gone backwards in nomenclature before - GX 470 to GX 460, so I don’t think that’s the problem. I guess you’re sort of proving out my point that Lexus doesn’t have the firepower to keep up with competitors, so they’re just calling vehicles whatever they want to try to seem competitive when their powertrains really aren’t.
Well yea I think the GX460 is the only exception, but they had to no choice but the call it GX460.

Reactions
A scathing review for the LX 600, but it's doubtful that most potential buyers will cross shop both the LX 600 & R1S.
Its much harder to get an LX than a R1S...Rivian also benefits because their direct to consumer sales is pretty much like Tesla

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I think the overinflating of numerical naming is because they still expect most buyers to be returning customers (which is almost definitely true for LX/GX). For current LX570 owners the upgrade is actually more than the 5% inflation (570->600) in name.

If they are aiming for conquest sales then it makes sense to match naming of competitors.

Reactions
If it had same achievement ratio as LS500 AWD it would do 0-60mph in 4.1-4.2s. About as fast as IS500 V8 despite having 60PS less. That combination is actually one of the best powertrains Lexus ever made only dragged down by LS500's excessive weight.
Not to mention, if paired with the much-quicker shifting 10AT, it’ll probably return the same or even better MPG than the AWD IS350 with the 6AT. The LS500 AWD is rated at 17/27, the IS350 AWD is rated at 19/26, so a V35A equipped AWD IS could maybe be around 20/30.

Side note: I’d honestly take the multi-stage 500h hybrid system in the IS if it were possible for similar reasons. More performance along with better gas mileage and AWD.

Reactions
Not to mention, if paired with the much-quicker shifting 10AT, it’ll probably return the same or even better MPG than the AWD IS350 with the 6AT. The LS500 AWD is rated at 17/27, the IS350 AWD is rated at 19/26, so a V35A equipped AWD IS could maybe be around 20/30.

Side note: I’d honestly take the multi-stage 500h hybrid system in the IS if it were possible for similar reasons. More performance along with better gas mileage and AWD.

Imagine if Lexus had the balls to do this.

The M340i is still impressive though.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Spent 24 hours in the LC, another LX and Tundra… I have the Tundra and premium LX for a few days…. I don’t want to use the 3 bears analogy but the LX feels just right. The Tundra while an incredible vehicle in its own right is just too big for me as a daily so far. It is noticeably wider and longer. It barely fits in a parking space with the rear jutting out. Driving in tighter spots and roads it feels insanely large. Amazingly it handle and drives almost like a crossover. Stunningly good on the roads.

So for now my comparison is strictly with size. So far I much prefer the size of the LX. It’s 8 inches shorter and I want to say the wheelbase is 10 inches shorter.

I just don’t get all the complaints about the size of the LX. Like holy crap reviewers want to drive mobile homes at this point. B35BEBED-0B0B-41EC-A185-D165BE3299CB.jpeg

Motor

Expert
Reactions

The LX 600 Alpine Lifestyle Concept is the product of a partnership handcrafted at the intersection of luxury and adventure. An elevated lifestyle is at the heart of this LX 600, with the unparalleled cabin refinement of the flagship SUV carefully complemented by the iconic, durable, outdoor-enthusiast YETI essentials that bring the comfort and convenience of home wherever the road takes you.

The LX 600 Alpine Lifestyle Concept was designed and curated by Hiraku Co. featuring practical and realistic enhancements like the Dissent Off-road Body Armor System, JAOS Carbon Fiber Over Fenders, Rigid Industries lighting and aggressive Vossen HF6-4 Hybrid Forged 20×9.5 Anthracite wheels paired with Bridgestone All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires.

1667313812724.jpeg

Annex Marketing incorporates more practical components for daily use with a lower, lighter, more grounded look achieved by a custom Artisan Spirits multi-piece body kit with color matched paint and exposed carbon fiber. Head-turning styling elements complete the look with HRE 540 Series wheels with a Satin Bronze Center Finish and Gloss Black Outers, custom Artisan Spirits Black Label Titanium exhaust and complementary Gloss Black Brembo B-M8 brakes.

1667314009493.jpeg