NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Surprised to see front locking diff offering. When was the last time we had a triple locked Toyota SUV? 80 series? Heck, I don't think the 200 series even had a rear locker in the US.

The LX600 Offroad also has a front locker, but I think that is (was?) a Japan only model. You’re right though, the 80 series (and LX450) was the last triple locked Toyota. Unless we include the Mega Cruiser.

I’m surprised Lexus included the front locker on the hybrid model. That front diff must be pretty robust. It sure would’ve been nice to see it offered on the GX, LC250, and TRD Pro/Trailhunter versions of the 4Runner/Taco. If that diff can take the torque of a hybrid V35, then it ought to be strong enough for any of these vehicles. Maybe a future upgrade? I wonder how easy it would be to swap in a locked front diff in a GX…

Will the LX700h Overtrail be available in the U.S.?

Kelvin2020

Admirer
Reactions
The LX600 Offroad also has a front locker, but I think that is (was?) a Japan only model. You’re right though, the 80 series (and LX450) was the last triple locked Toyota. Unless we include the Mega Cruiser.

I’m surprised Lexus included the front locker on the hybrid model. That front diff must be pretty robust. It sure would’ve been nice to see it offered on the GX, LC250, and TRD Pro/Trailhunter versions of the 4Runner/Taco. If that diff can take the torque of a hybrid V35, then it ought to be strong enough for any of these vehicles. Maybe a future upgrade? I wonder how easy it would be to swap in a locked front diff in a GX…

Will the LX700h Overtrail be available in the U.S.?
IMG_7914.jpeg
From Lexus US newsroom

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
A front locker is less useful than E-KDSS, which the LX Overtrail doesn't have. Standard AHC is going to be a pain for people who actually want to modify the vehicle for technical offroading.
Do y’all think we will see a plug-in hybrid LX in the near future? Maybe LX750h+
Not until 2040 is my guess. They insist on isolating the battery from the environment so the only place is under the 3rd row seats. Battery energy density would need to grow by 3x for a LX PHEV to be feasible. Even if they get their SSBs ready for mass production in 2030 it will take them at least a decade to use that on a BOF vehicle.

It's 2025 and they are still using a heavily derated NiMH battery that has the same capacity and less power than the battery used on a 2008 LS600h.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
A front locker is less useful than E-KDSS, which the LX Overtrail doesn't have. Standard AHC is going to be a pain for people who actually want to modify the vehicle for technical offroading.

Not until 2040 is my guess. They insist on isolating the battery from the environment so the only place is under the 3rd row seats. Battery energy density would need to grow by 3x for a LX PHEV to be feasible. Even if they get their SSBs ready for mass production in 2030 it will take them at least a decade to use that on a BOF vehicle.

It's 2025 and they are still using a heavily derated NiMH battery that has the same capacity and less power than the battery used on a 2008 LS600h.
the website and pr statement are conflicting. One says the pack is lithium another says its nimh.

Is the Lx the first hybrid system that brings a backup alternator and starter motor in case hybrid system malfunction?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I think the 4LX is the worst planned product in recent Lexus history.

Lexus keeps getting away with poor product planning because customers don't care. They want a Lexus badge and nothing else. In any market where they don't have established brand power their sales fall off when they lose competitiveness. Their failure in China is not just because of lacking EVs, the trend started when they try to charge people twice the money for less equipment than a Camry (ES200).

1) launched without a hybrid version, 3 years late compared to Tundra.
2) all trims below Luxury and VIP are heavily decontented. Standard equipment and features are worse than $50k SUVs. Still no panoroof in 2025. At this price level, Luxury should be the base trim!
3) VIP trim launched without a front wireless charger. I guess "our data suggest that chauffeurs don't need to charge their phones".
4) VIP trim a "chauffeur car" has less legroom than ES sedan.
5) JDM-exclusive Off-road trim. Who buys a LX for offroading in Japan? And that trim has 31 inch tires, less ground clearance than standard trim, front lip spoilers to reduce approach angle, but somehow needs a front locker.
6) All the extra length compared to GX is in the front and rear overhangs instead of actual interior space. 3rd row is no more useful than GX.
7) F-Sport Handling trim nobody asked for. Who needs strong cornering performance on a full size BOF SUV?

Reactions
Im eyeing the 700h to add to my GX garage but olny if it get at least 500HP. If not then Im seriously considering MB AMG.
Getting tired with Lexus low Hp's. Also like to add GX should have at least 400hp.
Well, I guess you should get a G-Class then. It'll have what you want.

Kelvin2020

Admirer
Reactions
Im eyeing the 700h to add to my GX garage but olny if it get at least 500HP. If not then Im seriously considering MB AMG.
Getting tired with Lexus low Hp's. Also like to add GX should have at least 400hp.
Even though I have some complaints about the LX, I think I’ll still want to get an LX700h (OT) in a few years to replace my current 550. I hope by then they can push it to at least 500hp

Last edited: