4th Generation 2024 Toyota Tacoma Thread

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
If this ends up being true I would be very disappointed. They should be offering more hybrids not so limited. Look at Camry, and Rav4. They sell lots of hybrids. Venza and Sienna is hybrid only and selling well. Look at the push over at Lexus… seems odd if they do hybrid on such a small variant of such a great truck.
i think the hybrid will be optional on Limited, Platinum (which I predict will be new for next gen) and standard on TRD Pro. we could also get a base 2.5 hybrid only for the worktruck SR trim.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
i think the hybrid will be optional on Limited, Platinum (which I predict will be new for next gen) and standard on TRD Pro. we could also get a base 2.5 hybrid only for the worktruck SR trim.
Ya that would be a mistake in my opinion. It should be offered on basically every trim just like Camry or Rav4. The Tacoma is a big seller, not everyone wants to drop $50k+ on a midsize and that’s what I would predict the limited to be with a hybrid. I love the way my TRD sport is fitted out. I’d take that again with a hybrid powertrain all day!

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
go to 1:42, well it's confirmed that next year we will see tacoma. It was earlier than I thought. That means we could be getting 4runner late this year or early next year since it was always due before the tacoma!

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Another Big Reason why Toyota needs a new gen Tacoma/GX.

Old platforms keep flunking IIHS crash tests in the same exact way. Last gen Rav4 had this issue as well.
We may be arguing in circles here. Consider this...

Toyota could make the Tacoma pass the test but will not because there is a new one on the way that it is sure will pass the test with flying colours.

... I just read the full article. Toyota claims that it has made changes that will allow the Tacoma to pass the test.

Toyota is aware of The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) passenger side small overlap tests of an extended cab version of MY2021-22 Tacoma trucks. Following the 2021 Tacoma test, we reviewed the available test information, conducted evaluations, and analyzed the data. We implemented a production change in October, which resulted in the improved IIHS rating change for the extended cab 2022 Tacoma with regard to this test.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
We may be arguing in circles here. Consider this...

Toyota could make the Tacoma pass the test but will not because there is a new one on the way that it is sure will pass the test with flying colours.

... I just read the full article. Toyota claims that it has made changes that will allow the Tacoma to pass the test.
Why is their such a difference between cab size and crash performance? The crew cabs faired better then their extended cabs even after the modifications.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Why is their such a difference between cab size and crash performance? The crew cabs faired better then their extended cabs even after the modifications.
The extended cab models don't have a B pillar that runs from floor to ceiling of the cab. That's a massive difference in rigidity.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
A lot of media is speculating the top end system that was launched in the Crown is what may end up being dumped into the Taco, and by extension the 4R.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
A lot of media is speculating the top end system that was launched in the Crown is what may end up being dumped into the Taco, and by extension the 4R.
The Crown CUV is getting the same drivetrain as RX. It’s FF based and will not fit in TNGA-F Tacoma or 4R.

Trob20

Fan
Reactions
In terms of a having a power train like the new hybrid max, does anyone think Toyota could possibly use the detuned 3.5 TT in the I-Force Max?

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
1659045650514.png
New Colorado debuted today. Has a 2.7T I4 with the HO version making 310hp 390lb-ft. The ZR2 gets a tq bump to 430lb-ft. Can tow 7700lbs. The new Tacoma with its 2.4T is already down on power and torque, and probaly won't be able to tow 7700lbs. Maybe the hybrid version can match the power and torque while getting a little better mpg. Hopefully Toyota can go all out on the hybrid version.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
New Colorado is impressive and GM is in their sweet spot right now (good for them). New products are very competitive with solid powertrains and nice interiors... two historical low points for GM. The top powertrain of 310hp and 390-430lb-ft is awesome and Toyota can't just ignore that part of the market or show up with something that is drastically less powerful.

I assume the T24A-FTS will be retuned for BOF SUV and truck duty, but there's a wide gap between ~275hp/320lb-ft of torque and 310hp/430lb-ft of torque. Hopefully the 4Runner and Tacoma get the "500h" powertrain of 340-370hp and 400+ lb-ft as optional.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
New Colorado is impressive and GM is in their sweet spot right now (good for them). New products are very competitive with solid powertrains and nice interiors... two historical low points for GM. The top powertrain of 310hp and 390-430lb-ft is awesome and Toyota can't just ignore that part of the market or show up with something that is drastically less powerful.

I assume the T24A-FTS will be retuned for BOF SUV and truck duty, but there's a wide gap between ~275hp/320lb-ft of torque and 310hp/430lb-ft of torque. Hopefully the 4Runner and Tacoma get the "500h" powertrain of 340-370hp and 400+ lb-ft as optional.

The top powertrains of the Colorado are reserved for the Trailboss, Z71, and ZR2, and possibly a potential future High Country trim since the LT is the highest non-offroad trim right now. I think it was rumoured the TRD Pro(and maybe a Capstone like the Tundra?) models will be getting a detuned 3.4TT V6? If this is the case, I don't think Toyota will have any issue. If they don't get the 3.4TT V6.. that'll be a bit more concerning.

Regarding the T24, it will have no problem competing with the standard WT/LT trim Colorados with the 237hp/259lb-ft of torque trim level. I'm sure the T24 is going to be re-engineered to be torquier and stronger for the body-on-frame vehicles anyways, and the hybrid models will offer even more torque.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
The top powertrains of the Colorado are reserved for the Trailboss, Z71, and ZR2, and possibly a potential future High Country trim since the LT is the highest non-offroad trim right now. I think it was rumoured the TRD Pro(and maybe a Capstone like the Tundra?) models will be getting a detuned 3.4TT V6? If this is the case, I don't think Toyota will have any issue. If they don't get the 3.4TT V6.. that'll be a bit more concerning.

Regarding the T24, it will have no problem competing with the standard WT/LT trim Colorados with the 237hp/259lb-ft of torque trim level. I'm sure the T24 is going to be re-engineered to be torquier and stronger for the body-on-frame vehicles anyways, and the hybrid models will offer even more torque.
I don't think 4R and Taco will get v6 they will get hybrid as top powertrain like TRD PRO Tundra. FOr T24, I think it will be around 250-260hp and 330lbft. Hp is a little dry on the motor.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
By no means am I an expert, simply a Toyota enthusiast and Tacoma owner but I don’t think Toyota is going to go lightly on the new Tacoma. People seem to be comparing the changes of the latest Tundra to it which I don’t think has much relationship at all other than sharing the F1 platform. Toyota knows the Tundra won’t be #1 in sales for it’s segment but recognizes its customers. The Tacoma is completely different, it is number 1 and Toyota isn’t going to lose that, they’re playing tough. I’d almost be willing to bet they had inside knowledge of Colorado development so they knew what they were up against with this new Taco. It certainly will be fun to see when it finally gets unveiled.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
By no means am I an expert, simply a Toyota enthusiast and Tacoma owner but I don’t think Toyota is going to go lightly on the new Tacoma. People seem to be comparing the changes of the latest Tundra to it which I don’t think has much relationship at all other than sharing the F1 platform. Toyota knows the Tundra won’t be #1 in sales for it’s segment but recognizes its customers. The Tacoma is completely different, it is number 1 and Toyota isn’t going to lose that, they’re playing tough. I’d almost be willing to bet they had inside knowledge of Colorado development so they knew what they were up against with this new Taco. It certainly will be fun to see when it finally gets unveiled.

this is nothing new. Tacoma and Hilux have been down forever on power and torque compared to Fordsm Chevy's and VWs they compete with. Power is not the reason people buy these.

And yeah, they have been upping the power as well.